? About Cozy-Up Candle Warmers

TartAddict

I bought a candle warmer from Michael's today. It's a Cozy-Up Warmer by Provo Craft. I had it on for about 2 hours. I just turned it off and noticed that my counter top is SUPER hot! I'm wondering if this is normal or if I have a defective warmer. My electric tart warmer never gets the counter hot. What do you guys think? It makes me nervous that it gets the surface it's sitting on (the counter) so dang hot.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that is unusual. I have one on my desk at work. It goes 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. I've had it there for months. It doesn't get that warm. But I don't think I have specifically felt the desk after turning it off. Did you happen to check the temp of the wax? That might give you an idea of how warm it actually got. I've checked a few and the melted wax ranges from 155 to 160.

Phew!! You just sent me into 'alarm' mode. Mine has been on since five o'clock. Just checked it, it is not hot on the bottom.

I hate to say, but I read in this forum awhile ago that some ppl had problems with them catching fire....? Hard to believe that Michael's is still carrying them if there is a liability question.

Return it, tell them it is over heating. I would not want to take the chance.

Best Wishes.

Hi,

I got several of them last Christmas at an online site, www.lakeside.com for $4.95 But I did a search awhile ago, and did see some online for $4.00, I can't remember where.

Someone on the forum said that they got them at Wal-Mart, I could not find them.

There is also a place online called Candle Warmers Etc. at: www.candlewarmer.com , they are looking for Wholesalers, if you are interested in taking it to that level. You would not believe how far they have come with these, some hold the whole candle jar, apothecary style, and in ceramic. They are nice looking. There must be a market, or they would not be investing into so many different styles. I am seriously considering it myself.

Good Luck

Hi, I just wanted to add: I have had my warmer on for about an hour and a half now. This is in fact one that I got at Lakeside Collection last Christmas. The melt pool temp. is 160 degrees, the underside is warm but not burn your hand hot. I set mine on a ceramic plate holder just in case.

I got 10 of those warmers at Michael's just Saturday. I will test them.

I may return anyway, It is too scary to think that it could malfunction and do damage to person or property. I will be sure to tell them why I am returning them, very clearly.

Thank you guys so much. I'm so glad I have this board for all the helpful advice! I almost bought 10 of the candle warmers too. I have no intention of selling them, I figured they'd make great Christmas presents. Now I'm not so sure :( I am going to take the one I bought back and exchange it for another. I'll try it out and if it gets to hot, I guess I'll switch brands. I'll be interested, Fern-Marie, to see if yours gets as hot as mine on the counter. Could you let me know what you think? Thanks :)

D

Mine (that I got at Walmart) also gets really hot if I just leave it on. :eek: I don't know how long it actually takes for it to get hot on the bottom as I don't remember exactly how I noticed this, but I had had it on for like two days straight. ;)

I now keep a pot holder underneath it b/c I'm paranoid of it burning my hutch (where I have it).

Yes, definitely.

I am going to get it running right now.

I will give it 2-3 hours, if I feel brave enough, and will get back asap.

Pretty scary, isn't it. See how you can get into trouble just standing still!;)

I'm going to put a hot plate under it, for safeties sake.

Are these on sale now at Michael's?I have sold 4 but some already have them and others have no idea what a wickless is.I will check mine now.I have had a candle on for almost 4 hours and seems fine.I have even been able to pick up the candle not long after shutting the warmer off.I have mine on the TV.Want to check that for sure.

LynnS

They weren't on sale, but for $4.99, I felt that was a good deal (it's the cheapest I've found). Mine has little "feet" on the bottom of the warmer, so I'm still suprised at how hot the countertop got since the warmer was elevated and not sitting directly on the counter. I could understand it being hot after hours and hours, but mine was only on for 2 hours and the counter was super hot. Yikes! I'm hoping it was just that one. Let me know what you guys find out about yours :) Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Here are the results of the tests on the candle warmers:

Cozy Warmer from Michael's: After 3 hours, inside pool is 160 degrees, underside is 125 degrees. The plastic sides of the plate, on top, felt too hot to me, I had a hard time handling it. I burnt my fingers.

Aroma Warmer from Lakeside Collections: After 7 hours, inside pool is 163 degrees, underside is 115 degrees. The plastic sides of the plate, on top, did not feel hot, and I did not fear a burn when I touched it.

A full 10 degrees difference is fairly significent. Especially taking into consideration the amount of time that each plate was on. I find it a bit alarming.

I looked up the Cozy Warmer info on the Michael's website, it states that the inside pool reaches a comfortable 154 degrees, it was at this temp after two hours, but you can see what a difference one hour made. It is hot. In my opinion, too hot, and kind of makes the 'safer around kids and pets' theory... moot.

