KY Tart/Votive Wax...out of stock...AGAIN!

countyline

Mary ... I also have some surgery on the horizon so know what you mean about wanting to really get behind making some tarts. I'm hoping to get some made in the next day or two. Best of luck to both of us surgery-wise :smiley2:

Blessings,

Shirlee

Hi Shirlee, how's the testing coming? I finished my first batch and the cold throw in not good. I'm going to try them in my warmer today and hope that's better. The website says to heat to 180, remove and add fo then pour at 175. I heated mine to 170, added the fo, them poured at 150 like Ravens but I'm doing something wrong. How are your's coming out? I wish I had Raven locally so we could have a candle class!! That would be great because I'm better at learning from someone by watching than following instructions. I must be leaving out a step. Hope your doing better. I'm going to try a strong scent, maybe the scent was light and will take longer to cure.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mary, I answered your post in the other thread, and I'm here scratching my head; what could be wrong? Hmmm.

In my experience, the majority of FOs throw really great in this wax; which ones did you try?

Don't know if I mentioned this anywhere else, but in one day I had more than one person tell me how much better, stronger and longer-lasting my tarts are compared to Scentsy (it made MY day, I tell you!).

I don't know, perhaps follow the instructions that Loren has posted; better yet, give him a call or send an email.

Now I know that some FOs throw really weak. For example, I love Bedford Falls (The Candle Source) and Sugared Plums (I think it's Peak's) and Havana (JBN), but give them a big "F" - the FO/wax combination just doesn't work.

I asked Loren about Beford Falls and he said the same, it's not a good thrower (so maybe it's the FO and not his wax?)

Let us know when you hear back from him; he's really helpful.:)

Oh, little chicken me tried the candle I made using Winter Night and Loren's wax. You should have seen me, so excited I had a tough time going to sleep. I had tried it before with no success, no throw whatsoever.

So I called Loren who suggested zinc wicks. Did I use zinc wicks? Heck, no - I guess subconsciously I thought "If it works then I'll have nothing to moan about":rolleyes2

But eventually I did it. Used the 6oz tins from Candle Science; it worked, it worked, it worked, the very first candle that I could smell from across the room:yay: Ecstatic doesn't begin to express how I felt. Now I'm having "Candle block" (just made up the word, hehe). Want to try the same size (6oz tin), same wick, but different FO, but I'm scared it'll be a big flop.... somebody give me that kick in the butt, please:cheesy2:

Oh, little chicken me tried the candle I made using Winter Night and Loren's wax. You should have seen me, so excited I had a tough time going to sleep. I had tried it before with no success, no throw whatsoever.

So I called Loren who suggested zinc wicks. Did I use zinc wicks? Heck, no - I guess subconsciously I thought "If it works then I'll have nothing to moan about":rolleyes2

But eventually I did it. Used the 6oz tins from Candle Science; it worked, it worked, it worked, the very first candle that I could smell from across the room:yay: Ecstatic doesn't begin to express how I felt. Now I'm having "Candle block" (just made up the word, hehe). Want to try the same size (6oz tin), same wick, but different FO, but I'm scared it'll be a big flop.... somebody give me that kick in the butt, please:cheesy2:

That's great girl! Congratulations on your success. I'm going to try the container candles today and I use the zinc wicks. Would you suggest I start with the same wick i use in my 8 oz jelly jars that I use with my other wax? And by the way we can't kick you in the butt, WE NEED YOU CONSCIOUS YOUR OUR LIFELINE TO CANDLE MAKING!:yay:

Hi Shirlee, how's the testing coming? I finished my first batch and the cold throw in not good. I'm going to try them in my warmer today and hope that's better. The website says to heat to 180, remove and add fo then pour at 175. I heated mine to 170, added the fo, them poured at 150 like Ravens but I'm doing something wrong. How are your's coming out? I wish I had Raven locally so we could have a candle class!! That would be great because I'm better at learning from someone by watching than following instructions. I must be leaving out a step. Hope your doing better. I'm going to try a strong scent, maybe the scent was light and will take longer to cure.

Hi Mary! Sadly I haven't done any testing at all. I've kind of been overwhelmed with a few other things here. I hope to do some testing this weekend because Monday I see a second surgeon & if I decide to go with them then my surgery will be next Friday instead of the following Thursday (with surgeon #1) & then who knows when I'm going to get anything done. Sounds like you maybe hit a snag of some sort with your fragrance throw? I'm watching to see what you find out.

Blessings,

Shirlee

Oh, Mary0050, this chicken is plain scared to advise you on wicks... I'm just so terrible at it. The tin worked beautifully and I believe I owe it all to Loren (yup, called him up and picked his brains, hehe).

