Cloudy Gel ??

Boogey2Shoes

I have gone back and read the old forum ?&A. Learned a lot. Question: How do you seal sand and is it worth using beach sand that has been sifted and then sealed or are you better off using craft sand? Do you recommend sealing craft sand, gravels , etc. Also, can I use my now cloudy, unscented gel for home use? Thanks.

Seal your sand by arranging how you like and slowly pouring a thin layer over top until it is completely covered. (Pour slowly as not to disturb your arranged base). Let this set up completely until firm and make your scene from there. The cooled base should stay intact preventing the sand etc. from rising up through your scene. NOTE: if your putting your scenes into the oven to reduce bubbles etc. after it is made, the gel will seep down into the sand making it appear wet and air bubbles may occur.

Sand can act like a giant wick, make sure your either double glassing so the flame doesn't reach the sand area or crimp your wick above the sand so the flame stops prior to reaching it.

If the problem with your cloudy gel is in fact the sand being disturbed then yes you could most likely use it for yourself however as with any testing etc. Never leave a burning candle unnattended! If you have any concerns that your clouding is fragrance related, (polarity issues) then do not use.

HTH

Wendy

EDITED TO ADD:some aquarium gravels are epoxy coated and are flammable, double glass or at the least crimp above the wick on these too.

I read someplace that putting your container with the arranged sand in the oven at 170 for an hour would decrease the air bubbles when you poured the gel. Then do as Chris said. Also I've used salt for white sand. But I either double glass or crimp the wick about the salt or sand.

Also on polarity testing. This is really important. Test the polarity of each FO before using even if it was labeled as gel safe. Also test each new bottle of FO even if you have used that FO from that supplier before. It is one of those 'An ounce of prevention' things.

When I make beach scenes I use play sand that I pick up at our home improvement center and sift out the bigger pieces. I pour the sand into the container and pack it down lightly. This helps with air pockets in the sand. Set up the beach scene and pour a thin layer of gel (about 1/8 to1/4 inch of gel) to seal it. Let it set up. Before I pour the remaining gel in the container I take my heat gun and soften up the gel around the glass edge inside the container. Be careful not to heat it too much or you will get bubbles from the sand coming up. This helps with the line you get when you pour your second layer of gel.

Since your gel is unscented then you know that the scent did not cloud it and you can use it for home use. You may find that the sand particles will clog your wick and you may not get a good burn from the gel.

HTH,

Chris