What do you think of this meeting?

Trappeur

On 8/1/2018 at 7:19 AM, Shari said:

I say go with your gut and trust it.  It's generally right.   I think they did many things very uncouth like and would be seriously concerned.

As I said earlier, to ask those questions was very rude on their part. But the questions they asked were useless and stupid. "How much fragrance oil do you put in your candles?" That is such a general question that it tells me they have no idea what they're doing. Most of their other questions were of that type. As far as the factory tour at Trapp's, what could they learn from that? They wouldn't even know what any of it was. They might recognize a pouring pot!:huh:

I've been going to barber shops for over 50 years. I've watched how they cut hair. I STILL haven't learned to be a barber!  I could take tour after tour of Chevrolet factories, but would that make me into an automobile manufacturer? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@Trappeur
I read through this entire thread late last night and oh my goodness girl 😦
I just wanted you to know how sorry I am that someone would do something like this to you . I don't know you as well as some of the others do on this board, but I can tell that you are a very hard working, helpful and genuine person with lots of integrity.
It really sucks as a small business owner to have someone get you pumped up with what appears to be a promising venture, only to find out that they really didn't have good intentions from the get go.
I agree with the others about karma, it's going to bite them in the a$$ sooner or later. I'm sure that this isn't their first shady deal and probably not their last, that is, until they get sued.

I had a somewhat similar experience several years ago, with a primitive art designer . I had been filling their specialty crocks for their trade shows. After a few orders, they set up another meeting with me to "discuss" some new ideas...as you can guess, that "meeting" was basically them hoping that I would hand over the keys to my kingdom of candle making information.
They wanted a list of my suppliers, wax, wicks, my process ,the whole shebang ! 
I politely told them that if I discussed the details, I would have to kill them 😄

Then I gave them my usual "I'm not telling you crap" run around spiel , e.g.- I have each of my scents custom made for my company , only I have the codes for those scents (lie) , I order my wax, wicks and dyes from the source, not a candle supplier (lie), you get the drift 😉
There was NO WAY in hell I was going to step off of my hard work for them to skip merrily away with 😡
Their grand plan was for me to send my work over to China to have it mass - produced cheaply under a partnership with their company, and all I had to do was wait for the royalty checks to come in the mail....
Needless to say, I declined the offer and we parted ways... they did find someone else to take them up on their offer, but it failed miserably within a year...quantity vs. quality isn't always a great thing.
Just chalk this one up as a life lesson, not a life sentence .
Blessings to you ❤️

Edited by chevcher
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 3:03 PM, Jcandleattic said:

I would have simply told them that the information they were requesting was proprietary information and you were not willing or at liberty to discuss, then I would have said, thank you, have a nice day. 

End. of. discussion. 

Exactly. It's none of their business to know your business.