Simple Beginner Soap Recipe

Crafty1_AJ

We're rooting for you! :yay: Let us know how it goes!

Don't forget to follow all those lye safety precautions, and you'll be fine! Soap when you are well-rested, alert, won't be distracted and can concentrate. Wear your goggles and gloves. Be careful of the lye fume cloud when first mixing ... duck down or leave the room for a couple minutes.

You'll do fine! :yay:

Im downstairs with my crockpot, got to trace 10 minutes ago, waiting for the next stage, Its suppose to get real thick too thick to stir. Im worried my crockpot might be too big and its not cooking enough, it looks like its cooking just around the edges ad not getting as thick as it shows in the instructions. I also added sugar to my water from what Iv reads its suppose to make it easier to work with making swirls. Even if it doesnt turn out I now know I dont have to be scared of lye. OK back to the pot...

OK ya'll theres no telling what Ill end up with, it never got as thick as the photos, I never saw the oils breaking back up, but it sarted growing in pot so I stired it down and added fo ad color ad glopped into a log mold. I forgot to remove it from the heat dang it. I was very slippery and hard to get out with a wooden spoon, smells great though I used jamaican me crazy and tried to swirl some yellow in but it was such a small batch in my big crockpot thats didnt work too well. It does have a pretty pineapple color though:D I dont know how long Im suppose to leave it in a log mold so Im going to do some searches on that, it wasn scarey at all once I started, I mixed my lye outside ad used all the safety gear.

OK ya'll theres no telling what Ill end up with, it never got as thick as the photos, I never saw the oils breaking back up, but it sarted growing in pot so I stired it down and added fo ad color ad glopped into a log mold. I forgot to remove it from the heat dang it. I was very slippery and hard to get out with a wooden spoon, smells great though I used jamaican me crazy and tried to swirl some yellow in but it was such a small batch in my big crockpot thats didnt work too well. It does have a pretty pineapple color though:D I dont know how long Im suppose to leave it in a log mold so Im going to do some searches on that, it wasn scarey at all once I started, I mixed my lye outside ad used all the safety gear.

Gosh Dang now im just jealous...lol Way to go sounds as if you had fun too. Goodl luck look forward to seeing some pics when it's all done. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST BATCH!! :highfive: sorry for the caps but i had to yell for you to hear me...hehe

I did have fun angel:yay: my son came by with his friend and touched his tounge to it, no way I was going to,lol. he said no tingle no zap so hopefully I did something right, I need to go back upstairs ad keep my mid off of it till its ready but I just can bring myself to leave it,LOL

LOL carol as long as I have kids willing to lick my tounges not getting close:drool:

I posted photos of my first try in the gallery if anyone wants to see them, hopefully Ill get better as I learn more, Im wanting to try again in the morning after I pour some candles, I better clear some more shelf space;)

You all are absolutely right, there is no better place to learn than here on candletech. I have been reading out here for a few years, I don't get into the conversations that much but i am out here everyday reading. I think i do fear playing with the lye but i do know i have to get over that because i am so interested in making soap. I thank each and every one of you for what you take the time to share with us on this board:highfive:.

:bliss: :bliss: One day this will be me when i make my first batch and come out here and share it with you guys.

Again thanks for all of your comments and help.

:bliss: :bliss: One day this will be me when i make my first batch and come out here and share it with you guys.

Again thanks for all of your comments and help.

Look forward ED1 to seeing them you're like me a little timid on getting in there and actually starting.

Oh and dixie i checked out your soaps. Fantastic work Girl :thumbsup:

You know what MommaD, i know i will have to be alone to do this, it's not my kids, but my DH talks all of the time and i know i could not concentrate with him around, and oh Lord when he see the lye, he will have the answer as to why i should not work with it, that's my professor. You know the jack of all trades, master of none, that's my man.

My favoriute beginner recipe is

90% Olive Oil

10% Casotr Oil

Super mild and great for sensitvie skin. This is a castile soap and a staple in my line. I leave this one uncolored and fragrance free.

Tomorrow morning.... I am rushing the kids off to their stuff and then I'm FREE!

What process are you going to use? - HP I think. Two reasons - 1. I'm inpatient, 2. I've got an extra crockpot that needs a reason for taking up space in my basement.

What scents? - none

What color? - none

Keeping it as simple as possible!

What kind of mold? - still debating. I have a pringles can I am quite assiduously emptying right now, and I have some silicone mini-loaf pans I'm considering (need more info - should I line those with freezer paper? spray with pam?), and I also have some plastic jar organizer trays that are exactly the right width for a bar, and long enough to cut into 3 bars that way. Recommendations?

Im so excited for you I wanna know all your plans.:D - ME TOO (on both)

carol, cant wait to hear how your soaping turns out.

I was in hubbys shop tonight and found what I think may be the perfect thing for trying round soap. hubby got a new water cooler a few weeks ago ad it had one of those round things that that you can put cups in he took it off and I asked if I could have it. Since one end wont come off it may not work cause it might not release the soap but if it would work it would make nice good sized round bars.

My favoriute beginner recipe is

90% Olive Oil

10% Casotr Oil

Super mild and great for sensitvie skin. This is a castile soap and a staple in my line. I leave this one uncolored and fragrance free.

Made my first batch of castile using E's recipe , it's great! Cut it this morning, it's a little on the soft side but is hardening up quite nicely all ready and couldn't resist trying some, it lathers wonderful and no slimy feeling.

Thanks E, for posting your recipe and your help.

Well my first batch of HP is under way. It never got too hard to stir, but I do see the oils breaking up (still, this part is going on forever - is it possible to over-stir it)? For now I stir it up every 5-10 nminutes but it's still soupy. I think I'm giving up on the "stages" and will put it in the mold when it gets good and gloppy.

Lye was no big deal, reminded me of chem. Did I mention I have a degree in Food Chem? Lots of lab time and goggle marks that lasted a whole day, but no recollection of any of the academics. LOL.

And just did the tongue test wihtout even thinking about it - it's a natural. For those of you who are wondering, YES you will know if there is still active lye! But even though I was only about half-way thoroug, and it was way too early to do it, no hole in my tongue! Guess it's not such a bad thing after all.

OK, the saga will continue soon.

I just wanted to give Crafty a thumbs up for her awesome soaps! I just bought some from her because I am a chicken! Her soaps ROCK!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Garsh, thanks. :o

Ummmm....mods, we definitely need to make this post a sticky. :laugh2: