RRD wicks

Hey everyone, good to be back up and running!!! I was hoping that someone could give me some insight on a wicking issue. I have been testing my ecosoy PB votives with many different wicks. So far these are what I've tested:

36-18P - way too small

44-24-18C - ok but flame tends to get weak

HTP 62 - too small

HTP 73 - ok but I don't like the hangup

LX 12 - way too small

LX 16 - ok, but slightly too small

I am at the point of testing LX 18 (which apparently are way too big for votives) but they seem to be doing ok so far. I've tried LX 20 but they're too big. It was suggested to me to try the RRD 40 and I was sent some samples from my supplier. She said all her customers use RRD40 with soy votives and are very happy with them. Well, I've tried them and although they burned quite well, the flame height was an inch tall and danced too much. So I was wondering if any one had tried an RRD 40 with votives and how were the results? My supplier is getting in RRD 34 & RRD 37 soy maybe those will work. If anyone out there uses LX wicks for their soy votives, which do you find works best?

I'm finding that the LX 18 and 20 burn well initially, but then do not burn fully to the edges on 2nd and 3rd burns, I'm thinking that they are burning way too hot and just burn down and not out. But the flame is always nice. Sorry that this post is so terribly long, I'm just quite confused as to this whole wicking thing. I know it's been suggested to try Eco Wicks, but I cannot seem to find them in Canada and shipping can be quite costly from the USA. Any thoughts? I appreciate any info, thanks everyone!!

Hey everyone, good to be back up and running!!! I was hoping that someone could give me some insight on a wicking issue. I have been testing my ecosoy PB votives with many different wicks. So far these are what I've tested:

36-18P - way too small

44-24-18C - ok but flame tends to get weak

HTP 62 - too small

HTP 73 - ok but I don't like the hangup

LX 12 - way too small

LX 16 - ok, but slightly too small

I am at the point of testing LX 18 (which apparently are way too big for votives) but they seem to be doing ok so far. I've tried LX 20 but they're too big. It was suggested to me to try the RRD 40 and I was sent some samples from my supplier. She said all her customers use RRD40 with soy votives and are very happy with them. Well, I've tried them and although they burned quite well, the flame height was an inch tall and danced too much. So I was wondering if any one had tried an RRD 40 with votives and how were the results? My supplier is getting in RRD 34 & RRD 37 soy maybe those will work. If anyone out there uses LX wicks for their soy votives, which do you find works best?

I'm finding that the LX 18 and 20 burn well initially, but then do not burn fully to the edges on 2nd and 3rd burns, I'm thinking that they are burning way too hot and just burn down and not out. But the flame is always nice. Sorry that this post is so terribly long, I'm just quite confused as to this whole wicking thing. I know it's been suggested to try Eco Wicks, but I cannot seem to find them in Canada and shipping can be quite costly from the USA. Any thoughts? I appreciate any info, thanks everyone!!

I've used RRD's in my pillars before and they do wonderful. RRD40 is WAY too big for a votive. I would suggest a RRD 29 to start.

FYI: Here's some size recommendations for the RRD's

wRRD29 Small Candles, approx. 2 - 2.25"

wRRD34 Small Containers, approx. 2.25 - 2.5"

wRRD37 Medium Containers, approx. 2.5 - 3"

wRRD40 Medium Containers, approx. 3 - 3.25"

wRRD47 Large Containers, approx. 3.5"

wRRD50 Large Containers, approx. 3.75"

wRRD55 Large Containers, approx. 4 - 4.5"

edited to add: The pillars I used these wicks with was 1343. Since you are using soy which typically requires to wick up a size, I would say the dimensions suggested for the rrd29 might just work out. Give it a try, that's the onlyway you're going to know for sure. :) If you don't have any, let me know and i can send you a couple to test.

I've used an RRD 34 in my votives with the best results of all. I found the 29's to be too small for me and I didn't get a good throw from them. The 40s were too big. If you can get some ECOs or CDs, I would suggest an 8 or 10 in both as a starting point. I think votives are harder to wick than containers because it seems one size is too small and the next size up is too big. Frustrating!! Good luck!

I used the EcoSoya PB for quite some time, and if you have some HTPs, or CDs I can help. For the most part, I used HTP83s, but since then they have changed the HTP wicks, so I would start with an HTP83, or an HTP93. I also used CD10s and CD12s. In my opinion, the EcoSoya PB is a bit harder to burn than other natural votive waxes and requires a hotter wick. HTH

Thanks very much for the info! I did try HTP 73 and found them just a tad small. The only thing I don't like about hte HTP's is the tunnelling at first. I will be trying them in my hex jars. I have HTP 1212 (I think) coming for my jars candles.

I am currently burning my test LX18 and LX20 for my votives. I find that the LX wicks tend to get weak as well, just like the 44-24-18 Cottons that I have. I have been told by quite a few people that the LX18 are WAAAAY to big for votives and that worries me that I am doing something wrong. They have burned the best for me so far despite the flame getting weak on occassion. Meridith, in regard to the RRD wicks, I will be getting some from my supplier in the next day or so. Like I said, the RRD40 is what was suggested to me by a supplier and they burned wonderfully except for the large 1 inch flame, which is apparently too big for a votive. I'm still relatively new to this, so I'm just learning about the whole ROC and flame height and melt pool diameter stuff hehehe.

I suppose I just get worried because I'm using such big wicks in comparision to what everyone else is using for the same soy wax and it makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong lol. Thanks for the info everyone!

I started out using Lx 18 for my votives until I tried them in a really tight fitting votive holder. I found out the flame became very weak. Now I use RRD40. If you start out at a 1/4 inch wick it doesn't get too large of a flame.

A place called candlewic.com carries the eco wicks by the spools. I haven't tried those wicks but I thought I would let you know where to get them.

I agree with Meridith that votives are very hard to wick. It is hard to know what type of container people will be using, and that really effects how it burns too.