Coconut Wax

Does anyone have any experience using straight Coconut Wax to make candles? I did a search and didn't find much, most of it was about coconut oil, which I'm assuming is different then Coconut Wax. I also want to offer a non Paraffin / Parasoy blend candle but I don't want to use soy (way too many issues and hype for me) and I'm not at all interest in Palm Wax either, but I suppose that the coconut wax will have its own set of issues...lol

I ordered a sample from Swans and I'm going to start with CD wicks but if anyone has tried this wax and has an opinion on it I would love to hear it.

Thanks for any help ;)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, it is rather pricey, and shipping from WA to FL is expensive, I did a search but couldn't find any East Coast suppliers that carry it. If it turns out to be something I like it will definitly be for a more luxury type of candle, but I'm a long way from there yet. I will post my experience with it and let you know how it goes. I'm hoping to get started on it this weekend :yay:

I ordered it on 11/9/10 late in the day and I just got it today so I would discount the first day and say it took 7 days, not bad considering how far it needed to travel...lol I I got the 10lb sample and it was $17 to ship via Fed Ex, It was a little pricey to ship but considering I'm only a couple hundred miles from Cuba, I guess that wasnt bad....lol I did get a quote for the 55lbs and I don't remember how much but I do remember that I thought it was reasonable, considering the distance...lol

Coconut wax is very interesting. I'm trying to stay away from paraffin as well.

Pure coconut wax will be very soft. If it isn't the consistency of thick gel, then it has had something added to it for hardness. I looked at Swans but didn't read closely enough to see if it is 100% pure coconut wax or has added additives. If it has additives, I'd like to know what they are.

I tried that last year, my invoice is dated oct 26, 2009. That was about the time I got on this forum. I got 11lb for 19.99. It was a slab and I still have some of it. I mailed some to a fellow forum member haven't heard how it went yet.

My experience would have been better with wicking but I was head strong about the status jars and couldn't wick them correctly. I'll have to pull it out and test it again in a hex jar. The problem is the $$$ and the shipping $$$ for me. If I remember correctly it had great HT, They suggested HTP wicks and I can't find my notes but I don't have a bad feeling about it if your willing to pay the price, go for it:yay:I will try some this weekend and let you know my new results. I have learned so much here since then, I kinda lost interest:confused:

Coconut wax is very interesting. I'm trying to stay away from paraffin as well.

Pure coconut wax will be very soft. If it isn't the consistency of thick gel, then it has had something added to it for hardness. I looked at Swans but didn't read closely enough to see if it is 100% pure coconut wax or has added additives. If it has additives, I'd like to know what they are.

The web site says it has other ingredients. Wonder what they are? Do they give you any idea what's in it????

I have tried it about 1 1/2 years ago. At that time they had pure coconut wax and also a coconut blend, I ordered them both. I liked them both but noticed the blend had perfect adhesion and much like soy the scent got better and better as it cured. The two problems I had were the cost was so high with shipping to Chicago but mostly it was almost impossible to wick for me. Swans kept telling me HTP's were the best but like I said that was a while back so it looks like they suggest cd's now. Coconut is a very white smooth and creamy wax and made a really pretty candle. I will have to pull out my old notes and see what else I wrote about it! Now that I have a little more experience under my belt, I may give it a re-try even though the cost is a bit high, if it makes a great candle it's worth it. Good Luck and keep us posted.

I know that Voluspa Le Maison Collection used coconut wax, but they say only 50% they don't really reveal what the other waxes are in the mix, here is what they say....

After years of research and development, Voluspa has launched a new wax blend now used for all Voluspa candles. This proprietary wax blend, first used in the Maison collection, is more than 50% natural coconut wax, and contains other naturals such as apricot wax. Voluspa is one of the first candle companies to use coconut wax commercially, and have been working for 2 years on perfecting its use for candles.

Coconut wax is made by first collecting coconuts and then cold pressing the oil out of the meat of the coconut. That coconut oil is then turned in to coconut wax through the process of hydrogenation which is the same process by which soy wax is made.

The Features of this new blend are:

*Extremely clean burning. Independent lab tests show that this new proprietary coconut based wax burns 90% cleaner than a 100% soy wax candle of the same size and fragrance.

• Beautiful creamy white look and feel.
  • Holds a high volume of fragrance.
  • Works well with perfume fragrance. Doesn’t interfere with fragrance or turn rancid like soy wax.
  • Ecologically Sound, Pesticide-free manufacturing

I dont ever intend to stop using my Para/Soy blend, I have no issues with either paraffin or soy wax but I do not want to offer a 100% soy wax, I do like the idea of the coconut wax, I just hope that it does not go the same way as soy with all the trumped up hype and bashing that goes along with it.

Edited by lsbennis

I dont ever intend to stop using my Para/Soy blend, I have no issues with either paraffin or soy wax but I do not want to offer a 100% soy wax, I do like the idea of the coconut wax, I just hope that it does not go the same way as soy with all the trumped up hype and bashing that goes along with it.

I would love using coconut wax. Love coconut anything so when it get to my suppliers I will sure give it a try...

I tried that last year, my invoice is dated oct 26, 2009. That was about the time I got on this forum. I got 11lb for 19.99. It was a slab and I still have some of it. I mailed some to a fellow forum member haven't heard how it went yet.

My experience would have been better with wicking but I was head strong about the status jars and couldn't wick them correctly. I'll have to pull it out and test it again in a hex jar. The problem is the $$$ and the shipping $$$ for me. If I remember correctly it had great HT, They suggested HTP wicks and I can't find my notes but I don't have a bad feeling about it if your willing to pay the price, go for it:yay:I will try some this weekend and let you know my new results. I have learned so much here since then, I kinda lost interest:confused:

It's me....and here are a couple I just poured tonight.

25% Coconut wax with 75% GW464...in the 10oz I am using CD12 & in the 6oz is a CD6 the scent is a blend of Bourbon Vanilla & Peppermint EO. I will keep you posted, I will pour some with a higher Coconut wax percentage tomorrow night. :)

Those look great Kyme, nice smooth tops and creamy white. I'm really interested to hear how it will affect the scent and burn of the soy. I played hookie from work today so I could play with my coconut wax...lol, its such an addiction! lol :rolleyes2

I just poured 3 100% coconut wax candles no color with Elements Whispers Of Love in Libby 11oz tumblers. I used CD12, HTP83, and a 51z. Going to let them cure until Sat then burn them. I'm really curious to hear how they perform with soy in them. I use 464 so I'm going to mix that in with it next.

My question...why are they the only source? I mean is it proprietary, do they make it themselves? They even have that olive & parafin blend, I have never heard of that one.

I brought the 10oz candle with me to work, and it's taunting me. I can't wait to see how it throws. Patience has never been one of my virtues...lol

From what I could find on the internet the coco wax is made by Accu-Blend in CA, according to their site they also have the Olive Oil Blend and Canola Oil Blend, but the site says it will be available soon. I sent them an email yesterday and asked them if this wax was located anywhere else in the country, I'm still waiting to hear back.

http://www.accu-blend.com/HTML%20Files/new_products_1.htm