wick which way?

Hi! Still trying to wick my 415 soy. For the first time, I had a candle with a steady flame. It was a RRD 40 in a 8 oz. straight jelly jar with slight color, almost full load of FO, and 1 Tbsp./lb. of natural additive. But, it took like 6 hours to get a full melt pool on all burns which effected the throw. I tried to wick up to an RRD 47 and the flicker comes back. Now what? Needless to say, I have ordered 4 different soys and will test them. But in the meantime, I feel like I should be able to get something to work. Thanks for all the help...makes all my failures easier! :) Beth

I say forget about the flicker and go with the wick that gives you the best burn. A lot of things can cause flickering in a candle. Personally I don't worry about how much my candle flickers as long as wicks are getting the job done in the proper amount of time. :)

I hear you :) I have been trying to get steady flames in my soy containters for a year and half and have finally got it - basically by accident by switching soys. It seems if your soy is hard to burn (and compared to paraffin - they are in general), you have to use a larger wick of course, then the flame is hotter so it needs more O2, it struggles for that and thats what causes the flicker - making its own draft. It gets worse as is gets down into the container.

Basically what Kaybee23 says - you'll have to decide what you want. You need a deep hot meltpool for a large scent throw. I went for a slightly less deep meltpool and a steady flame - but the longer it burns, the deeper it gets. 6 hours is WAY too long for a 2 3/4" diameter jar either way as you know. Are you trying to get a full meltpool on the first burn? Now that I wouldn't worry about - but I know some people do. A full meltpool on the second or third is fine by me. I usually burn for about 3 or 4 hours and see how it does.

I don't know who's FOs you are using but if they aren't good - then don't use them. Meaning if you have to add a ton of it to even smell it - switch FOs or suppliers.

I've not used your soy or additive or RRD wicking - but the ROC for an LX21 is exactly in between an RRD 40 and 47. Now, with that being said when I was using a soy/cottonseed blend I used an LX26 in about your size jar so you may have to go up to that or even a 28 in your soy. (RRDs are cored, LXs aren't so the LXs are cooler wicks). Sorry, I just can't give you a less of a spread of sizes to try. You may also want to look at http://server.com/WebApps/db-view.cgi?id=71493. (Though I've seen LX entries that I don't know how they are doing it).

All this is my opinion, hope you find something that works. Sorry if I confused you more!

EDIT: Check both of these out also:

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Discussions;action=display;num=1074230291

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1110307504