Wick Suggestions for IGI 4627 Blend

I am having a really hard time finding a wick that works in a IGI 4627/Golden Brands 464 Blend.  I have tried the ECO wicks and they smoke like crazy.  I am still testing with the LX Wicks but so far from my test, the LX22 is too large and starts to smoke after a while and leaves carbon around the rim of the container - scent throw is great though.  The LX20 seems to be doing okay but with some mushrooming and I am afraid when I add fragrance it will not work as well.  The container is a straight sided tumbler with a diameter of about 3".

Just curious if anyone has any other suggestions.

I appreciate everyone's eagerness to help on here - found the site randomly a few weeks ago and signed up - I have already learned so much!   

2 minutes ago, debratant said:

Yep, agree with strugglebrother, HTP.  I use HTP with 4627  and it is the only container wax

I use.  If you pick them up, also pick up some 105 wicks in addition to the ones struggle mentioned

above. Some scents I need a 105.

Yeah true that, the more soy you use in the blend the bigger wick you need... 105 is definitely good to have on hand too!

On 9/7/2018 at 10:29 AM, strugglebrother said:

In that container I use a HTP 105 wick if only soy wax but the more of paraffin you use in the blend you might have to go down in sizes. What ratio in the blend do you use and how much fragrance?

Right now I am testing with no FO.  I am using 75% 4627 and 25% 464.

On 9/7/2018 at 10:34 AM, runner14jc said:

If you still have LX wicks, you may want to try the LX 16 and LX 18. It sounds like you just have too large of LX wicks so decreasing the size may be an easy fix.

I am test burning a LX16 and LX20 right now.  The LX16 struggled for a while but it is starting to burn better.  I am just afraid when I add FO the LX16 will be too small.  The LX16 is burning slower than the LX20 which is expected but the LX16 left hangup until the candle burned about 1/4 of the way down the container.

So I poured 3 unscented candles last night with 2 different HTP wicks and 1 Zinc.  I woke up this morning and there each candle has a small sinkhole/air pocket near the wick.  This has not happened before and I did not change anything as far as temps.  I think it will be any easy fix with a heat gun.

Just curious what temps you all are using?  I am blending 75% 4627 and 25% 464.  I pre-heat the glass in a 170 oven.  I heat the wax to 185 which is when I add fragrance and then allow to cool and pour at 170.  Do you think the wicks hold more air than others?  Perhaps the ambient air was cooler while they were drying.  I am at another loss.  

• 2 years later...

I’ve tested HTP, LX and Zinc. Zinc has a better scent throw if you ask me and a little less mushrooming. I add the FO in at a lower temp. And pour different size batches (Max size 5 jars) at whatever temperature I’m done stirring for is at. I get terrible glass adhesion even after correcting it with a heat gun sometimes. Other than that they burn great with a little soot which is normal for any Paraffin wax and the scent throw is great as well! 

• 6 months later...

I am using IGI 4627 Paraffin wax for 8 oz jelly jars. There aren't a huge amount of videos on youtube explaining the pour temperature for adding dye and fragrance and the pour temperature for pouring into containers and a lot of sources are contradicting. For instance, Candle Science says to add FO and dye at 185 and pour at 180 then they have an article saying to add FO at 190 and to pour at 180. I am confused on the actual pouring temperatures. Has anyone worked with this wax and on top of that what wicks are you using I am currently curing the candles that I made with the LX16 and LX18 wicks, testing to see which works best. I also ordered the htp-104 wick. I have heard great things about the htp wicks in general.

• 5 months later...
On 9/6/2018 at 5:45 PM, debratant said:

Yep, agree with strugglebrother, HTP.  I use HTP with 4627  and it is the only container wax

I use.  If you pick them up, also pick up some 105 wicks in addition to the ones struggle mentioned

above. Some scents I need a 105.!!!

What size container are you using?  Mine are 2.5 in diameter and I'm struggling with wicks...I bought the IGI 4627 and have had no luck!!!

• 2 years later...