GW 464 Test Results Thread

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used dye chips/flakes at first and got alot of frosting too...I switched to the EVO liquid and now I get NO frosting at all! However, the set ups after the first few burns look awful (lumpy, craters, etc)...then after several burns, the tops set up pretty smooth again...go figure???

Geek,

You basicly temper the wax. Tempering will break down the crystal structure and always get rid of the frosting/blooming. YOu can use colors you never thought possible when you temper. To temper this wax do the following.

Bring temp to 125 and stir to melt all the wax. add scent and color

Drop temp to 100

raise temp to 115 (you may be able to pour at this point, if you still get frosting then)......

drop temp to 100 and pour.

jason

can't wait to try that w/some of my darker colors, but J- I use color chips, and the wax has to go to at least 150 the first time around. Is that OK??

can't wait to try that w/some of my darker colors, but J- I use color chips, and the wax has to go to at least 150 the first time around. Is that OK??

From what I gather from PMing with Jason, you could heat the wax to 150 or higher, add the color and stir till incorporated, then cool completely till solid. Then remelt to the temps he indicated and take it from there. HTH!

geek

From what I gather from PMing with Jason, you could heat the wax to 150 or higher, add the color and stir till incorporated, then cool completely till solid. Then remelt to the temps he indicated and take it from there. HTH!

geek

can't wait to try it!!! oh, and Geek- sure are gonna miss you in the 474 thread...lol

Geek, he told me the same method works with the 415. I will try that one again.

I am still skeptical about 464 because you can't take a heat gun to smooth it out. You get only one shot to pour or you do a second pour. I can honestly say I am too much of a perfectionist with my tops to accept that. I have to think it over some more.

That may be too high. You only want to bring the wax no more than 10 degrees over the melt point. All the wax may not be melted, so you will have to mix it up and distribute the heat. Then drop and bring up 5 degrees under the melt point, drop and pour.

feel free to call me with any questions.

That may be too high. You only want to bring the wax no more than 10 degrees over the melt point. All the wax may not be melted, so you will have to mix it up and distribute the heat. Then drop and bring up 5 degrees under the melt point, drop and pour.

feel free to call me with any questions.

I will definately give that a try, TY J.

THIS IS AN AWESOME THREAD!!

I will let you know what happens.

I would try the 1212 first,,,I also tested the 1312 and it worked well with the 464 if you look through the thread here at my posts,,,,I am testing the new 700 premier series and starting to love it!!! Just give it a go and see how it works,,,,HTH

I have not heard of the 700 premier series wicks. Can I ask where you got them and how did you hear about them and how your testing with them is going?

Thanks,

Rhonda

I have not heard of the 700 premier series wicks. Can I ask where you got them and how did you hear about them and how your testing with them is going?

Thanks,

Rhonda

Here is the link for Wick n Clip. They carry the premier series wicks. You can request a free sample of the 700 series, you get a vast array of sizes to test.

http://www.wicknclip.com/

HTH

If you temper the wax and add FO at 125 degrees does this have a detrimental affect on scent throw? It would seem to me that the FO would not be thoroughly incorporated into the wax. I tried this and it does help with frosting, however, I don't seem to have the scent throw (cold and hot) that I had with candles made without tempering the wax.

I used 3 drops of red liquid dye in 8 oz. of wax and the only frosting I had was a little on the side facing an open window and on the bottom for some reason I couldn't figure out. The top was absolutely perfect - smooth and creamy with no frosting.

I guess we're going to have to wait for Jason or someone to let us know because I've always thought like you that the wax had to be heated a lot higher than 125 degrees to get the FO to blend. The scent throw didn't seem to be as good when I tried tempering the wax but I'm thinking it could just be my imagination because I had always thought it had to be heated more.

Beacause the candle is poured at a lower temp it will set up faster. Therefore, the fO will not have time to settle in the oil/wax. This should have no effect on the scent throw. If you believe it does then you have to ask your self, frosting or throw. Although, I don't even think this is a question.

I have often said that there is 100 ways to skin a cat. This is true with making candles. If you believe that pouring at 175 creates a better scent throw, then by all means do it. I personally don't understand where the FO goes is adding it at 125 or 175. I know a lot of people who do it both ways. It doesn't mean on is right or wrong. Bottom line- Do what is best for you.

Testing results in general:

I poured 10 - 3.5" crocks using the 464; no color, 9% fragrance and double wicking. I did not heat the crocks; room temperature was around 70*. I had different setup results; I think some due to the fragrance used, and also due to pour temperature. I poured the first 4 - 5 crocks at around 135* - 138*; these setup up nicely with a bit of surface scarring on some; not bad. I then poured the last 5 crocks a bit cooler; around 125* - 128* and found some caving around the wick area and surface scarring. A heatgun did solve this problem.

My thoughts on these different results is, since these crocks are ceramic and are cooler in temperature than some thinner jars, I need to pour hotter...the ones I did pour a bit hotter setup alot nicer. I have read some great results on this board with others pouring hotter (150* - 170*) and will try this with my next crock testers.

For those of you who are pouring hotter (150* - 170*) are your results consistant in the setup being nice and smooth? I will post my results once I pour some more crock testers. Back to the drawing board :D

Overall conclusion on the 464...I just love this wax! Now to get the pour temps down. By the way, the jars I posted earlier on did very well with the wicks I posted. The only one I had to change was the Patchouli, of course. I ended up using a 1312, and it did just fine. I am finding my wick sizes are not changing much from the wax I already use. I was hoping it would by allowing me to wick down at least one size, but no big deal! I can get this wax locally, and will be switching as soon as my testing is completed. I never though I would find a wax comparable to what I already use, but now I have!! GREAT JOB JASON! :yay:

Edited to say: When I lit the crocks that setup with a smooth top, I did have hidden sink holes. I have to repour 2 crocks since the wicks burned down quickly and the testers were destroyed. I am going to do repours on my crocks since this is my largest jar and the only one I double wick...just to play it safe for customers...unless someone has a solution to stop the sink holes and craters...anyone?

Geek, he told me the same method works with the 415. I will try that one again.

I am still skeptical about 464 because you can't take a heat gun to smooth it out. You get only one shot to pour or you do a second pour. I can honestly say I am too much of a perfectionist with my tops to accept that. I have to think it over some more.

Stacie,

I just noticed this post. I have used a heat gun on the 464 with great results. Call me and I would like to go over this with you.

Jason

dang, I forget who I have to thank for this :o.....I poured a 464 candle today, adding 1 1/2 tsp of Crisco w/4oz of wax, colored dark, dark blue, and 6% FO (NG Black Magic) and.......

:drool: IT IS BEAUTIFUL :yay::bliss:

can't wait to burn this baby tomorrow, especially since I forgot to wick down (oopsies)

will post results

results from today-

found one very small spot of frosting( I can live w/that) melt pool got too deep, 'cause I didn't wick down. but it seems to not have the throw that the straight 464 does. it is possible that I shorted the FO% a bit, so I will do another and pay closer attention. it did set up beautifully after both test burns.