I will be returning mine...all 10.

You are entirely welcome.

You know, when I shut if off, the button was so hot-on the Cozy Warmer, it burnt my thumb. Are these ppl kidding? They have to know this thing is bad. I feel badly for ppl who have purchased them. I'm glad that I got them from Lakeside when I handed them out as gifts..phew!

I just wish I could find the ones I saw on line for $4.00

Candles and Supplies has the ceramic ones for $6.99...everyone else is selling them for $15-$20.

Order early from Lakeside, they are slow shipping. A great site for shopping!

Best Wishes

I've seen warmers at Wally World...does anyone know if they are any good?

Hi

I just got one of these the other day and it seems to be working pretty well but this is the first time for me using them too so......

The tile idea was a great one!

Jenn A

I gave it one more try with the Cozy-Up Warmer (I exchanged the other one). Nope. Same thing. It's been on only 30 minutes and the counter top is so hot. They should have a warning on the package. It just doesn't seem safe at all. Long story short...it's going back AGAIN. I ordered one from Lakeside.

Thanks again!

Didn't look at Wal-Mart, but a lady I talked to in Michael's said she had checked there and they didn't have any. They may sell them as coffee warmers, not sure. I looked at Target, Linen's and Things, Hallmark, and finally Michael's where I found the Cozy-Up. I reallllllly didn't want to pay shipping. Oh well :)

Fern, My hubby has one from Wal-Mart and he loves it. Checked with him and he said the counter doesn't feel hot. I went back to Wal-Mart last this week to buy a few for the house and of course couldn't find them. Wal-Mart here is notorious for moving stuff around and no one seems to be able to tell you where they are. I looked everywhere and couldn't find any. My hubby "thinks" that they were around 5-6 dollars.

Hi,

Ditto here...I cannot find them at Wal-Mart either. The only ones that I had were the Cozy Up and Aroma Warmer, otherwise, believe me, I would have tested them along side of these two. I think that I would have been inclined to trust the Wal-Mart product.

At Wal-Mart, they have those coasters and hot plates, it's a boxed item, all different pics on them. Sandstone is what they are made of. That is what I had and used them.

I think that the warmers are a great idea, for all of the obvious reasons. We just have to find safe ones so as not to bring on the risk of further liabilities to ourselves. Because, you know that as a seller of candles, people will trust you as the 'professional' who should know what is good. There is that unspoken trust...and here-in is your/our legal responsibility. YOU are assuming liability.

I am sticking with it. I love the warmers, and have been asking everyone I know with kids, pets, and disabilities what they think of this product/idea...everyone is really positive...they can't wait to try it.

I spoke with my 75 year old aunt last nite, she is blind, and is thrilled at this idea - she didn't even know warmers were in the world. Uncle won't let her light a candle - she already set the kitchen on fire once!

I agree with you, Fern-Marie. I want to give these as presents (I don't sell), and I'd hate for my grandma's (or any one elses) house to catch fire because I gave them a faulty warmer. Thanks for the heads up on the Lakeside one. I'll give it a whirl!

D

Fern, My hubby has one from Wal-Mart and he loves it. Checked with him and he said the counter doesn't feel hot. I went back to Wal-Mart last this week to buy a few for the house and of course couldn't find them. Wal-Mart here is notorious for moving stuff around and no one seems to be able to tell you where they are. I looked everywhere and couldn't find any. My hubby "thinks" that they were around 5-6 dollars.

Hi that's where I got mine at,it was 4.90-something.

I was there again yesterday and they had alot of them.

Since I am going to give these as Christmas gifts maybe I should go buy some up in case they run out.

Jenn A

I have one also from Wal Mart but haven't tested it.I turned my one from Micheals off and it was not hot at all.I still will check today.I was leaving when I turned it off and in a hurry.I don't feel much heat at all when I go near it,

For Wal Mart I was bothered I could not find one first of year but waited till almost spring.So just in the last 2 months they had them and believe it or not in the lamp section.I kept wondering why there but still did not care I knew where to find them.So go looking again and can't find one in the lamp section.Look at candles and were there.Sounds logical.Spring I looked in the crafts section and candles section and even tried where they have some other candles accessiories.No where till now so I guess kinda seasonal.Why I have no idea because I burn candles all the time and my wickless i leave on longer than my wicked.They do move things around.Plenty now at my Wal

Mart now but this area the wickless are still kinda new after I went to craft sales and everyone asked.

I will test my Wal Mart one.I got it because I think wattage was more and the wickless might work better.Really the longer I use Michaels it seems to be throwing out the scent fine.I guess it just may be the FO's that make a difference.A couple florals were not as strong as Pecan Pie, French Vanilla and Twigs and Berries.

LynnS