Premier 700 wicks ?

Hi everyone,

I just received a whole box of samples from Wick It and I can't

dedide where to begin. I make container candles 2.5" diameter.

I use J50 and usually scent heavier than 1oz per pound.

I have been using 51-32-18z or 44-24-18z I find that 51z

soots and mushrooms too much but has a great melt pool.

The 44z has much less soot and mushrooming but the melt pool

is minimal and leaves wax hang up on the sides of the jar.

OK now you know my life story, my question is which size

Premeir 700 would you start with to try and go between those

two zinc wicks?

Thanks for any and all input :highfive:

Use the chart on their site to help you decide where to start. This is what I did.

I can't remember what the site is right off hand but just click on the 700 series and it will direct you to the wicking chart.

I have the chart but it suggests 9 different sizes for 2-3" container.

Was just wondering if anyone uses them and has suggestions so I don't have to test them all.

For the very reason you listed, I haven't bought any of the Premier wicks. The chart was wayyyyyy too confusing. I didn't know which of 5 different wicks that it said was for one size container to use lol

As far as charts go, I have found they aren't very accurate. I have looked at various sites and 3 out of 5 would have different sizes for the same wick. I use CD charts that say CD 10 - 12 will work for 3 - 3 1/2 inch containers. Ummmm NOT lol. I have 3 inch wide mouth containers that I use CD 16's. The 10 and 12 didn't come close to burning this size candle.

I wish people would realize, we aren't trying to get out of testing. We do our own testing but its MUCH more helpful to have an accurate tried and true starting point.

I think the best advice for testing I have seen is to take a disposable cake pan, position your wicks being tested, then pour plain melted wax that you are going to use in it and burn. You will get an idea of the melt pool and can have a starting point for those wicks and know which containers those wicks might work with. I realize coloring and FO will change the wick used but at least its a starting point for your wax. You can melt the wax back down and use it later.

I know I am not much help but I can relate to the frustration :grin2:

Jami

Also got the amazing array of samples from Premier. I thought their chart was pretty close to accurate - they've got them fine tuned.

I use CB-135 soy blend in 8 oz jelly jars with an inside diameter of 2 3/8" so I started with the wick in the center of the range - 755. With the addition of dye and oils (1.5oz/lb) I've increased to 760 for thin oils/light color and 770 for the more viscous oils (some vanilla's) with the darker brown dye. It's so nice to have something other than the "ropes" some of the other brands remind me of!

They have really reasonable rates for custom wicking if you can use 1000 of one size. I think I'll be getting 2 sizes to get optimum burn time depending on the oil/color combo and only need to order 4 1/2" lengths vice the 6" normally available. Hate cutting off the excess with no other place to use these bits!

Let me know how it works for you!!!

A chart should have been sent with the wicks. Their is no exact place where to start. That is the frustrating part about their wicks. I haven't been in love with them for containers. Not a strong hot throw compared to the braided wicks, but they do work great in pillars, votives and tealights.

• 3 weeks later...

I use ez soy wax, 8oz metro jar or better know as the Column Jar. I tested with some of the premier 700 series wicks. I started testing with WI-760,WI-765, and the WI-767, I ended up going with the WI-767. I like this wicks, I had a candle wicked with a zinc wick next to the premier series and blew them out at the same time. The premier wick stopped smoking after about a few seconds and no mushrooming. I've only used zinc, CD, and now premier wicks. Will order some soon.

I went through the same thing, and tried them all. I also use J-50, with some tweaking. The results were not what I wanted. I also used the Superiors, again with less than satisfactory results.

So, I got some samples of their zinc wicks, and voila! The 51-36-18z worked perfectly. I get a cleaner burn than with any other combination I tried, and I don't have to worry about the wick folding over into the puddle and getting lost.

For us, the zinc is far and away the best.

Good luck,

Fredron