Need Advice on soy votives...(ARG)

hey all, glad the board is back up! With all that extra time I actually had to make some candles :P !

Seriously tho, anyone using Ecosoya VB? I am having a very frustrating experience with this stuff. Cracking, pitting. I've tried pouring high and low, doesn't seem to matter. Hitting them w/ heat gun after set up is a PITA. I've tried doing 2 pours and still there's pitting, dammit! Any general advice from a seasoned votiver? tks

For ky soy votive/pillar blend what is the largest diameter you can make a pillar out of? I have a mold that is 3.5 by 3 and I would love to make some pillars. I tried EL soy with bees wax and without. The pillars look nice but they don't burn right The wax seems to be too soft.

I haven't gotten in to the pillar making part of it much yet (been busy on other things). But it is something I want to pursue. I use that blend mostly right now for votives and it is the best wax I have tried so far for them.

Lorie,

If you have the EL pillar/votive soy a great recipe (credit goes to Lyschel at Candle Cocoon for developing) is:

1 lbs EL Pillar/votive

1 oz Palm steric

4 oz beeswax

I haven't tried it but its supposed to burn like a paraffin candle (you can actually hug the sides in unlike regular soy pillars).

I'm not making straight soy pillars for myself anymore but when I did the 3x3.5" pillars were the best looking while burning.

I was using the Ecosoya VB and had the same problems. Had too much wax left to ditch, though, so started making votives with 1/2 VB and 1/2 Ecosoya CB135. That seemed to have solved the problem and I still get nice, firm votives. When the Ecosoya VB is used up, though, I'm going to try the KY.

Ditch that other wax! ;)

The KY Pillar/Votive wax is the BOMB. It makes fantastic votives!

I agree, KY pillar/votive wax is a really good wax and is the way to go. I tried several others and found this one to be so much better than the others. However, I do have to do a repour but the votives come out so creamy looking that its worth it.

Lorie,

If you have the EL pillar/votive soy a great recipe (credit goes to Lyschel at Candle Cocoon for developing) is:

1 lbs EL Pillar/votive

1 oz Palm steric

4 oz beeswax

I haven't tried it but its supposed to burn like a paraffin candle (you can actually hug the sides in unlike regular soy pillars).

I'm not making straight soy pillars for myself anymore but when I did the 3x3.5" pillars were the best looking while burning.

I have tried this for votives. It gets rid of the frosting and I didn't have to change wick sizes. Two things I did notice were: the colors were a little off and deeper cause of the yellow in the beeswax and 2 the votives were a little oily feeling even ones where I didn't use FOs at all. Scent throw was the same as the straight EL.

I was able to use the EL votive wax for a yin and yang pillar. Burned fine given the odd shape.