Nature Wax C-6

Jenni Wix

I've been interested in blending coconut and soy, and have followed many informative posts here regarding this subject.  I was getting ready to order more soy and try coconut 2, until I saw NatureWax C-6 available at US Candle Supply.  I could swear I read this wax was mentioned as not available in the States. I searched for NatureWax C-6 posts , Anyway, I couldn't find that post.  If I'm not mistaken, C-6 is a soy coconut blend that might be a good alternative to having to blend the other coconut wax.  The sample is expensive in terms of shipping, but maybe worth it,   I want to test eco and premiere wicks, and see how that goes.  If anyone has experience with this wax, I'd be interested in your thoughts.  I hope it becomes more widely available, so I figure if more people know about it, there might become more supply per demand.  

I tested c6 for a while. It comes in a slab form. It makes lovely looking candle. CT and ht was good, but nightmare to wick. Mushroomed a lot. In UK many candle makers have tested it and many use it and love it. 

• Like 1

Thanks, @Dina I appreciate the info. Coconut sounds like it mushrooms by default.  Looks like I have some serious wick testing in my future. I want to try eco and premier first.  My soy coconut mix testers came out ok melt pool wise with eco, but were plain ugly (thanks 444) and hot throw wasn't impressive.  So of those two things can improve without smoke, I'll be happy.  

I haven't used it but I know a few that have.  They love how it performs and how smooth the tops are, they even said better glass adhesion, idk about that, lol.  Anyway, I tend to agree with you if the only issue is a small mushroom I'd be super happy and I'm sure there is a wick for this wax.  I think you just may be starting with the best wicks for this.  I was waiting patiently for my supplier to carry this wax but doesn't look like it will be soon enough for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered and am presently testing out this wax.  It's quite soft.  May house is running @ 74 F currently and the slab is easily cut with a butter knife, leaving wax behind.  It's nice and white, there's an extremely subtle sweet scent, I don't think would cause problems at all. Will report more soon.  :)

• Like 1

I heated the wax to 190 and poured at apx 130.  Made a couple of candles w/o FO.  So far the tops aren't perfectly smooth but no where near as bad as what I've been experiencing with other wax.  This may be due to my pouring temp or cooling, etc.  I'll probably post burn results after they set up tomorrow.  

On 7/29/2018 at 12:49 PM, Jenni Wix said:

The sample is expensive in terms of shipping...

No kidding.  I put a sample in my cart and calculated shipping.  $20+ and I'm in Missouri, only two states away from Indiana.  Shipping was slightly more than twice the cost of the product.  That's nuttier than squirrel turd!  For that price, I expect it to be hand-delivered the same day.  :lol:

Thanks for keeping us posted.  The adventurer in me likes to try new waxes.  :D

• Haha 1

From what I'm hearing all the slab coconut blends are super easy to cut with a knife (plus in my book, I like flake for the ease of use).  I did have to heat gun the tops but not much.  Keep us posted anxious to hear about adding scent to it and burning!

Here's the description ( pic of 4oz jar @ 30 min.  ). Can't figure out how to do a video, but that's ok.  

4 ounce glass jar 2 inch diameter opening

Eco Wick 1

No FO

Melt pool apx 1" @ 30 min

full at 3 hour mark with significant hang up on side of Jar 1/4" in deep.

Heated to 190 ish Poured smoothly at 140 ish with minimal stirring.  Soft white, slightly shiny. No bumps or wet spots etc.  No soot or smokes, perfect flame, little mushroom.

8 oz glass jar

Small 2ply Wood Wick.

Melt pool has remained about the same width from half hour after beginning the burn to 2 1/2 hours.

Meltpool diameter apx 1 3/4"

Melt pool depth  1/4 inch.

There were no wet spots or sinkholes however, there was some cracking around the wood wick in the wax as it cooled as well as a little bumpiness on top, and a few air bubbles. This may be due to user error. The finish settled quite a bit with a few blasts of the heat gun.  No soot, or noticeable smoke, only a slight woodsmoke fragrance from the wick.

I'll try a medium woodwick in this jar or an Eco 6 soon. ( I tried the small woodwick in the 8 oz jar because I hadn't tried wood wicks yet, and I was worried it would burn too hot with a coconut blend.  Better safe than sorry.) In the smaller jar I will try the small woodwick or an echo 2 with FO.  

The sample was expensive in terms of shipping however the cost of a larger slab, including the slightly expensive shipping seems pretty reasonable to me, *if it performs well.  I like it so far.  

IMG_20180816_083001.jpg

• Like 1

This was the 4 oz @ 3 hours.  When it cooled you could tell it had buned a full melt pool but clung to the sides. 

