What do you think about this packaging?

Well I finally had some time today to finalize the label/packaging for my wax melts and I could use some feedback please.  I like to keep things simple so this label is just that.......I'm hoping that this

will be my FINAL version.....for a while anyway!  Thanks for your help!

IMG_4386.thumb.JPG.0b1479bbb27a2daa0056da4dc3afb026.JPG

• Like 5

It looks nice.  Should the word "net" be added to the weight? 

One thing I wonder about is the placement of "Wimberley Wix" line at the top and the scent name at the bottom.  The company name is already on the tag at the top, so it seems perhaps that the scent name should take top placement on the label ...??? 

25 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

One thing I wonder about is the placement of "Wimberley Wix" line at the top and the scent name at the bottom.  The company name is already on the tag at the top, so it seems perhaps that the scent name should take top placement on the label ...??? 

I think the placement of "Wimberley Wix" is perfect on the label.  Mainly cause the tag will end up being removed or if sold in a store possibly come off before someone buys it.  I feel having a company name at the top is always the best place seeing as when looking at a label the top is where you end up seeing first most of the time.  So it makes it easier for people to recognize who it is putting out the product.

Like everything tho this is just my personal opinion and the reasoning behind it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

Thanks for your feedback.  I actually scanned Etsy to gauge what to include on the label and it's a real crap shoot.......some melts show the net weight but most don't.  Surprisingly many don't even show weight, what type of wax etc....just the company name and the scent name.  :blink:

I think it looks ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!  What a nice job you did @lightmyfire 

I agree with ncraiders that that the top tag will most likely end up coming off so having your name on the actual sticker that is adhered to the package is smart!  

And I also see the concern that @birdcharm had about it saying net oz.  just out of curiosity I went to grab one of my old Scentsy are I've had for 972 years lol and it says 3.2 fl. oz/Net Wt. 2.6 oz.   (74g)

But all in all I think it looks super nice!  And the little tag at the top that says because scent maters, is darling!  And I love the black ribbon.  Great job!  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I'm sorry.....how stupid of me.....that little picture is a nut, right?

lol my poor eyesight thought it was a sunflower.  I didn't actually read the scent name just skimmed the text on the label at first till i saw Trappeur's post.

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Great label!   

My only question is what is that little picture on the label under your name?

Other than that, looks wonderful!

Trappeur

it's a sunflower; I use the same pic on all of the labels for my melts.  

I see you all are night owls lol...Or Very early risers ,right Trapp 😀

Lightmyfire your clam labels look very professional.

Do you sale these wholesale or retail , perhaps both right?

I am just curious & wanted to let you know how Great these look . I also love the name "Wimberley Wax" ,such a upscale name .😉

Love these!!!!

Kat 

9 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Geesh it's 3:30 in the morning!   Are we all early birds or what?

I'm making candles!

Trappeur

I am a night owl Trappeur.  It is rare for me to be in bed before 2 am.  I used to work years ago at both Pizza Hut and Walmart and had the evening shift at both places so i would get home anywhere between 11 pm and 2 am and would stay up for a few hours to wind down from work.  Never really broke that habit at i was no longer working there.

5 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

it's a sunflower; I use the same pic on all of the labels for my melts.  

Yay my eyesight didn't fail me this time.  It sucks to me 31 and have as poor of eyesight as I do.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, birdcharm said:

That's a good question about the word "net". Could you put something like:  Approx. 2.7 oz by wgt.  or  ~2.7 oz. by wgt. ?  Since we can't be as exact as the factories, how DO we label it and be as honest and legitimate as possible? This is something I overlooked but need to know about. What is the right way to do it for not only soap but candles too?  By the way, I like the brand name at the top. That's really what I want them to remember.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quentin said:

That's a good question about the word "net". Could you put something like:  Approx. 2.7 oz by wgt.  or  ~2.7 oz. by wgt. ?  Since we can't be as exact as the factories, how DO we label it and be as honest and legitimate as possible? This is something I overlooked but need to know about. What is the right way to do it for not only soap but candles too?  By the way, I like the brand name at the top. That's really what I want them to remember.

Personally i would use approx 2.7oz.  due to variations in the weight.  It keeps people from getting upset if they find out it was slightly underweight.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

Personally i would use approx 2.7oz.  due to variations in the weight.  It keeps people from getting upset if they find out it was slightly underweight.

holy cow, if people get worked up about net weight I will have to tell them to get a clue :blink:  Ha Ha!!  I did end up changing it to net wt. 2.7 oz.  That seems to be consistent with what I see on Etsy when they even bother to indicate the weight.  Most don't bother.........I won't be selling on Etsy but I use it as a guide and for ideas.  

Speaking of Etsy, have you checked out some of the candles for sale on there?  I saw one that had the wick all the way over to the side of the container and sinkholes over the entire top of the candle.  Made me sad...........*shudder*

• Haha 1

Lovely packaging, for sure! Love the company name. You could also eliminate the top tag, create the same size sticker and place it on the back. It would eliminate the cost of the ribbon, and a lot of time tying the ribbons when you have to make large batches of your melts. Instead of tying ribbons, you could be pouring :)  When I used to ship a gazillion packages a day, I was always looking for ways to cut the time it took to print labels, pack the item, tape it up and get the packages ready to ship. Small things matter when you get to a point where you're doing massive orders.

4 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Lovely packaging, for sure! Love the company name. You could also eliminate the top tag, create the same size sticker and place it on the back. It would eliminate the cost of the ribbon, and a lot of time tying the ribbons when you have to make large batches of your melts. Instead of tying ribbons, you could be pouring :)  When I used to ship a gazillion packages a day, I was always looking for ways to cut the time it took to print labels, pack the item, tape it up and get the packages ready to ship. Small things matter when you get to a point where you're doing massive orders.

I agree with saving time and money for sure!!  I only do that little tag for my specialty market store because they get fancy pants customers who go for those extra touches and they'll pay $6 each for these little babies.  

What did you mean by "creating the same size sticker and placing it on the back"?

1 minute ago, lightmyfire said:
7 minutes ago, Hopie said:

You could also eliminate the top tag, create the same size sticker and place it on the back. 

I think I understand now that I reread your message.  Just type the same message that's on the little tag and print on a little sticker on that back, correct?  I'll search around for some little stickers. That's worth trying!!  I actually just was doing the ribbon then I added the little tag so the ribbon was just there already looking cute.  

I would agree with the upscale market folks, they do want fancy. If you took the hang tag, and made it a sticker just like the front one, then place it on the back, it conveys the same lovely message without having to do the ties. OR, just place that lovely blurb right on the original sticker, thus eliminating the need for the hang tag.

• Thanks 1

I agree to about removing the bow and your lovely little logo that says "Because Scent Matters".  I would put that lovely saying right on the main label.  You could squeeze it in there.  I'm very much into details, details, details and I think it should be on the main label myself.  I love your black bow Lightmyfire as it is a special added touch of a detail but like Hopie said, down the road when you start mass producing these melts, you will wish you didn't have this extra bit of work to do on each melt.  Your time is precious and getting those bows just perfect takes a little extra time that will turn into "lots" of extra time that you could use for pouring instead.  And too, people can be brutal with merchandise.  You will start seeing bows that have been untied as they try to open up the melt to smell it and they never retie these bows the customer.  After a while they will start to look shabby from customers picking them up handling them.   Ask me how I know?   Once your product leaves your hands and goes into a shop you have no control of how they will wind up looking like.  And look at the little money you have saved by not purchasing the ribbon.  Now what I would do is put your caution label on the backside of the main label so when they open up the melt there is the caution label hitting them right in their face.  You could also if you wanted put the net weight on the caution label too so it would free up space on the front main label for your little saying.   That's what I do.

Trappeur

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Now what I would do is put your caution label on the backside of the main label so when they open up the melt there is the caution label hitting them right in their face.  You could also if you wanted put the net weight on the caution label too so it would free up space on the front main label for your little saying.   That's what I'd do           

Thanks for all of your input, as always!!  This is why I ask for opinions on this forum.  I already put a warning label on the inside of the melt, on the back side of the label.  Currently I'm ordering my melt warning labels from CS because they come on a roll (very handy) and for $3.66/100 I think the price is pretty reasonable for a nice warning label.  I like your idea of adding the net wt to that label so I'd need to print my own.  Do you print your own to include this or are you having them printed?  

Replying to the approximate weight comments above. The quick and dirty answer is no. Approximate or ~ is disallowed by fair labeling law. Instead, weigh what your lightest will be, and use that weight, like for soap, candles, etc. 

fluid ounces is inappropriate for melts as well, since a packaged wax melt is not a liquid in its sale form. Listing a guild ounce may be seen as misleading as the number is larger than the net weight of the lower specific gravity wax. 

Weights need to appear on the front panel of the product, not hidden inside. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ncraiders, @Quentin @Trappeur

Heres a handy guide that will answer many many of the questions and comments above:

https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/2017/04/28/1020-1-labeling-guides-weight.pdf

pages 10-11 spell out the solutions to the challenges named above, namely approximate and the location of each piece of info (front panel, etc.) 

Marie Gale is very helpful for soap and cosmetic labeling - which is very similar to candle labeling

https://www.mariegale.com/quick-labeling-faq/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2