Golden Brands GW444 test result thread

We have a whole range of pour temps that seem to work for most. The whole point of the 444 and 449 was the hotter pour temps, and the inherent time savings. So far, the 449 has the hottest pour temp and smoothest top. Check out this whole thread and the 449 thread and you should get great pointers.

Welcome also! :yay:

the geek

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ADSOY,

I am finding people are having luck pouring as follows:

Blends:

444- between 135-145

449- between 150-160

423- between 165-175

Soy:

402- between 100-110

415- between 100-110

435 (soy/cotton) between 100-110

Folks, let me know if you feel this is not right, or if you have had better luck pouring at different temps.

Jason

My day is already off to a better start thanks to Jason & Geek! Looks like I need to sample the 449 though as I would really like to have smoother tops.

Has anyone experimented with the GB stearines? If I continue to have sink hole problems I think I'll have to try one but would love some pointers first.

Thank you !

Linda

Hi Jason,

Thanks! Kris @ Gateway has been a great help but she didn't know about the stearines. Since Gateway doesn't carry them who should I order from? (Texas area).

One more question - do I need to heat the GBwax blends to a higher temp than the pouring temp or is it OK to just heat to the pouring temp? I've read so many differing opinions but none specifically for GB brands.

I've been heating to 175* but it would save time to just heat to the pouring temp if possible.

Linda

Hi Breanna and everyone else too:)

Have you tested the 444 yet? I'm very anxious to know if you like it the same or better than the 449. I've experiemented all day with the 444 with mostly good results. The only advice I could find online was to pour at 110*- which was slushy but set up very nicely - except the top was frothy and uneven. Heat gun helped but surface is not smooth and creamy like I would prefer. Sure glad I hunted until I found this forum. Thank you, Linda

HI the 444 is best poured @ 130.

Hi Breanna,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm encouraged:yay: by your results and will now try for better results here. What temp did you heat and what temp did you add the FO?

This forum is the best thing since the internet - you guys are awesome:thumbsup:

Linda

Hi Breanna,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm encouraged:yay: by your results and will now try for better results here. What temp did you heat and what temp did you add the FO?

This forum is the best thing since the internet - you guys are awesome:thumbsup:

Linda

HI Linda,,,sorry I forgot to put the temps in,,,okay I melted my wax to 170 because I was using Vanilla Passion and my experiance with this FO tells me it needs to be hot enough to get a nice blending,,,Vanillas seem harder to blend so it was perfect,,,heat to 170 add color, stir (not fast) let heat reduce,,keep stirring SLOWLY because of air bubbles,,,the @ 150 I stopped stirring and the Poured @ 145,,,It is on its 4th burn,,this is going to be my marathon burn,,,Looks Great,,I really LOVE this wax,,,,HTH,,,I really love our CT family,,,everyone is great !!!!! :D MERRY CHRISTMAS,,,

Merry Christmas to all as well! I finally got the last of the fund raiser candles poured and delivered yesterday, and that makes 150 candles I poured for all my projects since October! I'm ready for a break now. Time to sit back and watch the Colts game and hopefully enjoy a victory!

your geek santa chee

someone asked about frosting... well all 3 that I got gw423, 444, 449 all fosted on side of mouth opening also I poured a candle of the 423 and in the mason jar it totally cracked all the way through the wax as for burning a voltive it burned a hole all the way through the center but left the outer edge what causes that? and another question I bought essential oils and went to the site to see how much to mix but didnt find directions on it so I poured 1/2 oz to 16 oz wax and OMG the peppermint knocked me down just about is there a difference between the essential oils and the fragrance oils? I hate to sound stupid so forgive me if I sound dense and does anyone have a good company that offers the essential oils reasonably cheap for someone on social security

Sincerely

Mickie

where did you guys get this 444? It is something new I am new to all of this so I am not sure..

I got my samples from Gateway in St. Louis, they're a dist. for Golden Brands.

