Im new @ making gel candle have a few ?

angela_41465

Hi... Like I said I am new @ candle making ... I made my first gel candle sat night. I bought my gel from Gelluminations I got the 25lbs of cmp penreco gel and this is what I did...I used apple cinn scent for both gel and soy I used 4tbs of scent 3lbs of gel heated to 205 like it said the scent was really good, but when my sisterlaw made them her gel would just peel off when she went to clean up or take some off the sides or something but mine was like dropplets not able to jsut peel it off it just dropplets it went in the jars fine havent burned them yet jsut wonder why this hapen what did I do wrong? I added sea shells but cleaned them in min oil like it said to but they still floated and had loads of air bubbles... I did go to the newbie site and read up on some...thanks..

First never use a spoon to measure your FO for gel I is very important that it be weighed with a scale.

As far the ease of clean up[ that can very depending on what scent you are using and how much dye I have some FO that mixed with the gel just peel but others that it is a real pain to get the gell cleaned out ofg my pots.

As far as the sea shells you really need to pour those candles in layer so the shells stay put. I do understand where you are coming from just make sure they are really clean and soak them in mineral oil I usualy leave a handful of shells in my mineral oil tub all the time and as I use them I replace them that why the are always ready to use.

First never use a spoon to measure your FO for gel I is very important that it be weighed with a scale.

As far the ease of clean up[ that can very depending on what scent you are using and how much dye I have some FO that mixed with the gel just peel but others that it is a real pain to get the gell cleaned out ofg my pots.

As far as the sea shells you really need to pour those candles in layer so the shells stay put. I do understand where you are coming from just make sure they are really clean and soak them in mineral oil I usualy leave a handful of shells in my mineral oil tub all the time and as I use them I replace them that why the are always ready to use.

Ok what kind of scale ? I have one I went and bought that is round and has a bowl on it is that the wrong one?.. and yes my pot was a mess to clean up! I did clean my shells in min oil as was told to do and I did pour my candle in layers I had read to do it like that.. I bought the min oil from the phram @ walmarts ... How much scent would oyu have used with you 3lbs of gel?.. each web site tells something diffarnt...ok thanks...

Is your FO gel safe? I have found that some fo's are more oily than others so I am betting the reason the gel is acting like it is is with the fo. You can use 1 oz fo per lb.

Best to get a scale that measures in ounces...you can get nice digital ones for reasonable price...Kycandlewaxsupply has one for $25.00.

First pour a very thin layer of gel, then add your shells, let that set up, then another thin layer of gel, let it set up and then finally cover the shells with gel and let that sit up until completely set and cool. Then continue pouring but pour on the cool side.

Well I recomend a good digital scale you can pick one up at walmart for about $20.

For MP gel no more than 5% FO so for 3 lb that would be 2.4oz of FO. I error on the safe side and would use 2.1 oz of FO which is 4.5%

Now if you let it set up between layers your shels will not float up because the are set in solid gel. It sounds like you didn't wait long enough after you set your shells to pour your next layer.

Is your FO gel safe? I have found that some fo's are more oily than others so I am betting the reason the gel is acting like it is is with the fo. You can use 1 oz fo per lb.

You can not use 1 oz per lb that far exceeds Penreco recommendations. Exceeding the recommendations of other waxes will not have the disastrous effect that can happen in gel.

http://www.penreco.com/products/gels/VCGoverview.asp

If in doubt always go to the manufacturer they will know what is best for their own product.

I havent made anymore Gel candles.. I tryed to make a forever candle but my flower didnt turn out right , guess it just trail and error.. lol I no ive seen some lovely gel candles, I want to try more but really dont have a clue on what to use with them ..ok well thanks again for the great info...Angie

Sorry Vickie, but my years of experience with gel will have to heartily disagree with you. 5% of 16 ounces is 8/10 of an ounce, I dont think that 1/5 of an ounce qualifies for a "that way excedes" remark. I have used 1 oz. per lb of gel in mp for many years.....and luck has nothing to do with never having had a problem. It is testing, testing and more testing. Most manufacturers will err greatly on the minimum margin side for safety. 1 oz per lb will not blow you or anyone else up as long as you have high quality components and good quality glassware.:cheesy2:

Girl it has nothing to agreeing or disagreeing about. You recommending to a newbie to mess with going over the gel recommendations is irresponsible. If they want to play on their own after they have got the basics down that is their business. They take their own risk but you are assuming the risk for them when advise to go over manufacturer recommendations.

