What would you do?

kandlekrazy

Next year will be my time to completely phase out of this business.  I'm torn between just using up my current stock and selling off any supplies left OR finding someone to train and take over my candle business.  On one hand I'm done now in my head and on the other hand I don't want to disappoint my long time customers. 

I could give them a few months notice or have a seamless transition into a new person.  New person would involve lots of my time and the only reason I'm hesitant. I would have to make time!  It's hard to find someone in my area already doing this, there are tons of soap makers now but nobody doing melts & candles.

• Like 1

Ahhhh, that's too bad KK and knowing you are the only one doing candles?   Are you just tired of it.  If it is too personal a question, don't feel like you have to answer.   Are you wanting to still supply candles or just get out of the entire thing

Trappeur

That is a tough question.  I am the 3rd owner of the business I have. The business included a couple wholesale accounts, equipment and recipes, label templates etc.  She showed me how to make a batch of candles and then I was pretty much on my own.  I basically bought the name and reputation of this candle biz.     So I would not say I was "trained" by the previous owner.  I knew nothing about making candles before I bought.  (I am so grateful I found this site...I learned so much).  Anywho what I am saying is that if you decide to sell you don't HAVE to invest time...if you find a motivated self starter buyer.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Ahhhh, that's too bad KK and knowing you are the only one doing candles?   Are you just tired of it.  If it is too personal a question, don't feel like you have to answer.   Are you wanting to still supply candles or just get out of the entire thing

Trappeur

I'll probably always do some for myself but want to get out of the bigger production and supplying my 2 stores.  It's in my blood so I have to play with wax or soap!  Yes I intend to keep supplying to my customers.

Edited by kandlekrazy

6 hours ago, franu61 said:

That is a tough question.  I am the 3rd owner of the business I have. The business included a couple wholesale accounts, equipment and recipes, label templates etc.  She showed me how to make a batch of candles and then I was pretty much on my own.  I basically bought the name and reputation of this candle biz.     So I would not say I was "trained" by the previous owner.  I knew nothing about making candles before I bought.  (I am so grateful I found this site...I learned so much).  Anywho what I am saying is that if you decide to sell you don't HAVE to invest time...if you find a motivated self starter buyer.  

Thanks and I get that but would not trust the reputation to be kept up if I didn't invest the time to train someone.  Not everyone takes candle making seriously and I wouldn't want to carry a dangerous candle in my stores.  You did your due diligence and took the time to learn but not everyone would do that.  I mostly sell melts so maybe I just train for those, it's way easier to test!

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

Thanks and I get that but would not trust the reputation to be kept up if I didn't invest the time to train someone.  Not everyone takes candle making seriously and I wouldn't want to carry a dangerous candle in my stores.  You did your due diligence and took the time to learn but not everyone would do that.  I mostly sell melts so maybe I just train for those, it's way easier to test!

If you mainly do melts i don't think it would be to time consuming to train someone to do them.  Tho you have to consider will that person only make melts or would they then try to make candles and sell those under the same name.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ncraiders said:

If you mainly do melts i don't think it would be to time consuming to train someone to do them.  Tho you have to consider will that person only make melts or would they then try to make candles and sell those under the same name.

Yes, but I don't have to carry their candles in my stores.  I'm not "selling" my candle company, just supplies so they would have to start their own business and go from there.  I could opt to just not sell in my stores at all but I feel bad for the people that come once a year specifically for melts/candles and being retail I have no way to contact them. 

• Like 1