McCalls Smores

Daisymay66

Me too Daisy...Been waiting far too long.

I have decided to try and get this duped.   Flaming doesn't do that, but I heard Fragrance Buddy does.   I have no idea what I have to give them to dupe, how much it costs, how much have to buy, etc.   Maybe someone here can advise.   Do they need the oil to dupe or can I give them a sample of the wax?

Trappeur

• Like 2

When having a fragrance duped, it’s best to send in a sample of the actual fragrance. My lab needs one full ounce. 

The fragrance goes into a gas spectrometer, which atomizes the fragrance, and reads the fumes in the chamber. Then they recreate the elements of the fragrance gasses in a fragrance “oil” with carrier.

If sending in a wax sample, you’d get the wax notes in the finished product. Plus. The fragrance would be pretty diluted since the concentrated fragrance elements will be at a smaller ratio to the wax. 

• Like 1

So have you tried the S'mores from Indigo, Flaming & Candlewic?  I'm sure there are others as well.  I can't remember now what McCalls smells like.

Also, RE has a blending thing on their site and I'm pretty sure I used theirs to make my own. 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

When having a fragrance duped, it’s best to send in a sample of the actual fragrance. My lab needs one full ounce. 

The fragrance goes into a gas spectrometer, which atomizes the fragrance, and reads the fumes in the chamber. Then they recreate the elements of the fragrance gasses in a fragrance “oil” with carrier.

So a person could send them an ounce from their reed diffuser bottles?  Then you need to see if what is duped will even work with your wax I guess.

GoldieMN

14 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

So a person could send them an ounce from their reed diffuser bottles?  Then you need to see if what is duped will even work with your wax I guess.

GoldieMN

Technically, yes, but then you’re again stuck with notes from whatever base they use in the reed diffuser. And it would be diluted. 

Its easier to work with a fragrance lab to find something close to  what you’re looking for already if you do not ave the original fo concentrate to work with. Any fragrance House would already have numerous “s’mores” blends to pick from.

26 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

GoldieMN

Bingo!   You were reading my mind exactly Goldie....I was thinking the exact same thing as that would be closer to the oil....that's what I'm thinking!

Trappeur

16 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Technically, yes, but then you’re again stuck with notes from whatever base they use in the reed diffuser. And it would be diluted. 

Its easier to work with a fragrance lab to find something close to  what you’re looking for already if you do not ave the original fo concentrate to work with. Any fragrance House would already have numerous “s’mores” blends to pick from.

Well, we don't want close....we want exact! ha ha ha....Believe me I have tried every company out there and nothing is close.   Even RE  "Toasted Marshmallow" which has been at the top of their list for years and still is and everyone just loving that scent isn't like what McCalls is...I order RE once in a while just because it sells...but it's not a top seller for me.    The closest that I have come to and sniffing right out of the bottle Oregon Trails I swear had the "exact" scent...or so I thought till I put in wax and didn't throw.   I think I will try again with them and maybe let it cure much longer...maybe add more percentage oil.   

Trappeur

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Since you do this all the time TT with your duping, could you do this for us with your lab?  How much would we have to order?   And how much would it cost?

Trappeur

It takes months with my place, and they are demanding more and more per Dupe. They minimally require 25 lbs pr order with that figure rising with each Dupe. In the end they want $1500 in guaranteed sales before taking on a new Dupe. I’m not sending any more to them for myself. Give fragrance buddy a holler and see what they can do. 

For smores, I’m blending ng graham cracker, tfc campfire marshmallow, and wsp chocolate mousse with a touch of either sc wood smoke or tfc campfire. 

• Like 1

Save on Scents has a custom fragrance service including the spectrometer thing.  They have detailed process summary on their website.  It looks like the service itself ranges from 175-200.  1lb required purchase or 10lb for exclusivity.  

I don't have experience with their custom services,  but I like many of their unique/specific note/designer FO's.  

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Did you see a new fragrance that just came out at Aztec called Marshmallow Fireside?

Trappeur

Lol I see your already on this one Trapp .I sent you a post earlier letting you know about this one . 

I thought of you the minute I received the email. I am definitely getting a pound of MF ,as I love the original from BBW . I know most of Aztec dupes are spot on to the original bbw scents . The McCalls one sounds wonderful .

I hope FB will dupe this one 😉

It's been awhile since I've smelled that one, but I do remember it was yummy !
I would just get the oils and blend your own, instead of waiting for someone to possibly dupe. Especially if it's going to require a minimum purchase of that particular oil.
Maybe 40 %  toasted marshmallow,40 % graham cracker ,20 % of a H*****y type chocolate scent as a starting point, then adjust from there.
 You may even like your own blend better than the original !

• Like 2