I think I figured out Beanpod's formula (sort of)

Geek...I put my tin foil hat on and I think you are right!

Hell, we all know that these guys are buying soys from the same manufacturers that supply our suppliers. I don't believe for a minute that there's some little lab tech mixing, blending, pouring, and testing without some major help from a major manufacturer. Trade Secrets my ***

Somewhere along the line some genius like Geek is going to shake and sniff, hope I'm not getting too personal here dude, and figure out which wax they are using.

I wondered if or when someone who has tested and worked with so many waxes would be able to spot a wax and notice a familiarity...and spill the Bean Pod. It was only a matter of time.

Kudos, Geek! Very astute.

Fascinating info on the "AD" lingo.

Isn't it odd that we 'home crafters' are turning out to be the truest to the craft...no fancy lawyering to help us sleeze out some sales with legal jargin that the average consumer would undoubtedly think is dishonest, or misleading. Deception is legal as long as it's worded correctly....?

The rats can't win all the rat races.

BeanPod candles are stablilized yes, but it doesn't contain any paraffin though....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm rehashing an old subject, but I was at a Mardi Gras party this past weekend at a community clubhouse. There were two Beanpod candles there: a 22 oz Vanilla Coffee, and a 14 oz Cherry something-or-other. They both smelled great, but both burned off-center and tunneled badly! I can't say for sure if they were burned properly, but they were four inch wide jars with single wicks! No way in heck a single wicked 4 inch jar of soy wax will burn right even if marathon burned!

Just my observation.

As always, your geek :grin2:

Geek, I have a Beanpod 25oz single-wicked candle (Adirondack Mountains), burns level in 4-5 hr increments. They have nice creamy tops prior to first burn but after that the tops have pit marks and frosting typical of soy. I have no tunneling whatsoever.

My guess is the ones you're questioning had a too short initial burn. It is amazing a single-wicked 25 oz reaching a full mp but I can attest to it.

• 1 month later...

Okay I know this subject keeps running on. Today I was checking out all the Beanpods. I smelled every scent and looked at every top and color for starters. The light beige's, oranges and pinks all mostly had frosting. On the 8oz and 16oz. I didn't bother with the 25oz. They appeared to look like ECO 14 wicks. I bought the Oatmeal Cookie ( I will have to get that FO). I tested it thinking there is no way this wick will reach all ends. Well for the first hour it started to tunnel. Then after 4 hours it reached all the way across. The wick looks like an Eco and burns like one. It has the slight mushroom but a perfect melt pool. They are doing it without double wicking it. The throw is great too!

Now I swear the 2.5oz I am looking at one right now has a zinc cored wick in it though they swear its cotton. No way this baby has metal right in the middle. I do not understand why zinc for those when the Eco's in that size would suffice. So I am a bit puzzled about that.

Stacey, I fully agree. I have their 25oz and it does look like a zinc, definately has a metal wire up the middle and has a fmp, uaually 4 hr increments. I have an open family room/kitchen and it smells wonderful throughout.

• 1 month later...

I know exactly how beanpod makes their candles and what wax they use.

The wax is 100% soy...the brand name does not matter because the version of the wax is an older version that is not available for sale to anyone but them now. They only continue to make it for them because of the quanity that beanpod buys. But that doesn't matter either because they can do what they do with any version of soy wax.

They do not blend in pariffin or anything else. The "stabalized soy wax" refers to the poaring process they employ using a half a million dollar piece of equipment that controls the exact cool down rate of the wax.

I looked into this about 3 years ago and was in contact with the exact company the Beanbod bought this equipment from. By the way this company thought it was pretty funny that Beanpod was making any claims to having a "patent" on the process since this process has been employed by other companies long before anyone at beanpod was born. It is a process used in other industries as well.

• 1 month later...