Candles by accident

Ramr

Hello everyone. New here. First post ever on a candle forum. I came into candle making supplies by accident when someone moving out of a house left them all behind because they could not take them to the new place. Told me I could have them and to be careful or I would go nose blind. No kidding! Got a box of fragrance oils which I have been mixing madly, some of the candles I've made stink so bad I have to store them outside! I am learning a lot, mostly through accidents that go wrong. Doing lots of Google research. Who knew there was so much to know about making candles?!? I did come here with a specific question in mind and will post about it in General Discussion. I have lots of reading to do and hope to learn even more before I botch too much more wax.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought a scent called Fuzzy Peach. It is vile! It literally makes me recoil and feels like someone is ramming a knitting needle dipped in bleach right up my nose. Wow! Super bad! I hurled them outside on the deck. A friend came by and claims she likes them. Good, you can have the evil, stinking things. I used maybe a tablespoon of scent from that FO and no, no thank you, NOT going to happen. I put the bottle with other FOs that were invented by evil, demented souls. Now I'm scared to buy more FOS in case it's like having a knitting needle rammed up my nose.

• Haha 2

Welcome........ya know what ever type of scents catch your '''nose''', you can be assured that someone on the forum can help you to develop a nice candle........and/or direct you into producing some amazing products, i.e, candles, melts..and even B&B products.

Hey, hang around with us for a while and we will take your life to a new level...........

54 minutes ago, Ramr said:

I bought a scent called Fuzzy Peach. It is vile! It literally makes me recoil and feels like someone is ramming a knitting needle dipped in bleach right up my nose. Wow! Super bad! I hurled them outside on the deck. A friend came by and claims she likes them. Good, you can have the evil, stinking things. I used maybe a tablespoon of scent from that FO and no, no thank you, NOT going to happen. I put the bottle with other FOs that were invented by evil, demented souls. Now I'm scared to buy more FOS in case it's like having a knitting needle rammed up my nose.

There are countless scents that we pour for friends and or customers that we really hate.......that is the nature of the business!!  But I do feel that I need to address the issue of '''a tablespoon of scent''  As you get into candle making, you will need to measure your scents by weight,.,.,.,.not teaspoons.

Now, that said, please tell us what type of FOs you like........fruits, earthy, etc, etc...........and we can help you on your way to pouring candles that you, the candlemaker, can actually enjoy and be proud of  :-)

• Like 1

PamW, I do not own an accurate scale. I do have a scale that came with the supplies, but I think it's pretty crappy. If I continue making candles I realize that an accurate scale will be critical. In light of that, I add no more than 15 mls of FO to a pound of wax. Or at least a pound as measured by that wonky scale.

What scents do I like so far? I do tend to gravitate towards the sweeter vanilla scents.   I did make one I  call Lemon Dream, blending  lemon and Clarity (a FO sold by BeeCee Wicks and Wax). There is nothing sweet about it and I love the zesty, bright smell. I don't really know what I like. I just know what I hate. And I throw it on the deck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ramr, little by little you will start building up your supply of candle making tools.  The scale should be at the top of your list so that you can not only get an accurate amt in the candle but also, not waste money if adding too much FO....it's all a learning experience.  One day at a time .......and........one wick at a time.....keep pouring and keep enjoying the testing :-)

• Like 1

just a little follow up:  since you like vanilla scents, here is a little info:  Vanilla FO will weigh heavier on a scale than some fruity type scent and will also be a little harder to wick.........funny that the most popular candle scent in the US is Vanilla and the biggest PITA  😉