Kris is super helpful 877-220-1963. Tell her Linda sent ya!

someone asked about frosting... well all 3 that I got gw423, 444, 449 all fosted on side of mouth opening also I poured a candle of the 423 and in the mason jar it totally cracked all the way through the wax as for burning a voltive it burned a hole all the way through the center but left the outer edge what causes that? and another question I bought essential oils and went to the site to see how much to mix but didnt find directions on it so I poured 1/2 oz to 16 oz wax and OMG the peppermint knocked me down just about is there a difference between the essential oils and the fragrance oils? I hate to sound stupid so forgive me if I sound dense and does anyone have a good company that offers the essential oils reasonably cheap for someone on social security

Well, where to start? :grin2: Couldn't tell you about the cracking on the 423, I haven't tried it. Did you use straight 423 or did you add any other wax-type ingredient? On the votive, you might need to wick up, sound like your votive tunnelled. On the essential oils, those are tricky to use in wax. 1/2 oz per lb may be alot to use, but I'm no expert on it. You could probably get regular FO for less money than EO, unless you are using EOs for a specific reason, ie all natural candles.

Let us know what temps you poured what waxes at, wick used, etc. then we could help better. :grin2:

your geek

HI everyone!!! thought I would bring in findings,,,,I did the 423 first as Pillars are my favorite,,,,

Okay,,,,3x6.5 mold,,,24 flat ply flat braid, 1 oz Vanilla Passion FO to 1LB 423,,I did NOT add anything to it,,,wanted to try it without adding any other wax,,,Set up real good,,poked hole reliefs,, did one re-pour,,,It has been burning now for 3 hours,,,,I have a great melt pool and I have 1/4 inch walls,,,Burning very good!!! The cold throw is great and the Hot Throw is awesome!!!! I have found a new love,,,,this pillar wax,,,

Hi Breanna,

Me again - I'm experimenting with the pillars & 423 tonight but so far DISASTER :confused: . Please advise what melt and pour temp you used for the pillar? Thank you, I]

Edit - Breanna - I think you clarified this for me already -Sorry, I'm pretty saturated at this point. You've been a great help.

I received my samples from the distributor for my area which is Gateway Foods in St.Louis (Kris @877-220-1963) but Jason may be able to help you out also or direct you to your distributor. Jason and Kris both are really great :D .

Linda

I received my samples from the distributor for my area which is Gateway Foods in St.Louis (Kris @877-220-1963) but Jason may be able to help you out also or direct you to your distributor. Jason and Kris both are really great :D .

Linda

Actually they are in Dupo, Illinois about 30 minutes south east of St. Louis,,,, and Linda is right they are both nice folks!!!! :D MERRY CHRISTMAS

Well, I tried a 4 oz tin..... heated to 180 and added .25 oz black cherry FO. Poured at 140. Got a nice smooth top...walked away happy. Happiness left after 5 minutes when the circular crack showed up. Reheated and poured at 130. No crack this time however the finish was not smooth. I heat gunned a couple of times and the surface cracked.

Will try another...maybe pour at 135 next time.

I finally got around to pouring a few testers of 444 and 449. I really don't like the 449 at all. The color mottled and the surface texture was like the face of the moon. After burning it also got that white line where the bottom of the melt pool was.

The 444 however was quite a different story. I did get a circular crack as some people have mentioned but that doesn't bother me since my current wax has to be tinkered with to get a smooth top too. The color looked good, didn't mottle or frost. I colored it dark green as that color does tend to mottle or frost a lot and it looked great. The other I left white as the wax when melted looked really yellow to me so I was concerned about that but it set up fine, didn't look yellow at all. I poured them around 160 degrees. Scented one with spicey apples & peaches and the other with cucumber mint, CD12 wick was too small so trying CD14 (9 oz hex jar). I don't do a final judge of scent throw until a week cure but they are smelling good already and it has only been a couple of days. Cold throw was good too. so far I'm impressed.

I tested again today....heat 180....6.25% black cherry FO....pour 135

4 oz is perfect! no heat gunning or anything

8 oz got the circular crack. Wondering if I should pour the 8 oz at 130 or less? Feel free to chime in! Will test burn in a couple of days. I'll pour some colored ones later.

One question for those that have tested this wax...did you find sediment in it after it was melted? mine seemed to have quite a bit.

post-1605-13945838953_thumb.jpg