KY Tart/Votive Wax...out of stock...AGAIN!

countyline

I have used TCS' container blend for well over 5 years and it's fabulous! It makes a beautiful jar candle ( needs a repour however for smooth tops ) and it makes killer tarts! FO's are hit and miss really in this wax. I have tried a gazillion other waxes but always come back to Loren's container blend! Like Raven said...if he ever discontinues this wax I will hang myself! :laugh2:

I heat to 180-185, add FO and pour at 160F for containers ( for tarts I pour a little cooler so they don't get the "dimples")

Zinc wicks work fabulously in this wax! I used a 51Z in both 8oz Jelly and Square Mason Jars and bump up to a 60Z for those FO's that we all know need a bump in wicks. For Apo Jars I use 2-51Z's

If anyone needs any help with this wax feel free to email me or send me a private message.

mzlara@charter.net

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Start testing this wax this morning most of my fo's are from bnc, bcs and ng. I'm a bit worried to hear it may stick to clamshells, makes me wonder how it will work for silicone molds since I use both. Going to try in a candle or 2 to see if I can wick better but I'm still hoping to get 464 worked out as my candle wax.

Oh forgot to ask.. those that where waiting on ky wax.. I got my backorder of this wax 2 days ago and heated some to test last night. The first wax I got about a month ago looked different than this wax.. this new wax when heated is very cloudy, the last wasn't. SInce this is the 2nd time I've got this wax I'm not sure which is the norm, the clear or the cloudy.

Edited by dixiegal

SharonKay ... I will have to order those scents too, especially the Fireside Inn. I love spicy scents & that one sounds fantastic!

My order from TCS is scheduled to be delivered today!

What amount of fragrance should I add to the container blend? Is it 2 oz. FO max per pound of wax?

Blessings,

Shirlee

Lizzy...Thanks so much for the information. I can't wait ti try this wax. When you talk about the fragrance oils being hit or miss in this wax, are you talking about The Candlesource oils or just any oils in general? Do you have any suggestions for great throwers in fragrance oils?

Shirlee...I haven't used this wax as of yet but the information on the site says: Fragrance Load Rating - 8.5% Max. That is what I used in my wax I was using and it had a great throw. I love both the Fireside Inn and the Winter Blast from Wildfire Creations but I think Fireside Inn is my favorite. I'm hoping to order The Candlesource wax in the next week. I just had a major car repair (blown head gasket :sad2:) so things are a bit tight right now.

Sharon Kay

SharonKay, for me the very good throwers with this wax are:

Hansel&Gretel (Candle science), Amish Harvest (Peak's), Bamboo sugarcane (AH), Black Magic (Candlesource), South Pacific waters (Candlesource), Winter Night (Daystar), White Tea&ginger (Peak's), Dreamcatcher (AH), Liquid Crack (Daystar), Oakmoss sage (AH), Wine&roses (BCS), Dragon's blood (Elements), Honey patchouli (Elements), Crisp&candied (NG), Flapper girl (Daystar), Pear Spice (Peak's).

These are the ones that I can think of; will have to check my notes and see which other FOs are VERY good throwers for me, but I know I have a long, long list.

Running low on this wax, ordered more last night; can't wait!

Ravens.

Thanks so much for the list a very good throwers. I have samples of several of those. Have you tried Caramelized Pralines from CS in this wax. I think my two favorite oils are Caramelized Pralines and Amish Quilt from AH. I so hope these work well in The Candlesource wax. I am hoping to order some next week.

Sharon Kay

Shirlee...I haven't used this wax as of yet but the information on the site says: Fragrance Load Rating - 8.5% Max. That is what I used in my wax I was using and it had a great throw. I love both the Fireside Inn and the Winter Blast from Wildfire Creations but I think Fireside Inn is my favorite. I'm hoping to order The Candlesource wax in the next week. I just had a major car repair (blown head gasket :sad2:) so things are a bit tight right now.

Sharon Kay

SharonKay ... Why does life make us spend money on things other than wax & FOs? Lol!

I'm sorry but "8.5% max" is Greek to me. 8.5% of what? All I know is ounces : (

I did buy 6 or 7 FOs from CS along with my wax so I will post how they work for me.