No gel does not blow up but I take it you have never seen a gel candle catch on fire or the glass shatter. I use to play with gel to see what would happen I did everything from put polar FO to weak glassware to too much FO to putting flammable object in them just to see what would happen. That was the scientist in me. Whether I agree or disagree about how much FO to add to a gel wax I would never recommend a newbie adding more than manufacturer recommendation.

Hey, Vicky! I did some of those same experiments, too, and glad of it. I'm sure we both had some awful candles. Luckily, the only time I got a fire that was scary was when I used a next-to-nothing wick tab and let the candle burn ALL the way down into a sand bottom. Yep! The sand WILL catch fire. I did this on the patio with a box of baking soda handy.

I also want to add that I didn't do all those experiments until well after I had done a good bit of testing adhering to strict instructions!

Guess I should have read even more then I already have about making gel candles... I have tryed to read everything I can possible get my hands on it jsut there is so much info on them that it is confusing you dont no what to do........ Sorry for the upset I caused didnt mean to at all.....And I do thank you all for the info,,,,,..hope you all have a great night thanks...

Just making the gel candles w/o wicks to use on candle warmers? is that safe? or is there a huge bit of danger there also.... Im kinda of scared now of making the gel candles but dont want to waste what I have got so what do you all think?... sorry if im being a pest just dont no where else to check..

Angela, don't be scared of them. Just be careful with them. You didn't cause any trouble. You're like a lot of us that got interested, bought supplies, but had little or no instruction. I bought 3 or 4 books that were ok, but I made the mistake of taking as completely correct. I made lots of crap, and dangerous crap at that. I bought so much junk off of ebay that it's pathetic!

As far as using the wickless with warmers--there was a thread on here in the last day or so about that. I'm not sure. When I read the thread, I started searching for some info I thought I read a year ago somewhere about that not being safe. I haven't been able to find the information. If I find it, I'll respond to the thread.

I've made lots of pies and other dessert candles that my friends love. If you like the gel, don't give up! Have a good time creating with it. I've only learned what equates to the tip of the iceberg, but I'm continuously learning how to make more and more really nice candles.

And yes there is a lot of info out there its gets so confusing that you dont no what to beleive.. I enjoy making the candle althought im new to it it give me a life to loook forward to , my kids are groan and married now im still fairly young and nothing to much to look forward to and I always wanted to do this and now actually have the time and money to do it. but I dont want to take a chance on causing someone house to burn either.. lolI will do more research and see what I can come up with , Itryed the forever candle but ti didnt turn out right so I guesss maybe ill try again... thanks again for the great advice.oh btw I will be a new grandma in about 3 weeks YEESSS and im still young.. so I do have something to look forward to..

You might just forget all about candles in 3 weeks! How exciting for you. I never had children, so I spoil my nephew and nieces. My husband has grandchildren (5) but that whole story is a nightmare. We don't see them.

On the forever candles, I'm happy with about 1 in every 6 or so that I make. Seriously. Those scenery ones are a real pita for me. I'm glad my friends are happy with preserve jars and pies. Those are soooo easy!

You might just forget all about candles in 3 weeks! How exciting for you. I never had children, so I spoil my nephew and nieces. My husband has grandchildren (5) but that whole story is a nightmare. We don't see them.

On the forever candles, I'm happy with about 1 in every 6 or so that I make. Seriously. Those scenery ones are a real pita for me. I'm glad my friends are happy with preserve jars and pies. Those are soooo easy!

invested way to much money in my building and all my other productes to forget about it. im really looking forward to Gracie comming but I am also ready to do something for me as well, see ive been married to the same man since I was 15 had 1st son @ 16 2nd @ 18 .im now 38 so that tells you a little. lol on the pie candle maybe Ill do some research on how to make them I think they are lovely.. thanks so much for yoour advice, its nice to ahve someplace to come to when you have a no clue. like I siad with all the info out there there is so much and so differnt it good to have people to talk to about it..thanks have a great day!

• 1 month later...

I live in Uk. I am new in making any sort of candles. I am particularly interested in making gel candles but after having read the explosion and disastrous happenings with gel candles makes me scare. Could you please advice on DO's and DON'Ts while making these candles.

Wishing all candle makers a happy new year.

best wishes....ranjit

• 1 month later...

I have been making gel for two years now maybe you should of first just made a gel candle without any embeds. I am just learning how to make the forever candles. With any candle it just takes pratice. As long as you follow the guidlines of fo and use a safe glass you should be fine. Some of the prettiest gel candles to me are just simply put in a wine glass. There very pretty. I m the same person who made 15 soy candles with the wrong wick before i realized it. So its trial and error.