Wick Selection Frustration Syndrome

21 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Thanks Laura. Any soot in that wax with those wicks?

No, as long as I don't over wick and as long as I keep the wicks trimmed. The wicks may need periodic trimming, depending on scent, once or twice within a 3 -3.5 hr. burn. To me that's not a big deal and the least of my worries. For me it seems like lots of wicks require periodic trimming even if they curl.

Would be nice if you could just light a candle and not have to touch it for 3 hrs - 4 hrs but that rarely seems to happen. If you know how to work that magic then please share. :) I figure, if as long as I stay away from bad tunneling, scary tall flames, soot machines and hot jars then I'm probably making an enjoyable and nice burning candle. Do you shoot for the same?

Thanks so much for chatting. I have taught myself a lot over the last 3 yrs. but I know I have a lot more to learn and so glad I found this forum. And then of course, waxes get discontinued or changed.

Edited by Laura C

1 hour ago, Laura C said:

I'll take some mushrooming any day over hot jars or uncontrollable soot.

I've used a lot of the LX wicks. Don't know why. That's just what I started with when I got involved with all this. One of the claims that I've seen sellers make is that the LX helps reduce mushrooming & carbon build up.  I've found just the opposite to be true, at least here at my house. I'm trying to steer clear of them (the LX) when given a choice. 

25 minutes ago, Quentin said:

I've used a lot of the LX wicks. Don't know why. That's just what I started with when I got involved with all this. One of the claims that I've seen sellers make is that the LX helps reduce mushrooming & carbon build up.  I've found just the opposite to be true, at least here at my house. I'm trying to steer clear of them (the LX) when given a choice. 

Same here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laura C said:

As you can tell, I'm new here. Hello my fellow Chandlers. :) The Coconut 83 wax (Accu-Blend MFG & CA Candle Supply supplier) and with or w/o Universal Soy Wax Additive 

Hello Laura!  What  is the impact of the Universal Soy Wax additive on your coco83 candles?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quentin said:

I know what you mean, it can be hit or miss with the LX wicks for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pughaus said:

Hello Laura!  What  is the impact of the Universal Soy Wax additive on your coco83 candles?

Hello pughaus.

Universal Soy Wax additive (USWA) for soy or soy blends has hardened up my candles and it has increased scent throw. Like other additives, you can only use a small amount, no more than 2-3% or you will run into wicking issues. Usually minimum to no jar adhesion issues. There is also a Universal Wax additive that can be used like Vybar but I have not played with it yet. 

https://thecandlemakersstore.com/candle-making/candle-making-additives/universal-soy-wax-additive.html

https://thecandlemakersstore.com/candle-making/candle-making-additives/universal-additive.html

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, pughaus said:

I've wondered how much soy is in coco83.  I had trouble with that wax on its own and never found quite the right additive but universal soy wax additive is one that I never tried.

I bought 5 lbs of it to try in my C3 and in coconut. I can send you some if you want to try a little without committing. It killed throw in all of my tests even at small additions. 

38 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I bought 5 lbs of it to try in my C3 and in coconut. I can send you some if you want to try a little without committing. It killed throw in all of my tests even at small additions. 

Thanks T! But I moved on from coco83 a while ago.  Now I just do my own coco soy blend and it's working for me as-is.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, pughaus said:

I've wondered how much soy is in coco83.  I had trouble with that wax on its own and never found quite the right additive but universal soy wax additive is one that I never tried.

You know, I forgot about something. Sometime during 2016 Accu-Blend Corp. that manufactures Coconut 83 (coco83, C83) changed the wax formula. They denied it but the proof was in the candles I was making. And I'm sure other chandlers must have noticed it too. At one point I had both the original version and the new version and the candles were totally different and I had not changed anything except for open up a new case of wax.

The original version of Coco83 had more soy in it and worked awesome with the Universal Soy Wax Additive and gave amazing C&H scent throw, I have not been able to duplicate it. My candles displayed the typical soy characteristics of somewhat spongy tops after burning and sometimes a little bit of that cauliflower look. Now, with the new post 2016 version of the wax my candles are hard as can be even without any additional additives, the tops are always smooth as silk (fresh or burned), the wax rings in burning candles looks clear (like paraffin or palm or something) and strong C&H scent throw is hit or miss. Don't know why they changed it and don't know why they thought they should still call it the same name, that's very bad busy if you ask me. They should have been honest about it and they should have gave it a new name. I don't like the current version of the coco83 as well now mainly because of unpredictable C&H scent throw, otherwise it makes a very nice candle.

And yes, if you use too much of the additive then the scent throw can be diminished and your candles can be too hard to wick properly. 

