Are we a dying breed?

CrystalClear

I'm still making lots of them. Actually, I have more requests for the jars of fruit preserves than anything else. Most of my soy container candles are being given away in gift baskets for door prizes at benefits! I sell the daylights out of the fruit preserves, though. Haven't had too many orders for the "scene" types lately. That will probably pick up closer to Christmas (I hope).

I noticed this board isn't as "hoppin" as the other ones. Are we a dying breed here? For those that make gel candles, check in! :D

The only thing I am dying to do is make more gel candles.I love every bit of it, from the creations to the bubbles. And what I reall like is that I am usually the only gel candle person at a craft show. SWEET!!! Gelers Unite!!!

After the 432 tealight that I am making this week I won't want to see gel for at least a month but I have to make a bunch of pies with in the next 2 weeks so what I am going to want and what I have to do is 2 very different things.

• 1 month later...

I quite making a burning gel because of many problems...

Gel wont hold as much FO as wax so you can't get as good of a throw as wax.

The safety of making a gel can be hard, making sure you use the right FO that has a certain flash point and the polarity test of the FO.

When gel burns, with any FO, you get a Fuel smell and they smoke worse than wax.

You have to make sure you use glass that can withstand high temps. Thin wine glasses etc. will break or shatter with burning gel.

I now only make double glass decorative gels. That way the customer can burn the wax candle, with a great throw, in the center and the gel decoration stays.

My friends are still liking the preserve jars, especially since I started jazzing them up a bit with "fruity" fabric squares on the lids, etc. I've had several let me know they want them for Christmas gifts. I've got tons of pie making supplies and hope to do a little selling at a biker event next month.

As far as the bubbles, I did a lot of reading and learned how to control a lot of that with heating the containers, heat gun, etc. I had a really good time last fall with the halloween scenes and then Christmas scenes.

There was a time when most of my candles were 85% gel. Now that I have moved into other types of candles that has dropped to probably about 30% gel candles. It's always good to have variety. And with the gel prices going up I figured it would be a good idea to try other things. I still make customer favorites like pies, a few drinks, pancakes & waffles, & fruit bowls!

I have several pounds of gel, but am "scared" of it.

I really need to do more research, before even attempting it.

I got it at a craft store that was closing out, a few years ago.

They were practically giving it away.

I just have to figure out.. wicking, fo's, containers, etc :laugh2:

• 3 weeks later...