gel tarts

Daisybelle

I sent the lady i bought the gel tarts from an e mail asking where i could find information on making them at. She said she just figured it out herself and would not tell me anything:confused: ...lol...i don't want to make them to sell..lol..i just want to make them for myself...guess she is not taking any chances...i sent out a couple other e mails to people who sell them..maybe they will be more helpful

Okay I am going to try and help.

First you need to read through this

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2957

I know it mostly about candles but it is also about safety.

I don't make gel tarts for several reasons. I am going to give you a quick list of why not for me then tell you how I would do it if I was going to make them any way.

One is the cost gel wax is expensive right now it running anywhere from $2 to $3 a pound.

Two storage and packaging would be a royal pain in the butt.

Three fragrance load even in tart I would not exceed the 5% because of the fact I would be worried that some one would use them on a tea light burner and the FO seeping and becoming flammable.

Now on to if I was going to do it.

I would use Penreco MP gel wax

All Non polar FOs with a flash point above 175

I would use either silicone baking mold or the metal tart cup.

With either I would coat the molds with mineral oil hoping that would help the release from the molds.

Heat the gel wax to 200 add FO mix really well let cool a bit to about 180 pour in mold let set up over night then before removing from the molds I would set in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to get that gel as hard as possible with out freezing and then demold.

Make sure you test everything you do.

We have a list of supplier at the top of this section for gel suppliers.

The most I have ever tried as far as candle making is candles in those 1.5 oz hex jars and in little baby jars. I never tried any further but I did try the gel one time in the hex jars. Burnt the begeezus outta myself!

Definitely read over the safety issues for this.

Angi

yikes...this is sounding complicated and dangerous lol i have a 3 and 4 yr old in the house...maybe i will keep buying them for a few more years lol...i was just wanting to make them for myself anyways:)

Bingo!

Vicky is a very experienced gel waxer, she would be the best one to give advice. I'm glad she posted for you.

Good PRO advice...and she chooses not to do them for a reason.

yes thanks so much Vicky:yay: ...i would hate to have gone out an purchased all the stuff to make them only to find out it was not worth the trouble! :cry2: I still may decide to try it when my kids are in school maybe lol so what do you guys think is the easiest type of candle to make yourself...i would still like to do this since i love candles and they make great gifts...i know none of them are super easy but what would be the least trouble to do?...any suggestions?

I recommend you buy a good kit Peak has several http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Candle-Making-Starter-Kits.aspx that way you get all what you need in in one box and your first candles will be a success.

Make what you like to burn, if you like to burn pillar candles then buy a kit for that. You want to be able to enjoy and feel comfortable burning what you make.

thats great! thanks so much for the info...its hard to knwo where to get good quality stuff...are reg wax tarts as hard to make as gel tarts? maybe i will just make regular ones? sorry for asking so many questions..lol...you are all dolls for being so patient:)

Yes, kits are great for beginners, that way you aren't putting a whole lot of money into buying all sorts of supplies only to find that it's more than you bargained for, or you hate this type of wax, or that type.

Paraffin is a lot less headache than soy, for instance.

Soy is popular, but it requires 'cure time' if you get into candles. Soy also 'frosts', pits, dents, etc., in general it can be ugly! It takes a lot of work to make it look pretty - especially for a beginner. If you don't mind ugly - go for it! You can melt soy in the microwave - this cuts down on a lot of equipment.

For a hobby, or personal use to make tarts to scent your home, maybe as gifts for mom and the girlfriends, etc., you may want the ease of paraffin

If you have one of those mini muffin pans, that's what a lot of us use for tarts.

Have fun with it. Betcha get hooked!

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

so just get a regular candle strter kit and buy tart mold and use them instead? i have a few questions if that ok:grin2:

1.i know you said parafin is way easier to use than soy...what about a blend of the 2? i have seen that sold.

2. what molds are best? i have seen metal ones and silicone ones

3. what does "one pour" mean?

4. do i need a UV inhibitor? i have seen these sold too

5. is peaks a good place to buy all fregrances from.

seems the more i read the more confused i get...lol

so just get a regular candle strter kit and buy tart mold and use them instead? i have a few questions if that ok:grin2:

1.i know you said parafin is way easier to use than soy...what about a blend of the 2? i have seen that sold.

2. what molds are best? i have seen metal ones and silicone ones

3. what does "one pour" mean?

4. do i need a UV inhibitor? i have seen these sold too

5. is peaks a good place to buy all fregrances from.

seems the more i read the more confused i get...lol

1. Para/soy is fine, read each items description, and decide what you think is interesting for you..it really is a personal taste.

2. Silicone is great..but very expensive. That's why I use mini muffin tins from Wal-Mart. Keep it simple.

3. "One Pour" refers to the individual characteristics of a wax. Some waxes tend to settle, or dip once they set up.

Because that appearance is 'unattractive' ppl will pour a second time after the wax has set in order to achieve a flat, smooth top. One Pour means that the wax should not need a second pour to look good.

4. UVI - if you are selling outside, or selling in a store where light and air may frequently hit your candles, then you should use it. Candle color will fade when exposed to UV light...think of it as a 'sunscreen' for candles. You don't need it.

5. Peaks is an excellent choice. High quality FOs, good service, and since they have kits.....good place to start.

There, saved you again Vicky! lol

Unless specifically stated that it's soy, it's paraffin.

A lot of ppl use 'votive' wax for tarts because it tends to be harder. I use soy, which is very soft...kind of like Crisco.

I don't use soap molds, but I believe you can. I'm not positive, I don't make soap either.

well i like the idea of soy, i read it lasts longer and is cleaner..what would be a good blend 50/50 ? can i buy it in a blend? or would i have to mix it myself? what about beeswax? is that hard to work with?

i LOVE the idea of using mini muffin tins...cheap is good! are the teflon ones ok? do i need to spray them with anything to help with release?

with a peaks candle kit do i just follow the instruction but pour into tart molds when they say to put it in a container? Is there anything extra i need to add since they will be melted in a warmer and not burned as a candle? if i have more wax than i need melted can i just leave it in the melting pot and re melt it later?

if i wanted to could i add some glitter to it? Do i need special glitter...any tips on making them look prettier?

There are para/soy blends pre mixed, I'm not sure if Peak's has it that way, but others do. I don't think that you want to get right into blending waxes, that's a bit more technical for a first timer, and at this stage is really not necessary.

I'm sure Candle Science(CS) has one, I played around with it and liked it. It's got numbers in the name...6006, I can't remember the letters. You can buy by the pound. CS also has a rating next to each of their fragrances which indicates which FO works well with soy. Very helpful. However, with tarts or wickless candles, I have found that even the lowest graded of their fragrances will work. Burning with a wick is the problem. If you go through them, their Mistletoe FO is the most fabulous Christmas scent I have ever tried. They too are at the pinnacle of the candle business. Very respected, good stuff, great service.

And since you're going to ask, lol, wickless is like a tart but it's poured into a short, squatty jar, i.e. a tureen like CS sells, and you place the jar of wax on a candle warmer, and when it melts, the scent will float through your whole home. Makes a great gift and can save on present buying.

Remember, the larger the melt pool (mp), the stronger scenting effect. So it's like melting a huge tart, and it lasts a reallllyyyy long time. Candle warmers are sold at Michael's and some other stores - Walmart on occasion.

Yes, the teflon coated pans are what you want. No, I do not spray them. I tried that and found it too messy, and that it altered the wax. If you can't get the tarts to pop out easily, put the whole pan in the freezer for 15 mins, that'll do it!