Last night I went back to the other candles I poured using TCS wax and "my" wicks (from LX to CD to paper, to ECO). Thought that after all this time perhaps some had improved. but they all failed miserably, too big of a flame, tunneling, none had any HT, just a big mess. But this tin is my baby, I'm so pleased with it. Now I don't want to ruin my pleasure by trying a different FO and bomb it again:sad2:

My friend says that if you try, at least you're doing something and may be successful at it, whereas if you just sit on your keester (like I'm doing), you know you ain't going to accomplish diddly and you'll keep wondering "what if..." Ok, I will ponder on that bit of advice - easy for her to say, she doesn't have the addiction! :rolleyes2

You don't have to cut off the metal tabs just turn the wick upside down in there and cut off what you need you will be left with a short wick and tab to use later on for another candle maybe a short jar. The wick will be left dangling in there without a tab but this candle is for test purposes only just hit the wick in the jar with a heat gun to set it back up in place.

Barb

Edited by Barbara AL

Thank you, BarbaraAL !

Unfortunately I read this after I poured a couple of tins, 8oz. each, using TCS wax.

Mary 0050, I noted every step as I was at the "cauldron", and here is what I did:

Melted the Candle Source wax (exactly one pound) in my Presto pot.

When fully melted I poured 1.3oz of Aspen Forest (Bert's) at 175 degrees. I stirred the FO in the melted wax for 45 seconds, then put the mixture in a large pyrex cup (the cup was at room temp, not heated).

Just before pouring into the tins, I stuck the thermometer in the wax and it registered 145 degrees. Used zinc wicks in both tins (44-32-18 and the 51z). They're setting, still too soft to remove the wick tabs.

Thought I'd stop being a chicken and try a different FO. Though I cannot smell a thing because of my sinus problem, I thought that by the time my nose and head clear up, the candles should be ready for testing.

Will keep you posted. :smiley2:

Thank you, BarbaraAL !

Unfortunately I read this after I poured a couple of tins, 8oz. each, using TCS wax.

Mary 0050, I noted every step as I was at the "cauldron", and here is what I did:

Melted the Candle Source wax (exactly one pound) in my Presto pot.

When fully melted I poured 1.3oz of Aspen Forest (Bert's) at 175 degrees. I stirred the FO in the melted wax for 45 seconds, then put the mixture in a large pyrex cup (the cup was at room temp, not heated).

Just before pouring into the tins, I stuck the thermometer in the wax and it registered 145 degrees. Used zinc wicks in both tins (44-32-18 and the 51z). They're setting, still too soft to remove the wick tabs.

Thought I'd stop being a chicken and try a different FO. Though I cannot smell a thing because of my sinus problem, I thought that by the time my nose and head clear up, the candles should be ready for testing.

Will keep you posted. :smiley2:

Thanks so much Raven! I'm going to do that with my tins today. I called Loren like you suggested at Candle Source and he was GREAT! I was doing a couple of things wrong like putting my tarts in the freezer so I could get them to pop out quicker. He said that's a NO NO. After your tarts are just skimmed over the top to the point where you can move them and not have them spill put them in the refrigerator! That seals the fo into the was slower and better. It worked! I poured some Sweet Potato Pie and the ct was great! Before when I let them sit out before bagging them you could barely smell them for at least 3 or 4 days. I'm EXCITED! Thanks so much for your help and will follow your directions and bar the door Nelly we're going to be making Great candles and Tarts! This wax is the BOMB! Let me know how yours turn out and hope your over the sinus problem soon!

Hi Mary! Sadly I haven't done any testing at all. I've kind of been overwhelmed with a few other things here. I hope to do some testing this weekend because Monday I see a second surgeon & if I decide to go with them then my surgery will be next Friday instead of the following Thursday (with surgeon #1) & then who knows when I'm going to get anything done. Sounds like you maybe hit a snag of some sort with your fragrance throw? I'm watching to see what you find out.

Blessings,

Shirlee

Shirlee please keep us posted when your up to it how your surgery went. Wish we could be there to help out with housework and errands. I'll keep you in my prayers!:)

Shirlee, as Mary0050 said, please do keep us posted; praying for you, dear.

Last night I mixed LS Autumn Lodge with my TCS wax, popped the tarts out of the mold (I use a mini muffins pan) and put them in a glass canister. was so tempted to try one this morning, but I managed some self-control... I only sniffed them, and I sure liked what I smelled. There is something in that FO that reminds me of sweet pipe tobacco; it sure smells good! There they are, sitting on the shelf, luring me, but I will be strong, I will prevail and will not touch them or smell them again until Saturday, I promise :rolleyes2 Then I'll post my results (never used this FO before).