Issues with GB444 or 464??

UGH I have had no issues until this spring, with a full pallet load of wax... 😭.  Any recommendations on a similar wax to switch to?  I'm thinking about trying the Midwest Container Wax that comes in a pellet form.. I guess I might have to temporarily close my business to reformulate  

415 is ruined and 444 is ridiculous to work with - that wax craters and cracks like none I’ve ever seen 

I have used everything possible to add to it and it just doesn’t work - great ht with 444 but those cracks and sink holes are not something I will put out for purchase and you have to look real hard to see them a lot of the time 

415 lost its throw imo- I switched wicks wicked down added different additives and it’s just not the same - I could get by using it still wicking down but I’m not satisfied with it at all in comparison to what it used to be 

464 I can’t help you there I personally dislike that wax and haven’t touched it in many years before the problems but it’s GB so I think it’s safe to say it’s not the same anymore either 

look up all the threads on this....you will see what a nightmare it has become 

FYI....Midwest is a okay soy - I found it needs an insane cure time and that stuff is rock hard making wicking a little challenging but I did see more consistency in that wax as opposed to GB

• Like 1

I have some Midwest soy in the classifieds. It is one of the ugliest waxes, IMO. And it burns pretty fast for a soy. The millennium wax was easier, and prettier. Not sure what they blend into it... 

Allowing the gb flakes to cure a bit before using seemed to help a little. GB waxes moved manufacturing to a very humid area (from what I’ve researched). At one time the hydrogenators  were injecting water into the waxes. Word is that problem was remedied. My new cases felt damp. Like moonshine wrote, newly made candles sitting on the curing shelf would crack in two over a few weeks time. 😡.  Some I’d poke and fill cavities only to see more cavities develop in the second pour. 😡😡😡

464 I tried for maybe a month. It melts way too easily to get a decent wick that will actually throw fragrance. I can never smell HT any candle made with 464. 

415 worked kind of ok in 2016 with help from universal soy additive. 2017 it became more similar to 464. It melts too easily to allow for a decent wick, and USA did not help one bit. 

After a while sitting open in my warehousing area the 444 seemed to improve some, but man the cavities in candles made with that wax! Super dangerous when it flares, then annoying when it snuffs out when it hits the bottom of the cavity. 

I went back to a base of C3 and am happier. It’s not perfect, but easier to deal with than 444. C3 benefits from sitting open for a while too.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2018 at 3:33 AM, GoldieMN said:

I had the problems with 464 in 2016, wicked down, and was able to get a decent hot throw from all but a couple of my regular fragrance oils.  With my last order of wax, I'm struggling again with little hot throw.   

GoldieMN

I've been adding 1 t. per pound of stearic acid with that wax and it's been coming out nicely.

• Like 1