ISO Lotion recipe for squeeze bottles...

lindsaycb

Hi,

I had tried many recipes and kept getting variables on texture until another crafter sent me some stearic acid to play with. It thickens lotions up and you can adjust the amount to get just the thickness you want.

Anyway, here is my basic recipe that I use in a squeeze boston round:

Lotion

WATER PHASE

water 73%

glycerin or honey 2% (using this really makes a difference in my lotions but if you drop it add that 2% back to the water part)

OIL PHASE

Stearic acid 2% (varies in some recipes I see up to 4%)

Oils of choice 17% (I love liquid oils like soybean or rice bran)

Ewax 4%

LAST PHASE

preservative 1%

FO 1%

Heat water phase to boiling, set aside

Heat oil phase in seperate container so ingredients are melted (stearic takes a little time)

Mix oils and water and emulsify with a stick blender (some use their counter top mixers on low to mix lotions) or whisk until the milky blend becomes more of a half and half or cream texture.

As lotion cools add last phase and mix well.

pour into bottles-will be runny but sets up nicely by the next day.

The stearic is the amount you can play with and what you add/take away to get the texture you want adjust that amount in your liquid oils.

sorry if I rambled...

I tried this and I do really like the texture so far. Its been setting up for just a few hours and I think its where it will remain now. I made a small approx. 400g batch with just mac oil.

I'm going to do some with other oils too so I can compare which oil I really prefer.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I found it while searching for a lotion recipe so I tried it. It's great!!! I used 10% rice bran oil and 7% monoi oil and the feel is so silky and it absorbs very nicely. Just thought I'd share a little FYI.

• 1 year later...
Just found this searching for recipes. Wondering if anyone experienced problems not doing the heat & hold for 20 minutes on water and oils?

I think they assumed one knew the procedure. Heat and hold is a must for lotion.

I think they assumed one knew the procedure. Heat and hold is a must for lotion.

That's what I thought and have been doing with all of mine but the directions below had me a bit confused. At least I know to continue heating & holding. ty :)

Heat water phase to boiling, set aside

Heat oil phase in seperate container so ingredients are melted (stearic takes a little time)

Mix oils and water and emulsify with a stick blender (some use their counter top mixers on low to mix lotions) or whisk until the milky blend becomes more of a half and half or cream texture.