19 hours ago, pughaus said:

Per the info I found and per the wax MFG the Coconut 83 wax is 90% coconut wax with a 10% blend of soy and palm waxes. I don't believe it, because as hard as the wax is and as hard & smooth as the candles turn out it has to have a high amount of palm or paraffin or something.

18 hours ago, pughaus said:

Thanks T! But I moved on from coco83 a while ago.  Now I just do my own coco soy blend and it's working for me as-is.

Hi pughaus.

So you are taking 100% coconut wax and 100% soy wax and blending them together? Do you have to use any additives in order to keep them from melting in the heat or to enhance C&H scent throw? I'm thinking about doing that too, as a last resort, cause geez that can be alot of work and testing. LOL. At this point I would like to keep everything simple, repeatable and easy. Good luck with that, right? :P

Pre-blended wax (preferably w/coconut) + scent + wick + container = awesome candle

@Laura C  The tall flames and sooting later in the burn have been an issue for me with every off the shelf coco wax blend out there that I've tried.   IMO the cocos need a lot of extra soy to work- as in 50% soy to coco for best results.  Pick your soy (poison)- I've been using 444 since I got some cheap.  I'm sure there are "better" soys but I've got 10 lbs left and I'm gonna use it ;)  Sinkholes and cracks were routine for me until  theJune heat hit Los Angeles and my candle room ambient temp went up to 79-82 degrees - now it's a 1 pour blend for me.  Haven't had a crack or hole in 2+ months..  I don't sell or ship so I can't attest to the durability of any blends I've tried in shipping and temp variations.  I'm pleased with throw but I don't buy the "coconut wax needs little time to cure" that some suppliers spout- they burn and throw very differently after 3-4 weeks.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, pughaus said:

@Laura C  The tall flames and sooting later in the burn have been an issue for me with every off the shelf coco wax blend out there that I've tried.   IMO the cocos need a lot of extra soy to work- as in 50% soy to coco for best results.  Pick your soy (poison)- I've been using 444 since I got some cheap.  I'm sure there are "better" soys but I've got 10 lbs left and I'm gonna use it ;)  Sinkholes and cracks were routine for me until  theJune heat hit Los Angeles and my candle room ambient temp went up to 79-82 degrees - now it's a 1 pour blend for me.  Haven't had a crack or hole in 2+ months..  I don't sell or ship so I can't attest to the durability of any blends I've tried in shipping and temp variations.  I'm pleased with throw but I don't buy the "coconut wax needs little time to cure" that some suppliers spout- they burn and throw very differently after 3-4 weeks.  

All this stuff is good to know, thanks @pughaus. And I'm glad to know that the soot/black smoke issue with the coconut waxes isn't just me. I thought I was maybe making a big deal out of nothing.

21 minutes ago, Laura C said:

All this stuff is good to know, thanks @pughaus. And I'm glad to know that the soot/black smoke issue with the coconut waxes isn't just me. I thought I was maybe making a big deal out of nothing.

It's not you. It's the coconut wax.  I will even go out on a limb and say, there is no "right wick" out there that will make it less so.  I have tested so many wicks in coconut waxes in the last year- from the common to the obscure only- available- spooled and unprepped in bulk and my conclusion is:coco wax alone burns too easily and soots like hell.  If anyone would like to disprove that with a clean burning off the shelf coconut wax blend or all coco wax candle I will gladly pay freight and test burn their coco wax candle and document the results.  I love the idea of an all or mostly

coconut wax candle but the reality, for me, has been ..not so good.

Edited by pughaus

26 minutes ago, pughaus said:

It's not you. It's the coconut wax.  I will even go out on a limb and say, there is no "right wick" out there that will make it less so.  I have tested so many wicks in coconut waxes in the last year- from the common to the obscure only- available- spooled and unprepped in bulk and my conclusion is:coco wax alone burns too easily and soots like hell.  If anyone would like to disprove that with a clean burning off the shelf coconut wax blend or all coco wax candle I will gladly pay freight and test burn their coco wax candle and document the results.  I love the idea of an all or mostly

coconut wax candle but the reality, for me, has been ..not so good.

