Formula for making soap recipe fit mold

Candybee

I used to have this written down in my recipe spreadsheet so I could figure out the amount of oils needed in a recipe to fit my molds. It was on my old comp that died so its gone.

Does anyone have it and can post it here. I need both the one that works for column/slab molds as well as the one for round molds. Thanks.

I use V*.43= Oils in oz. 

So 12x12X2 mold would be: 288*.43= 123.84 oz. (124 oz.) 

3.5*2.75*12= 115.5*.43= 49.665

Volume for a tube: 
V = π*r2*h*.43 (radius is 1/2 diameter or D*.5) 

SO! 3" x12" column mold: 3*.5= 1.5
1.5*1.5=2.25
2.25*3.1416*12=84.8232 
84.82.32*.43= 36.473976 

HTH!

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services

Edited by Sponiebr

The .43 depends on your water discount... Can be slightly higher or lower, but in the ballpark.

I figured out my standard soap bar size uses 3.6 ounces of oils and double-check for all mold calculations against that. This ensures the same bar thickness and width - all bars come to the same heights in every mold.

• Like 1

I was close. I remembered my formula for column/slab molds was something like L x W x H x 4 = oil wt. It was the 4 that was throwing me. Its .43. Thanks.

Okay I have to have an easier non math symbol formula for round molds. I remember L (length) x radius x radius = oil wt. But isn't something missing?

5 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I was close. I remembered my formula for column/slab molds was something like L x W x H x 4 = oil wt. It was the 4 that was throwing me. Its .43. Thanks.

Okay I have to have an easier non math symbol formula for round molds. I remember L (length) x radius x radius = oil wt. But isn't something missing?

on the  round mold one your non symbol formula looks to be missing the x 0.43 at the end isn't it?

4 hours ago, ncraiders said:

on the  round mold one your non symbol formula looks to be missing the x 0.43 at the end isn't it?

4 hours ago, Candybee said:

You're missing your dessert... 

Here's a serving with some ice cream on top. 

1561735113_pialamode.jpg.b7ffd5c71dbc540908cbd61c558c5e68.jpg

Yes. It's PI a la mode...  

• Haha 3

lol for those that did not understand what that image was getting at it was that for round molds you use this formula to get the weight of oils.  

3.14159* x radius x radius x height x .43= oil wt

Sponiebr was just having a bit of fun telling Candybee the part of the formula they were missing.

• Haha 1