Emulsified Body Butter

cindym

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OKAY! I'm making this tonight...absolutely!

Now, I need a little advice from all you experts. If I sub cetyl alcohol for the stearic acid, do I use the same amount?

Also, what is Liquid Par Optima and what can I sub for it?

Thanks for help...and will let you all know how it turns out!

:D

Ok, I need advice on instructions as well. I've never made anything but Whipped shea before so I've never had to use "lotion making instructions" before. I read Bunny's instructions but since I'm not using aloe juice, do I need to heat the water and hold it? Can I do this on a double boiler? OR will that not make it hot enough? I need REALLY basic instructions. Something I can use for different recipes. I looked online but they all say to just melt everything but the fo, preservative and cornstarch, then to whip it and then add the last 3 things. So...can anyone simplify this for me? I've been dying to make this recipe!

Christina

Ok ~ I did firegirls recipe (in this thread) and she helped me so here is what I did & It came out great.:yay:

Melt all oils, butters,e-wax and sreric

heat water until it comes to a boil then mix the two together.

Now you are ready to add the dri flo and liqua par optima when all is cool.

You might want to put ice and a little water in a larger bowl and mix all in seperate bowl on top of that~ it cools down faster that way.Any ?'s pm me:highfive:

Ok ~ I did firegirls recipe (in this thread) and she helped me so here is what I did & It came out great.:yay:

Melt all oils, butters,e-wax and sreric

heat water until it comes to a boil then mix the two together.

Now you are ready to add the dri flo and liqua par optima when all is cool.

You might want to put ice and a little water in a larger bowl and mix all in seperate bowl on top of that~ it cools down faster that way.Any ?'s pm me:highfive:

Actually, that is not correct. Heat your liquid to 170, keep it there for at least 20 minutes, (phase 1) then mix your oils in (phase 2) when cooled add your FO and preservative (phase 3).

How do I get the water to 170? I stuck it in tthe microwavefor approx 30 mins in all and it only ever "just" got to 170 and started going down the second I took it out (which is why I left it in for so long). Am I supposed to be doing this on the stove?

Christina

Actually, that is not correct. Heat your liquid to 170, keep it there for at least 20 minutes, (phase 1) then mix your oils in (phase 2) when cooled add your FO and preservative (phase 3).

Yep.. this is correct.. I boil my water for at least 20 minutes.. usually longer while I measure out my other ingredients.. According to the formulary at www.lotioncrafter.com , the temperature should actually be held at 176 degrees for at least 20 minutes. You can find out about the proper lotion making phases at this website in recipes in the formulary section. Each recipe has the instructions for different types of lotions and creams, but you will get the idea once you read enough of the recipe instructions. Suga Jewels.. sorry if I did not make that part clear.. my bad! Oh.. and I use the conditioning Ewax from MMS or lotioncrafter and it is the BOMB!!!

• 1 month later...

Guys please have this formula tested if you are going to put into any stores. I make this for myself and my friends only and they use it rather quickly. I have not had problems with it but it is important to have anything tested if you are going to sell it.

As far as the water goes, what I do is measure extra water and just boil it for 20 mins.

E has the instructions correct. thanks E

Please do your research on sanitation proceedures etc. when making any kind of lotion. I also give this as gifts to my accounts. They all want to buy it from me but I won't as I haven't had it tested.

Guys please have this formula tested if you are going to put into any stores. I make this for myself and my friends only and they use it rather quickly. I have not had problems with it but it is important to have anything tested if you are going to sell it.

As far as the water goes, what I do is measure extra water and just boil it for 20 mins.

E has the instructions correct. thanks E

Please do your research on sanitation proceedures etc. when making any kind of lotion. I also give this as gifts to my accounts. They all want to buy it from me but I won't as I haven't had it tested.

Ok, I have a confession to make, I still have some of this great body butter from the swap. One of the reasons to be in a swap is to learn about different formulas and preservatives, this one has stood the test of time. Nothing is growing or smelling funky and it has been over a year. I have had to toss some, but not this one!

It is a great recipe Cindy, it still feels great and smells great.

OK... I want to try this recipe out and have never made lotion. My question is when you bring the water to the boil and hold it at 170, do you put a lid on it so that it doesn't evaporate?? I have searched and searched for the answer, but the only thing I saw was if water evaporated, to add some more water ... if I did that would that water also need to boiled to make sure all the "buggies" are out??

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question and TIA.

:( I "THOUGHT" I ordered everything from MMS to make this and was all excited BUT some airhead got avocado BUTTER not oil. :lipsrseal

Is there anywhere I can try and look locally for avocado oil without ordering it online?

Thanks!!

I'm confused. The recipe in post one calls for avocado butter. Did it change somewhere along the line.

15.6 ozs Water

1.5 ozs Steric

1.5 ozs E-wax

7.5 ozs Olive OIl

3 ozs Avacado Butter

.3 ozs Fo Black Raspberry Vanilla

.3 ozs Liquid Par Optima

.15 ozs Vit E

.15 ozs Dry Flo

Chris

Ok I feel TOTALLY stupid now. I am not sure what I was looking at but I thought when I glanced at it again, it was for avocado oil and not butter.

:tiptoe: going to go see if beano will help these brain farts :embarasse

Houston -

I have a problem :laugh2:

I made up my second batch tonite and wanted to try different oil instead of olive oil. Sooooo I was going to do 1/2 jojoba oil and 1/2 SAO.

By the time I measured out my oils and went to mixing everything, I realized that it wasn't SAO I grabbed it was Aloe Extract Oil.

This butter is pretty greasy :( I had 3 of us try it and it wasn't just me that felt it was greasy. It kind of left a sheen and we had to rub it in some more. Will it go on different once it has had time to sit say 24 hours or is Aloe Oil just naturally greasy?

The recipe is really easy to make and I am having fun making it. I guess one of these days, I will leave well enough alone and not change a recipe lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What happened to this post..:shocked2:

I have never made anything but Candles..

I have been thinking for making some lotions with

FO's that did not work well in my soy candles.

I found this post..and have so enjoyed reading it,,it has made me

want to try this one too..Did you ever get that tested??

Is this a good lotion for a first timer to try??

I don't want to get in over my head lol:laugh2:

But the sound of this lotion, makes me want to

jump in a give it a try..:drool:

Watch out Gran, this post is what got me addicted to BB products :laugh2:

I ordered my supplies from MMS a few months ago and my first batch came out great like a nice thick cream. I had to go back and use a little IPM to cut the greasy feeling. I have made several batches since that have come out AWESOME for friends but I don't sell it because of the testing issue.

Give it a try, its FUN :yay: