New Ecosoya Advanced container wax

I purchased 45 lbs of the new Ecosoya Advanced container soy wax.  I think the wax is ok but wicking it is driving me nuts.  Does anyone out there have any luck wicking this wax?

I have tried various sizes of HTP, ECO, C SERIES, CD, LX,  HEMP and possible something else I have forgotten to list. The problem is its either too low of a flame or a full melt pool within 30 minutes. No in between. I tested with and without  FO in 2 1/2diameter jars.  Help, I am going nuts.

I made a few Ecosoya Advanced container soy wax (2018 release) 8oz (77mm / 3 inch diameter) test tin candles with a 10% fragrance load and found that after 7.5 weeks curing time, a CDN 14 gives me a perfect size melt pool for my selected fragrance. I do have a wax hang up shell of 2 to 3mm on the side wall of the container that starts to melt on subsequent burns which is how I like to wick my candles. From memory, I found that a HTP 105 was a bit small and a HTP 126 was to big when I burned the candles within a few days of pouring. My guess is that the melt pool diameter might change the longer the candle cures because I usually find that HTP 105 and CDN 14 generate a similar diameter melt pool. The melt pool / wick combination may also change with different fragrance oils. The photo shows the CDN 14 wicked candle after a 7.5 week cure at the second 4 hour burn mark.

Ecosoya CBA Ebony and Peach CDN14 290718.jpg

On 7/29/2018 at 8:13 AM, inthedark said:

I made a few Ecosoya Advanced container soy wax (2018 release) 8oz (77mm / 3 inch diameter) test tin candles with a 10% fragrance load and found that after 7.5 weeks curing time, a CDN 14 gives me a perfect size melt pool for my selected fragrance. I do have a wax hang up shell of 2 to 3mm on the side wall of the container that starts to melt on subsequent burns which is how I like to wick my candles. From memory, I found that a HTP 105 was a bit small and a HTP 126 was to big when I burned the candles within a few days of pouring. My guess is that the melt pool diameter might change the longer the candle cures because I usually find that HTP 105 and CDN 14 generate a similar diameter melt pool. The melt pool / wick combination may also change with different fragrance oils. The photo shows the CDN 14 wicked candle after a 7.5 week cure at the second 4 hour burn mark.

Hi, how do you find ht? I find ht is not great with most oils.For me htp and cd wicks work best with this wax, it needs quite big wick. I'm blending it with other wax right now and like results much better so far. 

Hi Dina, I have only tested two fragrances that I found which used to work with the original CB-Advanced soy wax and so far, the hot scent throw is virtually non existent with both of these fragrances in the new CB-Advanced. This is the same story that I have seen with every wax I have tested in the past 1.5 years (even with 4 to 6 month curing times) with the exception of making soy wax melts, the soy wax melts I have made with the same fragrances which I used with the new CB-Advanced work very well. The biggest difference that I have noticed is that soy wax melts have a melt pool temperature around 78 to 82+ deg C and have a great hot scent throw whereas single wick candle melt pools vary between 68 to 72 deg C and have a pathetic hot scent throw, even if I use pillar/melt blend soy wax as a single wick candle. I did try a HTP 126 wick with one of the fragrances in an 8oz tin using the new CB-Advanced with a 7.5 week cure time and the hot scent throw was non existent. The HTP 126 was way to big for an 8 oz tin.

I didn't use original advanced, but new version has issues for sure. It makes good looking candle and I rarely get mushrooms with it, but that's it, HT is very weak. Apparently its very fussy with fragrances. I'm getting lovely burn with htp105 in 20cl glass, but ht is very weak and that's after one month curing. 

The original Advanced was ok but I found that the hot scent throw was never mind blowing. It could be fussy with fragrances and it usually altered the fragrance a bit by knocking out certain fragrance notes, I found that the new Advanced also alters the fragrance a bit, especially on cold throw. I have also noticed that the CDN wicks are not producing large mushrooms and the candle produces very little soot unless you don’t trim the wick and the CDN wick self trimming doesn’t occur, not that it occurred with the original anyway. I have tried mixing 4630A Parraflex at 7% with it and it does improve the surface finish a bit with oils that don’t play to well with it but doesn’t improve the hot scent throw at such a small percentage. I’m also having cracking issues at the moment because I am in the middle of winter where I live and the room temperature does tend to drop quite low. I have also found that container pull away still occurs at cooler temperatures but Ecosoya did state that the original wax was designed to pull away and I think this will still occur with the new wax, especially at cooler candle storage temperatures. My guess is that this wax may have some potential but will only produce a reasonable hot scent throw with really potent fragrance oils. I did have some fragrance oils that required up to 4 months of curing before any hot scent throw was noticeable with the old Advanced and this may still be the case with the new wax but I’m not sure yet.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

i have been testing this and actually haven’t had any problems so far with fragrances compared to the 210 and 220.  No problem wicking..

Adhesion is an issue for me and having an awful time finding the sweet spot with this wax. Love the smooth tops and after burn but wax definitely contracts a lot! For those of you using in glass pour hot or cool for adhesion?