Reformulated EcoSoya Pillar Blend

Hi all! I did a search looking for recent reviews of the formulated PB but I wasn't able to find anything. Has anyone tried this? Is it any good? I do both votives and tarts and haven't used anything since the old PB. Anyone have any luck with this or know of a good alternative?

Thanks

There are a few reviews of the reformulated blend here. Mostly not good. I bought a 10lb bag to try for melts bc I loved the original. I was not impressed although I did limited testing. It "holds" a higher percentage of fragrance oil but sadly it seems to need the higher load to get the old throw. Not very cost effecient, especially since the wax price itself is so high.

Edited by Sebleo
Typo
  • Like 1

@FB157, I was really disappointed too because I had worked with the old pb for years wanting to start a business but had to stop. When I started back up and did final rounds of testing and excitedly went to order cases of it to start my business I found out it was no longer being made! Talk about a kick to the stomach!

I've been working with palm and it seems a lot of people are switching to it with all the soy issues. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeahRB said:

Have you checked out Aztec's ecosoya pb? It states that ecosoya tells them it's the original pb formula.  

https://www.candlemaking.com/ecosoya-pb-pillar-blend-soy-wax-45lb-case.html

I tested this with really good results. I'm not sure it is exactly the same, but it's pretty close. I've only tested a couple of scents so far. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 11:03 AM, LeahRB said:

Have you checked out Aztec's ecosoya pb? It states that ecosoya tells them it's the original pb formula.  

https://www.candlemaking.com/ecosoya-pb-pillar-blend-soy-wax-45lb-case.html

On 8/11/2018 at 3:33 PM, LanaH said:

I tested this with really good results. I'm not sure it is exactly the same, but it's pretty close. I've only tested a couple of scents so far. 

I'm thinking about ordering a 5lb bag of the Ecosoya PB to satisfy my curiosity. The more recent reviews on Aztec are really good and LanaH seems to like it. Plus it looks like it's flakes and a single pour wax, I certainly like that. @LanaH and @Sebleo, is this in flake form and is it a single pour? I'd like to avoid rock hard slabs of wax, sink holes and a 2nd pour.

10 minutes ago, Laura C said:

I'm thinking about ordering a 5lb bag of the Ecosoya PB to satisfy my curiosity. The more recent reviews on Aztec are really good and LanaH seems to like it. Plus it looks like it's flakes and a single pour wax, I certainly like that. @LanaH and @Sebleo, is this in flake form and is it a single pour? I'd like to avoid rock hard slabs of wax, sink holes and a 2nd pour.

It's in pellets and yes it is a single pour. Very easy to work with.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LanaH said:

It's in pellets and yes it is a single pour. Very easy to work with.

Oh awesome, I'm definitely going to try it then. I'll be ordering it today ASAP. I'm so glad you were on here and responded so quickly, thank you so much. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Aztec is where I got my 50lb of PB. It's good!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Laura C said:

Thanks for the response @aptommo, glad to know it's been working good for you. And Aztec in TN is good for me since I'm in Florida, shipping isn't too bad.

Their shipping prices for me was the deal sealer for purchasing from them. I had previously bought most of my wax from CS.

8 hours ago, Laura C said:

I did it, I ordered the Ecosoya PB pillar blend. Can't wait to test it and see if I can avoid doing a 2nd pour and achieve great c&h scent throw with my melts.

1 hour ago, Laura C said:

I did it, I ordered the Ecosoya PB pillar blend. Can't wait to test it and see if I can avoid doing a 2nd pour and achieve great c&h scent throw with my melts.

I can tell you with the PB the only time I have to do a 2nd pour is when it's my error. If I don't fill the molds far enough sometimes I'll get a hole form or a dip that I have to go back over with the heat gun and a bit more wax but even that is rare now. Good luck!!!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, aptommo said:

I can tell you with the PB the only time I have to do a 2nd pour is when it's my error. If I don't fill the molds far enough sometimes I'll get a hole form or a dip that I have to go back over with the heat gun and a bit more wax but even that is rare now. Good luck!!!

I will keep that in mind, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 8:07 PM, Laura C said:

Sorry I wasn’t able to respond; I’ve been on vacation. I hope you love the PB!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sebleo said:

Sorry I wasn’t able to respond; I’ve been on vacation. I hope you love the PB!

Hi @sebleo, no problem. My PB wax has arrived but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Thanks for letting me know that you like it too.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got around to making some clam shell melts with EcoSoya PB Pillar Blend Soy Wax and I'm liking it so far. I'm now waiting for them to cure several days before testing them in the warmers.

- I did one with only FO and poured at 150. The wax is ivory so I can't see any frosting if it's there and it only had a very slight sinkhole in the middle of the mold, not enough to do a 2nd pour.

- The other one had FO and dye block and poured at 140 which was too cool for me because the wax in the corners of the mold are a little puffy and rounded. It had just a few small spots with some faint frosting and also had the slight sinkhole in the center. Regardless, it looks fine to me.

- The cold throw is really good so far with both of them and they both have 8% FO using My Dear Watson from The Candle Makers Store.

- Both were heated to around 200 and FO added at 190.

I've noticed they feel gritty when I lightly run my hand across them. It can't be the dye block since the one w/o dye feels the same way. I don't think they cooled too slow because I had the A/C blowing in the kitchen and I could feel the draft over the clam shells. I was afraid they were going to cool too fast and crack or something. So I'm wondering if it is the FO, the FO % or just a trait of the EcoSoya PB wax?

Has anybody else experienced gritty melts with this wax?

I haven't gotten any grit but I do things a bit different than you do. I use many different FO suppliers so I'm sure it doesn't matter on that but I melt to 200 then add color at about 190 then the FO at about 185 and I go by recommended 6% - so 1oz for 1lb of wax. I pour at just under 160. I do at times get ever so slight dips in the center but not holes. No frosting unless I pour hotter than that and no grit in clamshells or silicone molds. 

Edited by aptommo
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, aptommo said:

One thought, you're using block dyes? Maybe that's our biggest difference. I use all liquids. 

Yes, in the one clam shell I used a dye block. I read on here some where that dye blocks should be heated to at least like 185-190 in order to melt properly and I did add dye at 190. But I didn't use any dye in the other clam shell and it's just as gritty. I only notice or see the fine grit when I gently run my fingers across the melts. I had even cleaned the clam shells too. In my next batch I'm going to try only 6% FO, like you, and see what happens. And you are right, overall it is a nice wax and is easy to work with.

Edited by Laura C

3 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Yes, in the one clam shell I used a dye block. I read on here some where that dye blocks should be heated to at least like 185-190 in order to melt properly and I did add dye at 190. But I didn't use any dye in the other clam shell and it's just as gritty. I only notice or see the fine grit when I gently run my fingers across the melts. I had even cleaned the clam shells too. In my next batch I'm going to try only 6% FO, like you, and see what happens.

I'm honestly not thinking it's the difference in the amount of FO. I'm sure I've added a bit more at times on lighter scents and still haven't experienced the grit. I really don't understand what it could be. Maybe someone else will weigh in with some thoughts.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, aptommo said:

I'm honestly not thinking it's the difference in the amount of FO. I'm sure I've added a bit more at times on lighter scents and still haven't experienced the grit. I really don't understand what it could be. Maybe someone else will weigh in with some thoughts.

I know, I don't get it. If it's not one thing it's another. LOL :lol:

32 minutes ago, aptommo said:

One thought, you're using block dyes? Maybe that's our biggest difference. I use all liquids. 

If you don't mind me asking, which liquid dyes do you use and do they have a strong terrible odor?

I ordered some liquid dyes from Aztec and made a few melts with them but I can't stand the smell of the dye while I'm using it. It's horrible and like mothballs, it's really strong and repugnant. I did use a mask but I think I will get a better one, LOL.

Someone on here said the EVO liquid dyes from Candle Wic are odorless or have very little odor. I hope I'm repeating this correctly. I may order some of those and try them but honestly I make a mess with liquid dyes. :blink: