Wow, scentsy is that good huh?

dixiegal

Doesn't seem fair that scenty is allowed to sell at shows that are for handmade goods. Wonder if these sellers say they made them?

I went back into the store today to check on my stock. Same lady there. I didnt say anything to the owner, cause I just cant bring myself to complain jobs are too hard to come by in our area and I'm sure this lady needs her job too.

Any way, I said hi to her and she mentioned my tarts again and asked if I had any flowery smells. I had some Tuscan Blossom ( olive blossom )on the shelf and handed her one which she bought ( go figure,lol ) then she asked if I had any warmers. I just bought some from candlewarmers and had pics on my phone, she asked for a price I told her. She mentioned having some scentsy warmers and I asked what she paid for them, $35.00:shocked2: She bought 2 of my warmers, and asked if I had any candy apple tarts. Now mind you I'm happy for the business but why buy them if she didn't like the pumpkin? Oh she did say her sister and aunt sell scentsy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to update as to the show I previously posted about where it stated hand made items only and a scentsy booth was there. We contacted them and asked why they allowed non hand made vendors into the show when they specifically stated none would be allowed... this was the answer... they did not have enough hand made vendors to fill the spots so they opened it up to non hand made vendors to fill the remaining spots and they hand picked the ones they thought were the least offensive as far as not being hand made. The rep there must have been an exception b/c she did not yell, overtalk or any of the other bad behavior's that so many of the reps seem to have, maybe that's why she didn't sell much of anything. It really does amaze me though that poeple are so willing to pay so much money for a product that has so many rude salespeople. I have been to shows before when a rep will walk by our booth and give the most evil looks, why? Are you that threatened by us little people??? Even if I did not make my own I surely wouldn't spend a penny on their products simply b/c of the rude and unprofessional manner so many of the reps portray. I have never used them so I can't comment on how good they are, but, to me if you have a nasty rude attitude I'm not spending one red cent.

Dixiegal, maybe she remembered to take her manner pill that day. Glad you got some sales!!

Edited by pleasureridgecandles

I am sorry that the shop worker was not considerate and was unprofessional in trying to promote another product at your expense!!

I know that a lot of small home based candle makers make great quality tarts & candles at a better price than Scentsy!

The one thing Scentsy does have that I wish we could buy is their very unique warmers. Where in the heck do they get all those great looking warmers & plug in's and we only have a very limited choice from our manufactures?!

The one thing Scentsy does have that I wish we could buy is their very unique warmers. Where in the heck do they get all those great looking warmers & plug in's and we only have a very limited choice from our manufactures?!

China. They have them custom made in a factory in China - in house designers.. so they are 100% their own designs. I dont sell warmers unless someone requests them, so I am glad they have so many pretty warmers so that I can then sell tarts to their customers for less:laugh2:

I pulled the claws out on this one... my little sign next to my tarts now says at the bottom:

.5oz more, $2.00 less, and HANDPOURED in OGDEN, UT!

we'll see if that catches some attention:angry2:

Doesn't seem fair that scenty is allowed to sell at shows that are for handmade goods. Wonder if these sellers say they made them?

I went back into the store today to check on my stock. Same lady there. I didnt say anything to the owner, cause I just cant bring myself to complain jobs are too hard to come by in our area and I'm sure this lady needs her job too.

Any way, I said hi to her and she mentioned my tarts again and asked if I had any flowery smells. I had some Tuscan Blossom ( olive blossom )on the shelf and handed her one which she bought ( go figure,lol ) then she asked if I had any warmers. I just bought some from candlewarmers and had pics on my phone, she asked for a price I told her. She mentioned having some scentsy warmers and I asked what she paid for them, $35.00:shocked2: She bought 2 of my warmers, and asked if I had any candy apple tarts. Now mind you I'm happy for the business but why buy them if she didn't like the pumpkin? Oh she did say her sister and aunt sell scentsy

Yay, im glad she pulled her head out of her butt on that one... nice job making it positive!! :yay:

... I am glad they have so many pretty warmers so that I can then sell tarts to their customers for less:laugh2:

I pulled the claws out on this one... my little sign next to my tarts now says at the bottom:

.5oz more, $2.00 less, and HANDPOURED in OGDEN, UT!

At some past shows my melts out-sold the candles because of all the warmers out there.

But I AM going to steal that sign wording! Great idea, Luminous.

lol cute story. Is she an older lady? I ask because my mil doesn't burn my tarts but she leaves them setting around her house and swears she can smell them unopened,lol. I would tend not to believe her but shes always wanting new scents when the seasons change.

Dixiegal, I can't possibly say she's an older lady because she looked about my age:laugh2:(mid-50s). Unfortunately, SOME people would call that older--I believe I thought so, too, 20 or so years ago!!

Jane

Dixiegal, I can't possibly say she's an older lady because she looked about my age:laugh2:(mid-50s). Unfortunately, SOME people would call that older--I believe I thought so, too, 20 or so years ago!!

Jane

:laugh2:shes young! Mid 40s here:laugh2:

I notice that with a lot of things, we have a small farm and I sell my eggs. I've had several people tell me that no way would they buy eggs that came out of a nasty chicken, they only buy theirs from a store.:shocked2: Funny because no way would I buy mine from a store, I know my chicken coop is clean and I know what mine are fed:cheesy2:

I notice that with a lot of things, we have a small farm and I sell my eggs. I've had several people tell me that no way would they buy eggs that came out of a nasty chicken, they only buy theirs from a store.:shocked2: Funny because no way would I buy mine from a store, I know my chicken coop is clean and I know what mine are fed:cheesy2:

OMG, your eggs come from a chicken! I prefer the magic ones that appear in the cartons. I've only found these at stores. :rolleyes2

Cheers,

Steve

Sharon in KY, I believe you're so right. You can even tell by the facial expression that many people, as soon as they hear "I made them", start feeling a bad case of hives coming on, lol[/

Sadly, I think this is do to the idea that anyone can melt wax and add scent. I can't be the only seller who has had a customer whose curiosity about my candle making made my red flag moment. She started by asking just very basic questions as she happily purchases my tarts and candles..then her questions got more and more detailed...hello, red flag number 2. Next thing I know she 's selling candles. But...all of the information that I withheld from her, eventually caused the demise

of her business. I never got into conversations about pouring temps and wicking and oil to wax ratios, and I don't believe that she ever really grasped the concept that melting down wax and adding some f.o does not a candlemaker make.