Blessings,

Shirlee

Lizzy...Thanks so much for the information. I can't wait ti try this wax. When you talk about the fragrance oils being hit or miss in this wax, are you talking about The Candlesource oils or just any oils in general? Do you have any suggestions for great throwers in fragrance oils?

Sharon Kay

TCS' oils all throw great in their wax...it's what they test their FO's in :)

I have had great throw with JS' FO's, some of NG's and some of BCN's and CS as well. Also Bert's Rasberry Brulee throws well in this wax.

Edited by Lizzy

I made 3 batches of tarts with the Candle Source wax yesterday...using it for the first time. I like 'em strong, so I maxed out the scent at 8.5%. To make it easier, I just added an oz of FO (Peak White Tea & Ginger, CSource Granny's Zucchini Bread, and CSource J&J Bedtime Bath) to 12 oz of wax. I liked working with the wax, but it was kinda hard to get the tarts out of the molds. Maybe they needed to sit for longer...I don't know. I was able to get a few clamshells and several tarts out of each batch. They seem to have good cold throw. Will wait probably at least a week or so before I test them.

I'm itchin' to make the Black Magic now that I have a sample of that to use up. lol

Oh, and don't get me started on the WF FO. Just get one of each! Fireside Inn is one of my all-time favorites! Also love her Cactus Lime Sugar, Spiced Cranberry, Vanilla Romance, Pumpkin Pie Spice, and Tin Star.

I love... Celtic Moonspice from AH, one of my favorites!

Shirlee... 8.5% per pound (16 oz)would be 1.36 ounces of fragrance oil. The way I figure this out is to multilpy the number of ounces of wax that I am using x 8.5% so if i were using 16 ounces I would figure 16 x 8.5% = 1.36 ounces of fragrance oil. If I were using 12 ounces of wax I would figure 12 x 8.5% = 1.02 ounces of fragrance oil. If I was using 2 lbs of wax I would figure 32 ounces of wax times 8.5% = 2.72 ounces of fragrance oil. It's easier for me to work with ounces. I'm sure everyone has their own way to figure out amounts, this is just the easiest way for me. I hope this helps you.

Sharon Kay

Thanks Ravens & SharonKay!

I received my shipment from CS this afternoon. I didn't notice the Fed Ex guy was here until he was at the end of the driveway. He didn't bother to knock at the door ... he just left the box outside the garage. I went out to get it & then had to call my husband to bring it in for me. Holy cow, it was heavy! I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered 2 slabs. I thought 1 slab = 1 pound but I think 1 slab must equal 10 pounds because the weight noted on the box is 24 pounds! What do I do with these things ... keep slicing some off until I have a pound of it measured out?

The FOs I ordered from them are Hollydazzle, Sugared Spruce, The Great Pumpkin, Blue Christmas, Christmas Splendor, Christmas Tree, & Gingerbread.

I also ordered some little metal tart molds. Has anyone ever used these? I never have & I'm wondering how easy it is to get the tarts out of them when they've set ... do I just pop them out like you pop the melted wax out of your burner when you're done with it?

Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait until I get some bags to cure the tarts in as well as some bags to store them in before I make any :sad2:

Blessings,

Shirlee

Shirlee... I don't know how hard this wax is but all the wax I have used in the past is soft enough for me to use my soap cutter on. I first start off having an idea how many pounds I want to use then I start cutting sections of the slab off then I cut the sections into cubes and put them in a large bowl I have just for cut up wax. I usually cut up a whole bowl full and if I don't use it all I put the remainder in a large ziplock baggie and put it in my cupboard. I make my tarts in 2 ounce portion cups with lids then they can just be popped out and put in a tart burner. This way they cure in the container. I am thinking with this wax it may be best to place them in the freezer for about 10 minutes before melting them that way you turn the cup over and they pop right into your hand. When you get tired of that fragrance you can pour the melted wax right back into the container, clean your bowl and put another fragrance on. That's what I did with Raven's tarts after I melted them (her tarts smell do good). The wax sets back up in your cup, you put the lid back on and use it again when your ready for that scent. I've used the portion cups and the clamshells and I prefer the cups, but then that's just me. The tarts are just as cute as can be too.

I am ordering 3 slabs of wax and some of their 1 oz. fragrance oils on Monday morning. I live in California so I am hoping I might have them by Wednesday or Thursday. How do you like your fragrances out of bottle?

