Attention GB 464 users

Hi there,

I have been in a testing frenzie:tongue2: with the GB 464 wax.

I have been a c3 user and wanted to try a new wax that I have read good things about...the 464.

Anyways, I love the wax, it turns out so smooth with little to mostly no frosting, no sink holes, mottling, etc. However, I am so dissapointed with the scent throw. With the C3 wax, I would always get a good scent throw (with most scents)the next day when I was just testing the wicks. With the 464 I get little to no scent throw when testing the wicks and for the scents that I am getting a good scent throw, it is a faint smell.

For those of you who are using the 464, how long in general would you say you let your candles cure before getting an "excellent" throw.

Some of you have said on here that the throw is amazing and I am just so confused at that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am using quality FO's and have tested with 3 different wicks. I really like the way the wax behaves with the exception of one of the most important things to me......the scent throw.

Thank you

Christina

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

That is disappointing news. I have been using CBAdvanced for a few years and I am tired of the scent throw, so this week I ordered 3 (10 pound bags) of different types of soy wax from CS, along with 10 lbs. of feather palm wax. I ordered GB464, C3, Ecosoya135. Candle Science raves about the GB464, so I had high hopes for that wax. I've been looking forward all week for these to get here so I can play and test. They will be here today.

Don't be dissapointed or discouraged...It'll just take time to work out the kinks. I have heard some good things about that wax so I won't be giving up just yet...I am going to do a little more experimenting this weekend...I've got tons of the stuff so I may as well!

I'm going to try different batches...One with the coconut oil and one without...I'll also try using the maximum percentage of fragrance oil....and different cure times....I'll report back with my results!

:yay:

I add 2tsp's per pound of coconut oil, and they have great scent throw.

Does it effect your wicking? And does it make it frost less or more?

I have regular coconut oil for making soap. (76 degree) is that the kind to use?

And have you done comparison tests with and without or is this something you have always done? Does that make sense - haha

the 76 degrees is what I use, as far as frosting, I don't use dyes, unless special requested. I like the natural wax and then I have to worry about less issues. I mostly use heavy square containers, and I put 3 wicks (RRD 37) in the 24oz ones. I have used the Apothecary containers with 1 wick RRD 55.

Well, I got the testers poured up last night with the 3 types of soy wax I bought to sample (as mentioned above). I can't wait to see how the tests go. It'll be hard to wait for curing. I made each with the same exact methods, same jar, same scent, dye, same pouring temps, and the same wick. I figured this would be a good starting point for each that way I can compare the results accurately. Then later I'll tweak each one here and there, as needed, as I go through my testing.

I still have high hopes for the 464! :yay:

yes please let us know your testing results! Also if you figure out what is hindering your scent throw, please let us know. I too worked with this wax and loved how you could pour hot. I used the eco and cd wicks. My concern was also the scent throw, I switched from 464 to 435 and have even more problems! lol. Cure time, quality or fo, wicks, and amount of fo all affected the scent throw, but there still seems to be a point I can't get past!

Hi, I am new to candlemaking and have only used the 464, so I dont have anything to compare it to, but I am now getting great fragrance throws, i had to do lots of research and reading on line, as I am still doing. I didnt know about adding the coconut oil. Lots of testing too. I have found that not all fragrances work equally as strong in this wax. Here is what I do: I heat the wax to 175-180. add my color, remove from heat, cool to 170, no more than 175, add 1.6 weighed oz of oil ( maybe that is too much compared to what most people use, and thats also why I get a good HT? idk?????). This is done at 1# also. Then I pour around 170, in 8oz jelly jars. I did notice that my candles set up MUCH better when poured at a hotter temp. I let them cure atleast for 2 days, but notice that some do better when cured even longer, like a week. I am now trying to figure out what fragrances I can expect to do well in this wax. To help save you some money, here is what I have tried and works great in this wax, all from CS~ Hansel and gretels house, pumpkin souffle, BEST seller~ will never buy another pumpkin again, banana nut bread, blueberry cheesecake, and I liked the strudel and spice too. Hope this helps:)

From my initial tests, from the pour, and 1 day of cure time, the cold throw is the same for all 3 waxes at this point. All have similar tops too. None of them were completely smooth which is OK with me. Right now I am looking for scent throw. I'll deal with tops later.

The 3 waxes I'm testing:

C-3, GB464, CB135

Scent - All 3 using CS's Lavender Vanilla, same jar, wick, FO ratio and dye.

I'm using LX wicks because I prefer the self trimming and they work well with soy waxes.

I went ahead and did tea light burn tests tonight with the 3 waxes to check burn time. (This is not a scent throw test)

Used TL-28 wicks and the clear plastic cups from CS. Still the same formulas with scent and dye, etc.

CB135 burned up quick. This one was disappointing. Customers would definitely not be happy with a tea light that burns up that quick. This is my least favorite of the 3 waxes so far, so I'm not sure I will pursue trying to wick it again with a different wick.

C-3 Was next to burn out about 30 mins. later, but I like this wax enough to order a smaller wick and try again.

GB464 - It's an hour later since the other 2 burned out and it is still going steady, slow and a full melt. Very impressive burn results!

So in my tea light (wick&wax) test, GB464 is the clear leader for long lasting burn time. I am very impressed!

Kandlenuts, you got it. That is what I do too. I get great through. Hot and cold. I pour them hot, and cool them fast with fans in front of the air conditioner. This seems to makes them smoother. I always use that much in my candles. I know some are less. But this way, I know what they will do. Just my own way. :yay:I also love the CS scents.

QUOTE]C-3 Was next to burn out about 30 mins. later, but I like this wax enough to order a smaller wick and try again.

I use C-3 and a lot of of CS scents but I use TL 21 for my tealights. I also use the clear tealight cups from CS. Even my heavier scents use TL 21. In fact, if I wanted to mess around more, I could probably go lower on some oils.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...