You are correct, an actual 100%, all natural Coconut wax candle is not a good thing, IMO. I have tired it in the past and the candles were way too soft unless they have to cure for a very long time. You really need to add additives, hardeners or other waxes to it to make it worth anything. I use to buy the pure coconut wax from Swans Candles in WA and they suggest adding a hardener too.  http://www.swanscandles.com/store/All-Natural-Coconut-Container-Wax.htm

3 hours ago, Laura C said:

You are correct, an actual 100%, all natural Coconut wax candle is not a good thing, IMO. I have tired it in the past and the candles were way too soft unless they have to cure for a very long time. You really need to add additives, hardeners or other waxes to it to make it worth anything. I use to buy the pure coconut wax from Swans Candles in WA and they suggest adding a hardener too.  http://www.swanscandles.com/store/All-Natural-Coconut-Container-Wax.htm

Wow Laura, I was just checking prices and wow is this wax soooooooo very expensive...135.00 for 50 pounds and then 80.00 shippings comes to 215.00 for a 50pound box of wax!   How in the world do you market that?

Trappeur

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Wow Laura, I was just checking prices and wow is this wax soooooooo very expensive...135.00 for 50 pounds and then 80.00 shippings comes to 215.00 for a 50pound box of wax!   How in the world do you market that?

Trappeur

Hi @Trappeur, I know, right? Another reason I stopped using it. It was a beautiful wax. I live in South Florida and shipping from CA is crazy on heavy things like wax and glassware. Currently, I'm a hobby candle maker but would like to create a candle empire one day. LOL 💰. I really admire all of you that are selling your creations and involved in the small business world. It seems fun and exciting and I want to be there one day too. 

You will be there one day...keep dreaming your dream because they really do and can come true!   That's how I did it.

I can tell just how concientious (spelled wrong, I know, lol) you are in this art.

Trappeur:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

You will be there one day...keep dreaming your dream because they really do and can come true!   That's how I did it.

I can tell just how concientious (spelled wrong, I know, lol) you are in this art.

Trappeur:thumbsup:

Thanks @Trappeur

Is it possible that the tall flames at the beginning of the burn are a result of the shape of the container? For example, if the jar or whatever is narrow at the top and gets wider as you go toward the bottom. I actually just finished watching this happen this morning. I was unsure what wick to use when I first poured it because of the strange shape. Heart shaped, narrow and pointed at the top. To make it even harder my candle is 5 inches wide but less than 3 inches the other way. To put it another way, it is flat and wide.

Sure enough, big tall flame at the start of the burn then more "normal" size as it burned down to the wider areas. Perhaps?

23 hours ago, Quentin said:

Is it possible that the tall flames at the beginning of the burn are a result of the shape of the container?

Hi @Quentin, I haven't played around with many different jar shapes so I don't know about that particularly. But, I have noticed that a full, new candle can start out nicely with a taller flame (not extreme) and do great unless it encounters a draft of course. Then as the candle burns down deeper in the jar I have to trim the wicks slightly shorter than before in order to avoid flapping, sooty flames and extra jar heat. But usually (after I have tested different sizes) even the shorter flame will still generate enough heat to form a complete or nearly complete melt pool. It certainly is a juggling act with wicks sizes, thank goodness for the wick sample packs.

And please, if anybody, especially those that have lots of wicking experience, can contribute any helpful information on this then please do. And particularly, if what I'm doing sounds all wrong then please say so. I greatly welcome constructive criticism and advice, that's how I learn. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Laura C said:

Hi @Quentin, I haven't played around with many different jar shapes so I don't know about that particularly. But, I have noticed that a full, new candle can start out nicely with a taller flame (not extreme) and do great unless it encounters a draft of course. Then as the candle burns down deeper in the jar I have to trim the wicks slightly shorter than before in order to avoid flapping, sooty flames and extra jar heat. But usually (after I have tested different sizes) even the shorter flame will still generate enough heat to form a complete or nearly complete melt pool. It certainly is a juggling act with wicks sizes, thank goodness for the wick sample packs.

And please, if anybody, especially those that have lots of wicking experience, can contribute any helpful information on this then please do. And particularly, if what I'm doing sounds all wrong then please say so. I greatly welcome constructive criticism and advice, that's how I learn. Thanks.

Laura, I always wick for the bottom half of the container, as it sounds like you are doing as well. I know that if I have a hot flame and a full MP in the first couple burns, I'm going to be in serious over wicked trouble for the bottom of the jar. 

The only time it bites me in the tush is if there is way too much hangup and the wick drowns as it catches up after the midpoint. It's a balancing act to be sure!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Laura, I always wick for the bottom half of the container, as it sounds like you are doing as well.

Hi @Sarah S. Great, glad to know I'm on the right track. Thanks so much for the response. And wow, when I first got into making candles 3 years ago as a hobby, I had no idea what I was getting into. LOL. It's so much harder than one would expect, at least if you want to make a safe, high quality candle. Sure, anyone can make a candle but it doesn't mean it's going to be good. LOL. 😝

• Like 1