Looking forward to hearing how you like the wax and fragrance oils.

Sharon Kay :cheesy2:

Oh forgot to ask.. those that where waiting on ky wax.. I got my backorder of this wax 2 days ago and heated some to test last night. The first wax I got about a month ago looked different than this wax.. this new wax when heated is very cloudy, the last wasn't. SInce this is the 2nd time I've got this wax I'm not sure which is the norm, the clear or the cloudy.

Well, this is not good news! Her tart wax has always been clear....the parasoy container wax is cloudy though. I'll be busting in to my newly arrived cases in the next couple of weeks. She told me that she hadn't had time to "test" this round of wax. Hope that's not a code word for "this ain't the same stuff we usually get" :angry2:

I'm dying to try the wax from TCS....I just wish it were a parasoy :(

Shirlee, I always pour the CandleSource wax in metal molds, the fluted ones. I have also used silicone mold and soap molds. The wax releases from all of them. If I have any problem (I rarely do) with the metal molds, I put them in the freezer for a few minutes and the tarts always pop out beautifully.

I love Sugared Spruce!

Nmhoneybear, there is not a hint of pine in Winter Night; it vaguely reminds me of Celtic Moonspice from AH.

Just sent a response to your PM. :smiley2:

You're going to love Peak's White Tea & Ginger in the Candle Source wax; one of my best sellers!

Ravens, I purchased the White Tea Y Ginger from the candle supplier close to my house. Can't wait to try it. Is there a reason you can't cure tarts in ziploc bags? Is there something else since I do not now the bags you use? Thanks and if your ever down this way since you live in Texas too let me know and we'll visit the Janise Joplin museum I heard it was nice. Thanks!

Hello, Mary0050

The Janis Joplin museum sounds cool; if I do head your way, I will let you know for sure.

From what I've heard and read, zip lock bags will suck the scent out of the tarts. When you buy "plastic" bags make sure they're polypropylene, NOT polyethylene. I let my tarts cure in lined Kraft bags. I'm sure you could let the tarts cure in some type of glass container also; in fact that's where I store my inventory of tarts, in those large glass containers with metal lids that you can buy at Walmart. HTH, and ttyl :smiley2:

Hello, Mary0050

The Janis Joplin museum sounds cool; if I do head your way, I will let you know for sure.

From what I've heard and read, zip lock bags will suck the scent out of the tarts. When you buy "plastic" bags make sure they're polypropylene, NOT polyethylene. I let my tarts cure in lined Kraft bags. I'm sure you could let the tarts cure in some type of glass container also; in fact that's where I store my inventory of tarts, in those large glass containers with metal lids that you can buy at Walmart. HTH, and ttyl :smiley2:

Thanks so much Raven, that answers the question why my tarts started out strong but were weak. I had never heard that, that's why this is the best forum on the internet! Thanks again!

That's what I had been told too ... that the plastic in the Ziploc type bags sucks the scent right out of the tarts. Someone clued me in on that last year hereon this forum ... thank goodness :)

If you gals go to the Janis Joplin museum you'll have to let me know what it was like. I saw her in concert when I was a teenager (my first date actually!) & had a big poster of her in my room. What a talent she was. It's a shame her addictions ended her life like they did.

Blessings,

Shirlee

Well, this is not good news! Her tart wax has always been clear....the parasoy container wax is cloudy though. I'll be busting in to my newly arrived cases in the next couple of weeks. She told me that she hadn't had time to "test" this round of wax. Hope that's not a code word for "this ain't the same stuff we usually get" :angry2:

I'm dying to try the wax from TCS....I just wish it were a parasoy :(

Both orders of mine where parasoy tart. 1st order was clear when melted 2nd was cloudy. If the parasoy is suppose to be cloudy maybe my 1st order was different. Testing a few tarts in the new order to see if I get the same results.

Think someone mentioned pouring the CandleSource wax in clamshells. Just to let you know, a poured several fragrances in the clamshells, and tried them all last night.

By "tried them all" I mean that I made certain none were stuck to the clamshell, and sure enough they all pulled away easily, very clean, no squished wax, no breakage.

So if you're worried about pouring this wax in clamshells, go ahead and try it; worked great for me :cheesy2: