Major Dissapointment

Sarah S

I had such a bad day... I paid beau coup bucks for a vendor spot at a major event in the big city near me, it is a massive event that pulls in thousands of people. I was really lucky to get a spot, and I've been busting my ass to get enough inventory ready to go.

Loaded up the car last night, because they were calling for a chance of showers this morning. Well, I woke up this morning and it was POURING.

My husband looks out the window and says "how long has your tire been like that?". What?? Yep, flat tire. So darling hubby manfully changes the tire to the spare for me, in the rain, and I drive off to my event. In the pouring rain. It's an outdoor venue, btw. Oh, and I can't forget to mention that even though it has been in the high 90s all week, today the temperature plummeted to 60 degrees.

Guys, I stood in the frigid pouring rain under my woefully inadequate tent and shivered in misery for 8 hours, and ended up with -$30. 😭😭😭

This event should have been a major kickoff for my fall/holiday season.

I'm still pretty new at selling, how do you recoup from this kind of setback?

I have another show the first weekend in October that I did very well at last year, but it's also outdoors so now I'm nervous. And I'm a little gun shy about signing up for anything else, so much of what we have around here are church sales and such that just aren't worth the time. 

The worst part is, I had a cart full of new fragrances to try from BC, and now I can't get them! 😢😢

• Sad 2

I can actually laugh because this has happened to me,and it was one of my first ever craft shows. Was enough to make me want to quit but i didnt. My very next show i sold out of everything that i had taken. 

Dont let one get you down,keep pushing forward.

I think alot of times they overbook either candle vendors or jewelry vendors so i branched out with other things like wreaths and gift baskets. 

I think all old heads have at least 1 horror story..

Heres 1 of mine.

I had met a lady at a craft show and we decided to start doing shows togethef and split costs. So we got to our event and had our area all decorated, but nobody was even coming over. So she decided to walk around and people were coming and buying she came back and nobody lol.  She said girrrrrl i picked a racist event. She wasnt feeling well and went to her vehicle to lay down for awhile and hello, people came again and buying. I told her to get her things so we could just pack up and go. Well while we were packing up some ass put something on her tires so when we drove through the gravel her tires were caked. We were literally on the side of the road with sticks and mess trying to clean her tires for a couple hours. I made it 3 miles from my house and got pulled by a cop. They surrounded my car like i had commited a murder and asking me all sorts of questions. I told him what had happened and he still goes on and on with random questions. I finally told him just stop with this q& a mess. You are obviously going to give me a ticket so please just write it and give it to me so i can be on my way... well i got that ticket and nearly $ 200 to pay it 😂😂😂😂 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

@Sarah S, oh I'm so sorry you had such a miserable day and didn't make any money.

I don't do many vendor events.  It seems they are always a disappointment.  Last year I did a Holiday bazaar at my grandson's middle school.  I probably took at least 12 dozen candles, and sold a whopping 11 candles.  

I did sell more melts than candles, and my grandson had fun helping me.  I usually clear around $100 at a vendor event.  I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to even do it this year.  

I've never done an outdoor event.  I would be very leery to try it, Indiana weather is so fickle.  

Man, I'm sorry it was such a rough experience for you, @Sarah S@ScentedPleasurez how horrible.  I'm glad you got out that mess safely. 

I've seen some tutorials on pinterest how on how to fortify a craft booth against leaks from rain, there might be some helpful information in there. I'm hoping your next fair is a success. 

• Thanks 2

On 9/8/2018 at 7:14 PM, Sarah S said:

I'm still pretty new at selling, how do you recoup from this kind of setback?

I used to be a travelling salesman and, obviously, I was a new one at one time. Walking into stores and being treated meanly or just running into bad circumstances like you did that day is always horrible.  If you were like me, it was worse than the worst.  All my life, I carried a chip on my shoulder that was bigger than the national debt. I was always scared. Always nervous and doubting myself.  If I failed or the people were just rude to me, I would pack my samples back up (assuming they let me get THAT far) and figured it would always be that way. I just went through the motions. I would drive down the road to the next town, wishing I could just get the day over with and get to my hotel room where I could feel sorry for myself. It might only have been 9:00 AM :lol: but that was how I thought back then.. 

Though I was depressed, discouraged, away from home and alone in the heat of summer or pouring rain, I would still drive to the next lousy town. I might stumble across a little gift or flower shop or a drug store. It never appeared to be as good a prospect as the big, grand store that I just left and where I lost. So many times I wished that I wouldn't find any prospects at all rather than have to go through what happened in that last place.  "There's no way I'll sell anything here".  "Any other salesman could, but not ME". Isn't that a stupid way to think? That was my thought process and no one was going to take it away from me.

After finding as many ways as possible to kill time in a town with a population of 147, I might finally drag myself into that store.  Guess what... these people were actually nice! In fact, they really wanted to see what I had to show and much to my surprise and amazement I would walk out of there with an order. Many times a really BIG order. I made salesman of the month many times just by doing it my way. I'm not trying to sound like a motivational speaker here and my story is getting too long. We're supposed to be here to talk about your experience, not mine. Unfortunately I can't tell you that I lived happily ever after. It actually got worse. I failed at every job I ever had. 