Also, after cooling both are looking a little bumpy.  I should expect it with soy but I'm kind of disappointed.  Not throwing in the towel, just curious if I can get it to set up better.  

2018-08-16-15-03-08.png

IDK doesn't look too bad after cooling but maybe when it reaches a full melt pool it will cool smoother.  With a different coconut wax that I used it sets nicely.  Probably need a slightly bigger wick.  I've never tried wood wicks with a coconut wax so that's an interesting experiment to me. 

• Like 1

It wasn't super bad, just not as smooth as I expected. A little bubbley.  Yeah definitely bigger wicks 😄.  The Eco 1/ 4oz was just about perfect, but would be too small with EO.  I decided not to use the wood wicks at all because I personally don't care for the slight smokey scent it gave.

Edited by Jenni Wix
Grammar

13 hours ago, Jenni Wix said:

@Dina The manufacturer recommend max percentage of FO is 6%.  With additives 8-10%.  

I used 5-6%  but they're still curing. My wicks behaved pretty well w/o FO, slight mushroom aside.  But that may change.  

I might give it another go with 6% fo. Ct and ht was good, adhesion fab. 

• Like 1

I decided to give the small woodwick a go in the four ounce jar.

1 The smooth top was achieved with a few touch-ups with the heat gun. Can still see a little bubble.

2 The woodwick emitted an ochre hue when lit .

3 - 4 after a few hours, the melt pool is 3/8 of an inch deep and there is hang up on only one side which I figure is because the wick is ever so slightly off-center. For the first hour, the hang-up was all the way around, a millimeter or two.  It looks like there's no flame but they're actually is a small, steady one. The flash must have drowned it out with light.  Top is smooth after cooling.

Between the woodwick and fragrance: in this case 3% of pumpkin pecan waffle (wsp), the wax is ivory and the pool is a bit yellow.  

It's only cured for about 5 days and the percentage was rather low, so the throw is pretty mild. I just couldn't wait to burn one. The SO likes the woodwick, so there you go. An 8 oz with medium wood wick, and a few others will be tested as soon as they're cured.  

IMG_20180821_173650.jpg

IMG_20180821_173839.jpg

IMG_20180823_122924.jpg

IMG_20180823_122917.jpg

Edited by Jenni Wix
Grammar

*8oz straight-sided jar, 2.5" diameter.

*Woodwick, medium

*approximately 6% (12 ml) FO of my own blend. Cure time apx 1 week. 

*Wick cut to apx 1/4"

1 surface is quite smooth after a few touch ups with the heat gun, great cold throw.

2 First lit. 

3 After 30 min burn time.  Bubbles gather and make the melt pool uneven.  No flares noticed. Hot throw mild.

4 Full melt pool after apx 2hrs burn time.  Hot throw significantly stronger (medium)  in 14*14 room. (Blend includes EO) About 1 mm hang up on edge of glass, melt pool between 1/4 to 3/8 inch deep.

IMG_20180824_103212.jpg

IMG_20180824_103335.jpg

IMG_20180824_110655.jpg

IMG_20180824_130449.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A little update.

I'm having a bit of trouble wicking for this in terms of how it burns during the bottom half, so far I haven't measured glass heat over 170, but I'm watching them and trimming every burn.   There's been hang up.  I've had some fragrances somewhat to completely tunnel, and I excavated some wax to burn them further (for the heck of it).  Others, have been soso in terms of burn.  Pretty good throw in general for every fragrance I tried. Both Eco and Premiere wicks have needed to be trimmed under 1/4 an inch, even with the hang up on one side.  wicks are centered as best I can, but tend to curl.  The first burn with premiere, I noticed mushrooming, but no soot/smoke.  I've noticed with various wicks that it melts/burns quickly, less hours per candle as compared to the 444/CW coco blend I was trying out.  So.  Mixed feelings.  I like the throw.  Its not leaving the glass clean. Idk how important that is.  

Testing was in straight sided glass jars (SSJ) All Fo's used were likely heavier, FPs above 190.

4oz 2" D SSJ Premiere 720 (may be a little under wicked, but still needs a good trimming?)

8oz 2.5" D SSJ Premiere 740 (under wicked? curly hang up on half)

8oz 2.5" D SSJ Eco 8 (Needed to trim the wick down to a stub last half of container, and finally trimmed it too short '~'   over wicked?)

16oz 3" D SSJ Eco 10 (significant hang up on all sides, under wicked) 

I am most concerned about the hours of burn time per candle, and not burning too hot with an average wick length.  May test other wicks, too.