Do you use wick stickums or the glue gun with high melt point glue sticks?

In the beginning of my candle venture, I used wick stickums and then heard some negative things and switched to the glue gun. I was at Michaels and I did not see just straight "high melting point" glue sticks but the ones that said low, med, high. The worker said it can work for all heat levels. So, I used them and found that the wicks would slide when the wax got near the bottom. :mad: So, I retested some of the candles I had with the stickums and burned them way down and they did not budge. I just recently went to another store and found the "high melt" point glue sticks - not three temps in one. I have not tested them yet, but is this what you all use with success? I have been using the stickums lately but would rather use the glue sticks if I know for sure they will STICK.

Thanks. :)

I have only been doing soy candles for about 6 months and have always used the wick stick-ums. I have never had a problem with them sliding, as a matter of fact I usually have to pry them out with a knife or something when I clean my test jars to use them again.

I use the Diamond Cubes from Michaels with a glue pot...you can find them in the glue gun section; in a bag, hanging on a peg. Just stick my wick tab in the glue and onward I go. Once I switched to these Diamond Cubes, I have not had a problem with the wick moving whatsoever! HTH

Hi everyone,,I am venturing into container candles,,I do paraffin but seen this thread and decided to ask,,anyway,,After you use your hot melt glue gun and you attach it to the container,,do you let it set and dry before pouring the wax? :confused:

Thanks you guys for your input. :) It looks like for many of you the stickums have worked really well. This is good to know. Mine are from BC too. I would actually perfer to use the stickems for the ease of use, but the reason why I may need to use the glue gun (high melt point glue) is because I double wick and the wicks of course are not in the dead center of the glass. There is a little unevenness in the glass outside the dead center and with the stickums there are times where a small part of the tab edge cannot adhere all the way to the glass. I notice that after the wax is poured a little can seep under. I do not seem to notice this happening with the glue and would perfer it not to seep under it. I just started to use the stickums again and have not yet tested the "high melt point" glue and was curious as to others' success or unsuccess with both of these methods.

RealMarcha and Kaybee, I saw those at JoAnn's when I bought the high melt glue. I almost got those instead, but was unsure. It does sound a lot easier to use than the glue gun.

Thanks again. :)

I have tried both.... the hot glue gun just seems like to much work for me... to time consuming... once in a while the wick stickums.. (not the one that I use)......... but to me their all the same... might not stick... like I like them to... SO I just heat the bottom of the my jar with a heat gun .. for extra muscle and that does the trick .....try pulling it back off and you may get the wick itself instead of the tab..... :D

here I go again....... :):)

Cathy

Kitkat,

lol :D Yep, tried that one time and got the wick instead. :eek: I do heat my jars before I pour so that may help with the tabs. I will see how it goes and how consistent. You are probably right...both may come loose from time to time, but the "all three temps in one glue" came loose too many times. :eek: Not a good thing.

Thanks for your response and great sense of humor!

I've been using the glue gun while testing my containers. Like Holly I'd occasionally notice some drifting of the wick. Just got a sheet of stickems and put them in some test containers today. After reading these posts sounds like I may have to invest in a bunch more stickems.

I was using a glue gun for my personal testers, just because after they are burned they were easier to pull out than the stickums were. But just recently, as it was burning at the bottom of the jar, the glue came apart and the wick starting floating. Pretty scary. So I'm just gonna use stickums for everything. They seem pretty darn strong.

Thank you for everyone's helpful responses. I may not even bother testing the high melt glue. Sounds like the stickums have worked really well for many of you. They are much easier to use too and not messy. I will continue to use the stickums and see how consistent they are. :)