Mason jar cracked?

I so far in this candle making journey have been using the tins. I tried it mason jars last night and I checked on them this morning to find a small crack in one. It's just very small and didn't go all the way through the wall of the glass. I use 464 soy wax, I poured at about 135. Are there any tips to prevent this? In the picture below as you can tell it just looks like a deep scratch.

20180717_115046.jpg

I always check my canning jars for cracks, etc.....although it is very seldom, I have, yes, come across some at times and I just put them aside and keep for testing jars for myself.   So just check them out every time you get a shipment in.

Trappeur

Pouring at 135 is pretty low. I would not expect that to cause a crack in a canning jar.  Jars can get to 170 or higher while burning.

canning jars get some rough treatment from factory to home. They get banged around enough to form small cracks. Definitely check them all well before using.

It could be a flaw in the glass. The temperature of the wax will not matter as long as the jars are not cold. Real mason jars are designed to be immersed in boiling water but I have broken them when my jars were still cool.

16 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I think that is just a flaw in the glass....

Trappeur

Thinking the same here..... I make palm candles and I pour my wax at 200 degrees F into my jars. I've used canning like mason and salsa jars without problems. But I always check each case of jars I purchase prior to making candles. I've learned the hard way jars can get dirty in factories or arrive broken or cracked during shipping.

22 hours ago, Courtney said:

What temp do you recommend pouring? I've heard so many different opinions on the matter.

Pouring temperature is going to vary for every single one of is. It really depends on your environment as to what will work best. As long as you are getting a smooth surface, I wouldn't change anything. 

5 hours ago, Candybee said:

Thinking the same here..... I make palm candles and I pour my wax at 200 degrees F into my jars. I've used canning like mason and salsa jars without problems. But I always check each case of jars I purchase prior to making candles. I've learned the hard way jars can get dirty in factories or arrive broken or cracked during shipping.

Ya know I get my jars at a grocery store called Save a lot...One time they took me in the back warehouse where all the food is till they put out and they were showing me all the canning jars they had and omg......I just couldn't believe these pallets were stacked with jars I swear 12 feet high....That has to be such stress on those jars of all that weight, especially the ones on the bottom.  How they can withstand all that pressure and not have cracked glass is really something.  But then I guess all glass is stacked like that, right?

Trappeur