Super ROUGH!

Ok. Its me again.

Again, be gentle, as I am new with soy.

I always wondered why my tart warmers looked like they had colored curdled milk in them. Is this what is meant by "rough tops" in containers? I am testing a soy container and after its test burn, the top was uber rough.

Is there anyway to prevent this or is this normal?

Add about 3% of beeswax ..and your after burn will smooth out...

100% soy takes on an ugly top after it has burned for the first time and so on...most people do not inspect it.. they just relight...it seems like if I pour at a cooler temp.. it is not that bad as to a higher temp.....

You will have to work with the wax to see what temp fits you in the pouring stage...

HTH

Cathy

So my pouring temp affects how it looks after the burn too? I thought my pouring temps were fine because the tops were always smooth. Im concerned with after their initial burns-- but I guess that does make sense. I am using EcoSoya CB 135.

For after burning smooth tops, add 3-4% beeswax to your soy while you are melting it. You will kinda have to play with it to get a feel for what looks good to you. It also helps with the frosting some and the throw. :)

Rough looking tops are a soy thing and won't affect the way the candle burns or throws. If you pour cooler and add BW, it can help with this issue, but you will still sometimes have rough looking tops. The room temp can also affect this - right now its really hot where I live and I don't have a/c so I battle this problem no matter what temp I pour at. You can zap them with a heat gun to make it initially look better (like if you are going to sell them) but they will more than likely set back up rough once burned. I think if you make a candle that burns well and throws great, and you explain to your customers the characterisics of soy, it won't be an issue any more, other than for you since its your candle and we tend to be more critical of ourselves. ;):)