empty shotgun shells in gel candles

dixiegal

I have never made gel candles but would love to make some like Iv seen with shotgun shells in them for my 7 brother in laws. No shortage of emptied shells around here but I dont understand how used shells could be safe in something that has fire in it. Have any of y'all made these.

I don't do gel candles or use shotgun shells, but is seems that since the powder is what is explosive, you would be ok as long as the shell is thoroughly cleaned.

I don't know for certain though just by semi-logical :P evaluation.

Are you using them whole (closed) or are the cutting the shell open?

Unfortunately, I've never seen the ones you are talking about, but they could be made safely if you use either a double glass method, or have the flame extinguish before it meets anything flammable or something that would melt with the heat.

Empty shotgun shells do not have any more gun powder in them, so they wouldn't explode. I can see where if the flame came in contact with the plastic casing that remains, it would melt them, but if the shotgun shells are left in the outside of the inner glass, you wouldn't have that problem in a double glass candle. If you want to go for a single shot gun shell in the bottom, you can have the wick go through it, but have something to stop (extinguish) the flame before it gets down that far. I use a small metal bead crimped on my wick to stop the flame from traveling further into my Martini glasses, to keep it away form my fake olives that the wick goes through.

I hope that helps a little.

thanks for all the ideas. I did a search trying to find a photo to show them to y'all, funny thing is I cant find one photo online but I have seen them several times in a few stores around here, mostly in the fall and recently I saw them in a western wear store in Texas. I bought some a few years back and burned them. I do remember they didnt burn all the way down and wish I had taken a photo of them. One had shotgun shells in it and they other had 22 shells.

I have seen I usually find those in sporting good stores also the one with fishing lures and a few other hunter fishing themes. I even have some silicone molds that are shot gun shells I was planning to make some and then never got around to it.

I have seen I usually find those in sporting good stores also the one with fishing lures and a few other hunter fishing themes. I even have some silicone molds that are shot gun shells I was planning to make some and then never got around to it.

Vicky do you remember where you bought those molds?

Yea I do but she is not in business anymore she sold out years ago. It was Janet from creative gems. I am not sure she sold the master for that mold. She sold a lot of master to differant mold makers but as I have not seen them since she quit I would bet not.

I wouldn't be too concerned about any explosives left in the shotgun shells; however, I would be more worried about lead. Spent casing still have lead. Any time you handle guns, bullets, magazines, and shells you need to take precautions (such as not touching your mouth or nose or eyes while handling these items, changing clothes and washing up after, etc.). I don't know if there would be a lot of lead. Maybe wash the casings really well to be safe. I've spent a lot of time around ranges and always try to aware of the dangers of lead... just my two cents.

Yea I do but she is not in business anymore she sold out years ago. It was Janet from creative gems. I am not sure she sold the master for that mold. She sold a lot of master to differant mold makers but as I have not seen them since she quit I would bet not.

Thanks anyway vicky:D

I wouldn't be too concerned about any explosives left in the shotgun shells; however, I would be more worried about lead. Spent casing still have lead. Any time you handle guns, bullets, magazines, and shells you need to take precautions (such as not touching your mouth or nose or eyes while handling these items, changing clothes and washing up after, etc.). I don't know if there would be a lot of lead. Maybe wash the casings really well to be safe. I've spent a lot of time around ranges and always try to aware of the dangers of lead... just my two cents.

Wow I didnt even think about lead. Good point, thank you for bringing it to my attention

I just did another search on these and found them here

http://www.gwcandles.com/sportsman.html.

I wonder if they have the wick crimped so it won't burn down to the bottom or if maybe they under wick them. I can't tell a whole lot from the pic I really would like to make some of these.

It looks like they would have to crimp the wicks on some of them because all of the shells don't seem to be around the edge of the candle container.

Edited by ladysj

I just did another search on these and found them here

http://www.gwcandles.com/sportsman.html.

I wonder if they have the wick crimped so it won't burn down to the bottom or if maybe they under wick them. I can't tell a whole lot from the pic I really would like to make some of these.

It looks like they would have to crimp the wicks on some of them because all of the shells don't seem to be around the edge of the candle container.

I looked all over the net and couldnt find a photo. Glad you found one. Makes me want to try gel candles. would love to order one just to try and figure it out but wow they have a big price one them!

what about checking a reloading supply.

you can probably buy them empty..and brand new..

Gun clubs sell them for shooters who are old school re-loaders. Look for a shotgun sports glub in your area, they will be happy to help. Plus if they are a big enough club to have a pro-shop that would probaly love to market them. Good contact for that type of theme. I have never seen them at any events we have held, only the christmas lights covered with the hulls.

Kyme

• 2 weeks later...
I made the shoot gun shell. I am trying to pour them in wax with grey.. But I can't make that copper color.. for the bottom. Any suggestions?

What about using honey (dye) then after you take them out of the mold touch them up with some mica, in a gold color. So it would look like the brass on the bottom of the shell. IMHO

Kyme

I made the shoot gun shell. I am trying to pour them in wax with grey.. But I can't make that copper color.. for the bottom. Any suggestions?

Hubby uses some shells that are red with a dull silver bottom. I've been collecting them because I like the way they look better than the copper bottoms. You may want to try that.

BTW I had to go back to Texas last week and stay with my Mom because she had surgery and stopped back by that store to get another look at the candles. They where real, spent shells.. to keep the flame off the shells they kind of built protection around the flame with river rocks, and stacked them up a bit in the middle around the wick. I was going to bring one home with me but the price was almost 30 bucks so I just looked it over real good then drew a sketch of it when I got back in my truck.