Darwin's Basic Soap Recipe

Darwin

Did you use refined or unrefined shea? I'm wondering about the smell coming through if I use the unrefined. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I've put it on my list to try LOL it's a long list and I just tried my first batch yesterday. My own recipe...turned out good so far. Anyway thanks for your help!

I used unrefined shea, and didn't get any scent from it as far as I could tell, but then I would like it if I did! I think the unrefined shea smells yummy!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The agbanga unrefined shea itself has a kind of earthy, nutty scent - I think it's mild but will admit is is somehow a "functional" odor, like you know it will be somehow good for you rather than just fun and all. Like vitamin enriched or something.

I will be making a batch for the swap with the unrefined so we can see if it makes a difference at this level, at least.

In the meantime, I have one chunk left of 100% shea soap if you want me to send it - just PM me with your address and I'll make sure you get it. Or I could send you some of the shea - I've got tons at the moment.

++++++

ETA: OK - I'm a moron - I forgot I made the batch last night. Just went and sniffed it and didn't detect any of the unrefined shea odor (as far as MY nose can tell, which ain't so great).

I cp'd it. I have made about 3 batches using this recipe. Doing a couple more this weekend. I did a soy milk one for Carol's swap to. I love the bubbles this recipe makes.

I did a plain jane bar for Carol's swap. Just the basic recipe as a HP control. I can't wait to try everyones bar!

I made a plain one with refined shea for Carol's swap and I really like the color and texture of the soap. (no added colorant for scientific purposes ) :wink2:

I haven't tried it yet for bubbles, but I think it will be fantastic.

Thanks Darwin for sharing your great recipe.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started, my cousin gave me this and I still use it:

Some very general #'s to shoot for:

Hardness...35 and up

cleansing...10 or above

conditioning...over 50

fluffy...20ish

stable...mid 20's and up

Here are some thread on the old board that helped me when I first started:

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=bathandbody;action=display;num=1118766290;start=2#2

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=bathandbody;action=display;num=1117389558;start=7#7

There are lots more if you do a search there and I am sure there are some here on the new board.

I'm brand new to making CP and am trying to learn all I can but don't really understand all the numbers yet in soapcalc so I'm wondering if I sub Palm Oil for PKO how much of an effect it would have on the end result.

You don't want to sub one for another. PKO is a cleanser, similiar to coconut, palm a hardener, like lard or tallow. Totally different qualities.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, I tried this recipe twice (after subbing some things and coming up wiht almost the exact same qualities on soapcalc), and each time it has seized on me in some way. The first time I was using a rose essential oil so I assumed it was that reason. I turned around for a second and when I got back my stick blender was stuck in it! I was able to save it and it turned out really nice. The second time (and this was just an hour ago), It was starting to serperate, which I am contributing to the fragrance oil (which I've used before with no problems) being added after it was getting really thick. I stopped blending it at a really thin trace (took about a minute) becuase I was expecting it to thicken really fast...anyway, I ditched the swirls and had to stick blend it in the mold to get it smooth again. It's in a nice gel now and I'm hoping it'll be smooth. Has anyone else had this problem? I think I',m just gonna have to leave this one uncolored. If I'd poured it at that thin trace, I don't think I'd have had the problem....sigh. Next time I guess.

Christina

I've made at least 30 batches with this recipe with a full range of fragrances and it behaves quite nicely as long as it's not an un co-operative FO (florals are often naughty). If a batch goes haywire the first thing I look at is the FO, then my soaping temps. For example, I had 4 great batches with Peak Mediterranean Fig under my belt and suddenly it riced on me TWICE!! Then someone asked about temps and I realized my first few batches were really at RT (melted butters/oils and made lye sol'n way in advance), and the failures were warmer.

I can also suggest that you SB only to the emulsification stage and then stick with your spoon if there is a likelihood of trouble.

And I have the most reliable luck if I add the FO to the oils before stirring in the lye - that way even if I have trouble I know it's blended in completely.

Thank you for your reply. That is a lot of good information. My temps for the last batch were higher than normal (not by much, just 110 and 120 approx.). I always scramble to mix my lye into my oils if they're showing below 100 (which happens a lot). But perhaps it's better that way. I'll try it. And I'm definitly going to try your other suggestions. Well, after all that, the batch turned out lovely (no swirls but nice and creamy). So, it seems this soap is really easy to fix if something happens.

Christina