Hello Everyone.

I recently joined Craft Server and I'm certainly enjoying it. It's nice to chat and collaborate with people that have the same interests. I have found a lot of good information on this site as well as some new ideas to consider and even test out. It's great that everyone is so nice and free with sharing information, tips, tricks, etc. I have already and will continue to share information with you as well.

I have been playing around and making candles for the last 3 years and it has been fun, expensive and at times very disappointing. Many times I have considered throwing everything in the trash and I'm sure many of you have been there too. LOL. But it's like I can't stop; I love the challenge, I love the scents and I love solving problems. My goal is to starting selling them as soon as I have a safe and enjoyable product that I would be proud of.

Happy Candle Making!

Laura C

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Laura C said:

Hi Forrest, thank you. What type of candles do you make and what wax do you use?

I spent the first half of this year testing to get my wicks right and lately I've just been testing FOs. I mostly do tureens with 6006, wicking those things is a bear. Below is one I made for my granddaughter in Jelly doughnut. I ink the containers using alcohol ink.

IMG_1700.thumb.jpg.404aea5ad884d03e3d1b14201877d4de.jpg

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

I spent the first half of this year testing to get my wicks right and lately I've just been testing FOs. I mostly do tureens with 6006, wicking those things is a bear. Below is one I made for my granddaughter in Jelly doughnut. I ink the containers using alcohol ink.

IMG_1700.thumb.jpg.404aea5ad884d03e3d1b14201877d4de.jpg

Cool, that's a neat effect with the wax, bet your granddaughter loved it, young girls usually love the color purple. Yes, on here, I have heard that tureen jars are hard to wick properly. So I guess you like the 6006 paraffin/soy wax? I have been wondering if I should try it, if it's easy to work with. Does it do as it clams: no additives needed, good jar adhesion, and great cold & hot scent throw?

4 hours ago, Laura C said:

Cool, that's a neat effect with the wax, bet your granddaughter loved it, young girls usually love the color purple. Yes, on here, I have heard that tureen jars are hard to wick properly. So I guess you like the 6006 paraffin/soy wax? I have been wondering if I should try it, if it's easy to work with. Does it do as it clams: no additives needed, good jar adhesion, and great cold & hot scent throw?

I have found it to be very easy to work with, but I think it would be too soft for clams. No additives needed, great adhesion and great throw. The only thing I don't like is that it requires cure time.

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

I have found it to be very easy to work with, but I think it would be too soft for clams. No additives needed, great adhesion and great throw. The only thing I don't like is that it requires cure time.

Ok, thanks, that stuff is good to know. Cure time to harden, or to improve scent throw or both? And how long of a cure time?

47 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Ok, thanks, that stuff is good to know. Cure time to harden, or to improve scent throw or both? And how long of a cure time?

The cure time does improve the throw, but the candle will burn differently. On page 2 of the General Candle Making Discussions forum there is a thread titled Somewhat surprising cure test results. There is a little bit on what curing can do.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Forrest said:

The cure time does improve the throw, but the candle will burn differently. On page 2 of the General Candle Making Discussions forum there is a thread titled Somewhat surprising cure test results. There is a little bit on what curing can do.

Awesome, thanks for cluing me in on that thread. 

47 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Welcome! I've been there with throwing in the trash and have done it with a couple of waxes.   It gets in your blood and you simply have to play with wax in some way or form once you get the addiction.

Hi. LOL, yes, so you know what I mean.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:51 PM, Laura C said:

Hello Everyone.

I recently joined Craft Server and I'm certainly enjoying it. It's nice to chat and collaborate with people that have the same interests. I have found a lot of good information on this site as well as some new ideas to consider and even test out. It's great that everyone is so nice and free with sharing information, tips, tricks, etc. I have already and will continue to share information with you as well.

I have been playing around and making candles for the last 3 years and it has been fun, expensive and at times very disappointing. Many times I have considered throwing everything in the trash and I'm sure many of you have been there too. LOL. But it's like I can't stop; I love the challenge, I love the scents and I love solving problems. My goal is to starting selling them as soon as I have a safe and enjoyable product that I would be proud of.

Happy Candle Making!

Laura C

Welcome to you Laura😀

On 8/21/2018 at 12:51 PM, Laura C said:

Many times I have considered throwing everything in the trash

The very first candle I ever made took some flying lessons (oh how I wish I was not exaggerating!!) I was so frustrated, disappointed and yes, angry, that I threw that sucker across the room! Thank god for my husband and his infinite wisdom and calming ways. If it weren't for him I never would have continued. My second candle was not much better, but it didn't go sailing across the room at least. :)  

That was 20+ years ago, and now I try not to get frustrated and disappointed, and now never get angry. And still love it after all this time. :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

The very first candle I ever made took some flying lessons (oh how I wish I was not exaggerating!!) I was so frustrated, disappointed and yes, angry, that I threw that sucker across the room! Thank god for my husband and his infinite wisdom and calming ways. If it weren't for him I never would have continued. My second candle was not much better, but it didn't go sailing across the room at least. :)

That was 20+ years ago, and now I try not to get frustrated and disappointed, and now never get angry. And still love it after all this time. :)

LOL, that's a cute story. Candle making does get addictive and I have lots of fun mixing scents. 

Welcome, Laura! Yep, I made candles some years ago, and I did give it up for several years...mostly due to just being too busy with my work to continue to make them. I am enjoying making them again simply because I have the TIME to do so...well, for the last few months, anyway. I've learned so much here, and all the people have been friendly, helpful and kind, I am truly grateful for their expertise. Glad you joined the forum, have fun, relax and learn. 

• Like 1