I said all that so that I could say thisYou are not like I was. I noticed it immediately in your sentence that I quoted above. You are doing what I would never have been able to do by asking, "how do you recoup from this kind of setback". Yes, I'll agree it was a setback and it probably wouldn't make you feel any better to know that it was most likely the same for most of the other vendors. However, you still have your positive attitude. The right attitude. It shows in your writing. The next stop may be the same way also, but most of them down the road at the next town won't all be like that. It's reality check time.

Oh!  I almost forgot. Guess what I was selling back then. Yep. You guessed it. Candles and soap!!!!  I kid you not.;):)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Don't let it get you down.  My first show was very similar.  Arrived to the venue (2 days) and it was pouring cats and dogs.  Didn't set up that night (Friday) but was there bright and early on Saturday.  Got set up and it started raining again.  Mine was the opposite, it was about 95 degrees. My tent was like a steam bath with the heat and rain.  I was totally miserable.   Sold about 20-30 dollars worth.  Went to my hotel with my tail between my legs disappointed.  Showed back up on Sunday and had an amazing day. It's hard to put yourself out there.

I pretty much only do 3-4 two day shows a year.  I've had several that the day was lousy (rainy, cold, hotter than hades)  but I actually had great sales.   Last year we had a mini lake in front of my tent.  Had the crappiest weekend ever.   They refunded my money to me and moved me this year.   Hold your head up high.  And totally normal to kind of feel defeated sometimes.

• Like 2

Happens to every single one of us.  I’ve been through heat, humidity, rain, tornadoes, derechos, snow (yes snow in spring time). You name it.

eventually you find “your” marketplace and groove.  

I was at year 3 or 4 before I figured out “who” I was and “who” my customers are. Was actually in the process of closing up the business when fate took over. 

• Like 5

I had a show recently and if you included the cost of the booth and everything it was absolutely my worst one ever. That's saying a lot. I've been doing this art show craft sales for 20+ years on my own and before that working at Ren Fests and the like, so I do know what I'm doing at least a little bit. I advertised for this show, not just "sharing with friends" on FB but actual advertising. I worked my ass off. On a Tuesday evening at a Farmers Market in a working class neighborhood when its 60 and raining I'll make more money then I did at this show. Heck, I'll probably make more pulling change out of the cup holder of my dead grammas car.

Again worst ever. And not just for me. The only person who made any money was the woman who had all her customers come in to pick up and pay for her hand woven scarves and shawls. I think she reduced the prices to cover the door fee...

We ALL have had bad shows. It sucks you've had one too, think of yourself as part of the club now.

• Like 3

On 9/9/2018 at 12:12 PM, Jenni Wix said:

Man, I'm sorry it was such a rough experience for you, @Sarah S@ScentedPleasurez how horrible.  I'm glad you got out that mess safely. 

I've seen some tutorials on pinterest how on how to fortify a craft booth against leaks from rain, there might be some helpful information in there. I'm hoping your next fair is a success. 

There is a paint on waterproofing you can do. I'll find the link. https://smile.amazon.com/BOATERS-EDGE-Fabric-Guard-Waterproofing/dp/B06ZY2WXH3/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536756445&sr=8-2&keywords=canopy+waterproofing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iansmommaya said:

On a Tuesday evening at a Farmers Market in a working class neighborhood when its 60 and raining I'll make more money then I did at this show.

So far I've only been to craft fairs, flea markets and regularly scheduled events as a spectator, but not yet as a vendor. Rarely have I purchased anything. But on the times I've been to farmer's markets, I've gone with, at least, the intent of buying something. I'm going to give all those places a shot but I just have a feeling that the farmer's markets will probably be the best for home crafted stuff. I could be wrong about that. It's just a hunch. 

I don't know if I've ever been to a Ren Fest. That's a new term for me. What is a Ren Fest?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Quentin said:

So far I've only been to craft fairs, flea markets and regularly scheduled events as a spectator, but not yet as a vendor. Rarely have I purchased anything. But on the times I've been to farmer's markets, I've gone with, at least, the intent of buying something. I'm going to give all those places a shot but I just have a feeling that the farmer's markets will probably be the best for home crafted stuff. I could be wrong about that. It's just a hunch. 

I don't know if I've ever been to a Ren Fest. That's a new term for me. What is a Ren Fest?

I actually do well at Farmers Markets, I do two or three a week. It was an example. Ren Fest is short hand for Renissance Festival (Spelled that wrong) its a medevil reinactment acting and sales thing, they are all over the country and world I imagine.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Ren fests and Ren faires are HUGE and usually really hard to break into as so many categories are just plain overdone. It takes a while to figure out the fantasy crowd, but when they fall in love with you and your product you can do very well. 

The Mn. Ren Fest must have a thousand employees stores and costumed players, both. Maybe more. The Texas one is GIANT. I just worked for a dutch aunt who owned a store there.

The one I am in draws over a quarter million people in 19 days.  Michigan is similar in gate. Michigan started on Labor Day. Not everyone is there to buy, as it is a summer long party, but those that want a piece of the Faire to take home buy well. 

New york and Ohio are both good ones going on now. Both huge. New York is a sister to mine, as is one in California. They are all run very differently.  management takes a lot of patience and people skill to deal with 😒

two giant ant ones are in Texas. Scarborough and Texas Ren Faire. Google Ren fests in your area and start visiting. It’s an eye opener about some odd living.