Major Dissapointment

Sarah S

1 hour ago, Shari said:

I loved the Texas Ren Faire, my sisters lived in Houston for 18 years.  We would go every year.    I've been to the one here in Michigan, not been impressed but I think Texas spoiled us.

If you’re talking about the Holly Michigan one, I felt the same. Two entirely different management teams and ownership for those. It makes all the difference. Was checking it out to possibly open a shop there. After observing the Faire layout, patrons, lax standards, etc.  it was a big nope for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

If you’re talking about the Holly Michigan one, I felt the same. Two entirely different management teams and ownership for those. It makes all the difference. Was checking it out to possibly open a shop there. After observing the Faire layout, patrons, lax standards, etc.  it was a big nope for me. 

Yep, that's the one.  I checked it out to see if it would be worth while being a vendor and quickly changed my mind.  That was a couple years ago.  Same reason, the layout and plus everything just looked dirty to me.   Starting with the restrooms out front, it just reeked.   My daughter wants to go check it out as she just moved back here and I keep telling her it's not worth it.

14 minutes ago, Shari said:

Yep, that's the one.  I checked it out to see if it would be worth while being a vendor and quickly changed my mind.  That was a couple years ago.  Same reason, the layout and plus everything just looked dirty to me.   Starting with the restrooms out front, it just reeked.   My daughter wants to go check it out as she just moved back here and I keep telling her it's not worth it.

It was worth the day trip to me. DD and I went last September after our faire ended. It was a nice easy drive from the Chicago area. We made a girls weekend out of it.  Bonus - we got to meet up with @moonshine.

Yes, everything seemed covered in dirt. The soap shops displayed open/naked product in buckets. soap bars were liberally covered with dirt. Too many places selling scented things pushed at "educating" us about the evils of fragrances. gag.

What disappointed me was the lax garb standards for merchants. People minded their shops in contemporary clothes, or a half-hearted attempt at a piece of garb over a t-shirt and converse shoes. too bad. they get a really nice gate at that show.

I DID like the way the MI joust uses rescue horses, and how intimate the birds of prey demonstrations are. Both were quite cozy compared to the thousands of people deep joust arena of my home faire.

The only regret I have is not buying a few pieces of lampwork art glass at a cute little cart at one end of the fair near the joust. So many cute pendant bottles, pumpkins, cauldrons, etc.  I looked her up but she does not "do" online cart. I could email her for a quick surprise if I could get out of my own way and do it. lol.

DD, DH and I may trek out to the Ohio ren fest around Columbus day.  It's only maybe 5-6 hours drive for us. May be able to convince some Ohio family to join (and @moonshine) Ohio is making strides toward becoming the best in the US. 4 younger partners bought it with that single intent. A few fellow artists keep shops there and really love it - trying at every chance to convince us to expand beyond Bristol and be their neighbors there too. I can't imagine 18 solid weeks of faires - with one common 3-day weekend between the two. Maybe once DD leaves for college.