-candle Madness-----

OK, There is not going to be any usefull information in this one, just a little ranting and questioning of my motives. i have been testing for almost 9 months now, and have found a blend of mine that fills 3 rooms and waifs upstairs with the proper scent and wicks, yet, I just ordered SOME MORE WAXES, WICKS AND SCENTS to test, is there a point that one should reach when they just are satisfied? I have made cp soaps for years, and when I got that down, I just kept using the same formulations and presto, new colors and scents, styles, but, the same recipies. Are candlemakers prone to candle madness, can we not ever be good enough, must there always be a greener side of soy that we cannot atain? I see all of the masters on here even testing stilll, is there a 12 step program for all of this, or will an equalibrium ever be met, or is it just the nature of the evil soy beast? sorry, just had to let that out, but, really, any one else do all of this, I should really move on to pillars or something..:confused:

I completely understand..hehehe but seriously at what point should we be satisfied ?

Each soy wax needs its "own" scent to test and its own wick.. I suppose its the scientist in all of us :) It cerainly keeps it intersting..

However at what point can do you all feel comfortable to sell the product ? Seriously with all the choices isnt there always a "better" brand, or wick, to try ? Its is frustrating...

Man, just give me one size of candle with one brand of wax and wick , that I am satisfied with..lol

Waxingmoon.

LOL! Good question about whether or not we're ever really satisfied. I have to say that it's really one of those "one day at a time" things....like being in recovery from an addiction. I have to admit that I am powerless over what I cannot control, accept the things that I cannot change, change those which I can, and pray for the wisdom to know the difference, LOL!

Seriously, there are great days, when you are cranking 'em out like a champ and you're not getting one wet spot, seeing perfectly flat tops, getting amazing throw and everything is rocking and rolling, and then there are the days when you pour just a 1/2 degree too hot and you get brainy tops, horrid spots and you just want to throw up your hands.

It took me quite a few months to be happy with my containers, happy enough to sell them and be proud of how they looked, so yes...it happens. You just have to remember that there's NO such thing as perfection, but you can get awfully close. You just reach that moment where you look at this row of almost perfectly turned out candles, and you realize that you might actually be content with what you've created! It's a great day, but it takes a while! Hang in there, and keep on doing what you're doing, with the effort and time and consideration you are obviously putting into it, you are going to reach that point sooner than a lot of newbies who just kind of flounder around (including myself a few years ago)!

I thought that rustics could not be achieved with soy?!? I'm intriged, a 70/30 pillar blend? Tell me more (as my rational mind asks what am I getting myself into now)......Maybe we should all be investers in soy stock, that way our compulsive buying for testing would at least be turning us a profit.:grin2:

By simply admitting you have a problem, you are on the first step to recovery (maybe) :laugh2:

There is a Mad Scientist that hides within us, always seeking to achieve perfection. To have that one moment, when the platform rises to the open window on that dark, stormy day, and the lightning bolt strikes the rod, energizing and awakening the Monster we have created. Then, only then may we shout to the heavens, "It's alive, IT'S ALIVE!!! Bwahaahaahaa!!!!"

Seriously, though, I think it's because we know that CP soap won't burn down a house like a candle will, that drives us to perfection. The chemical reaction of somone lathering up with a bar of soap is much different and more predictable than the mixing of FO and vegetable based wax, then setting it on fire.

But I do understand your obsession. Wax testing keeps me off the streets and out of jail :grin2:

geek

I was kidding in a way :) Meaning that if you get into paraffin there is SO many more variables that come into play - pour temp (instead of just hot or slushy), cooling time, many more additives and amount of those additives. Getting a good mottle or rustic can be challenging and getting it consistently is even more challenging.

Since you asked - here are some rustics that our resident rustic "queen" Eugenia does with soy:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27533

I thought that rustics could not be achieved with soy?!? I'm intriged, a 70/30 pillar blend? Tell me more (as my rational mind asks what am I getting myself into now)......Maybe we should all be investers in soy stock, that way our compulsive buying for testing would at least be turning us a profit.:grin2: