An idea I'm thinking about.

I was on Northstar's site just checking things out and happened upon those little oval melt cups and it got me to thinking about another possible thing I could sell.  I always have tons of left over wax at the end of a pouring session and I save always the wax and use for top offs or if I run short when I start making that scent again.   I was wondering if anyone sells these little cups of wax for use as melters as I was pondering that.  The oval cups are 1ounce cups and they come in the clear and black......I love love the black ones.  If I order 100 of them with the shipping to me, the cups would wind out to be my cost of 25cents each.   Does that sound a decent price to get them for?   And also do you do well selling them?   I was thinking these little cups sitting next to melters in a shop they just might be a nice little profitable item to sell.  If you sell them, what do you sell them for?

Thanks.

Trappeur

100 is a good way for a trial run, but if it works out get them from a restaurant supplier they will be way cheaper than .25.  It's been a long time since I stopped using them and way back I charged $1.00 ea so I'm sure $1.25 or even at $1.50 in a store they would sell.  I went to strictly clamshells for regular seasons and I add shaped for holidays.

The 1 oz cups hold 0.75 oz of my beeswax based wax blend . The 2 oz hold 1.5 oz.  the larger were more profitable for me since the little 1 oz looked so tiny people were reluctant to spend much for them. The profit and margin on the tiny size hardly made it worth while after factoring in total costs and labels.  The little ones are essentially single use. The bigger ones can be cut into multiple uses which translated into more value by many.

I get mine from wasserstrom and they come out to less than a nickel a set (cap and bottom). They offer clear only last I checked. I bought a case of each size from them and use the smaller for scent sniffers as a gift In retail packages. Occasionally I’ll bundle a bunch of a similar scent category and offer as a special seasonal buy. 

I used to use the larger portion cups (I think they were 1.5 once but not sure) but I have switched to the 1 ounce.  They do only hold 3/4 ounce but people seem to like that size better.  I got feedback that the larger ones were too big and they had to cut them in half.  With the new size they don't have to do that.

I charge $1.50 for one.  The more they buy the cheaper they get.  If the buy 10 or more they are $1 each. 

I sell a ton of those little buggers.

Webstaurant.com also sells portion cups in different sizes and shapes. Haven't really checked to see if their prices are doable as I don't use them myself. But I always liked looking at them too and daydreaming maybe someday I might try making melts with them.