WOW

That sounds so familiar. Unfortunately most people are so ignorant about how marketing draws them into buying things thata manufactured. I for one can say that the best things I have ever had I have made myself or made or made by anyother crafts person.

America is actually very much in need of makers.

Dan

Edited by Miadrianel Candles
My ipod has gone crazy

I find it rather strange that people still think that name brand, more expensive means better. Especially in today's economy that people are still so willing to pay double the price for something just b/c they think it's better not knowing for sure that it is. I used to be one of those I gotta have the $85.00 pair of jeans, but, I realized they get holes just the same as the 20.00 ones and I found that they didn't last any longer being expensive and name brand. Same thing applies here. As a matter of fact I had a lady approach me at a show we did yesterday who told me she had bought some of our "tarts" last year at this show and she loved them. She said she also had gotten some of the name brand expensive ones (and she did say the name also) and she was very disappointed in them as were her grand daughters. She wanted to let me know that she thought mine were better. Gotta love that kind of praise... now if others would catch on to the concept it would help out so many of us who actually put our time, passion and love into making our products. Another thing I just thought of is if someone wants a particular scent that one of us candlemakers doesn't have we would get that scent to make them just for that customer. Are any of these name brand more expensive companies gonna do that for one person....NO!! So aside from all the other factors that seperate us little people from the big companies...customer service and the lengths that many of us will go to for a customer. Us little people actually care about our customers, do you think any of the big companies know who you are or remember what scents you normally buy or even care a bit whether you are happy with your purchase or not?? This should speak volumes to people.

Have they seen the reports on the poor chickens that are bred for egg production? OMG, they can't move, their toes/claws grow around the cage bottom wire. You should find the report web address and hand them out. That should change their minds. I wish we had more honest inspectors.

As I am reading this post to the left in the ad box is an ad for Scentsy...:angry2:

I love their styles of warmers but I personally heard a rep tell a lady that their burners cant use anything but their tarts and their tarts wont work in other burners????

Same person came to my booth and asked me.. I told her it is all science. Wax melts.. melt pool lets fragrance out. Wax doesnt care how melted: electric warmer, tea light, bowl on stove.. match...lol

I have several steady customers who have Scentsy warmers but come to me for tarts. People are loving the sports team warmers that Scentsy has.

Have they seen the reports on the poor chickens that are bred for egg production? OMG, they can't move, their toes/claws grow around the cage bottom wire. You should find the report web address and hand them out. That should change their minds. I wish we had more honest inspectors.

Commercial eggs are down right scary these days.

Thank her for her feedback and then...Tell her everyone's nose is different and all your other customers have loved the scent throw from your melts. Then thank her again for the feedback.

By thanking her it will look good to the other customers around. They probably already have noticed she is rude!

Trudi

by telling her that no one else has complained, you are essentially telling her that her opinion doesn't count which is NOT a good move IMO.

I'd offer her a replacement and thank her for her input.

(srsly, once I went to a restaurant and ordered ribs. they came to the table cold below the surface. the manager responded "well no one else has complained". well so what - *I* had a complaint and was being told it wasn't valid. screw that.)

Out of curiosity, I had to check out that link Johnna mentioned and discovered something that surprised me. I had noticed that Scentsy had changed the look of their packaging (I assume so the "little guys'" melt packages wouldn't look like theirs!). And I also had noticed that the weight on the new package was 3.2 oz where their old package had been less than 3 oz, so ours held more than theirs. Thought they had changed that with their new package that now holds 3.2 oz.

But I just re-read the label and the new shape clamshells say:

3.2 fl oz/Net wt 2.6 oz

Looks like ours are still larger than theirs--I guess the total weight of 3.2 oz includes the weight of the package. And it looks like theirs are divided into at least 8 melts, so they must be really tiny; I couldn't see exactly how many from the picture.

Just found this interesting...........

Edited by Alajane

by telling her that no one else has complained, you are essentially telling her that her opinion doesn't count which is NOT a good move IMO.

I'd offer her a replacement and thank her for her input.

(srsly, once I went to a restaurant and ordered ribs. they came to the table cold below the surface. the manager responded "well no one else has complained". well so what - *I* had a complaint and was being told it wasn't valid. screw that.)

I see your point, honestly I didn't think of it that way. I'll keep it in mind if it ever comes up again. As for offering her a replacement, since it was free and I get the feeling she's hard to please I didn't feel obligated. She did buy another scent from me and this morning said it didn't melt at all in her warmer.:confused: Honestly I don't see how, but I did offer her a refund, she declined so I went out to my truck and got a tealight warmer I use to give away with big orders and gave it to her with some tealights and told her to try that and see if it did better.

But I just re-read the label and the new shape clamshells say:

3.2 fl oz/Net wt 2.6 oz

Ok nosey me had to go look at their online catalog. If you go to page 36 right hand corner the Autumn Sunset it has the 3.2 fl oz/Net wt 2.6oz. I would never have noticed it if Alajane hadn't mentioned it A nice little bit of knowledge to have for shows.