What would you blend with wood?

Forrest

One of the Crafter’s Choice FOs I got from WSP was Burmese Wood, I’m not sure why but I was shocked when it smelled just like wood. It is a nice wood smell, but I’m not sure I want my house smelling like a lumberyard. I need a good masculine scent and this seems like something I could work with, but I’m just not sure what to blend it with. I tied my standard bergamot and patchouli and that worked well, but I’d like to try some other things.

How about a little pine and bergamot or some tobacco or vanilla and amber, sandalwood or vetiver ...you could make some great woodsy men’s cologne type scents with that one - may have to put it on my bucket list of oils to try next time I order from them 

• Like 3

Whoa! I a.ways need a good, true, wood essence. Will check that one out next time I see a sale coming.

as for what to blend with, it depends on the type of wood. 

Green tea could make it a nice spa scent. 

Jasmine, geranium, Oakmoss, Amber, other woods, water scents.... all pair well with most wood notes. 

• Like 2

Oakmoss, amber, pine, evergreen, tobacco, vanilla, citrus (grapefruit might be nice), other woods, spices (cinnamon, clove, ginger), whiskey/bourbon, and maybe leather.

That wood scent with amber, vanilla, tobacco, and maybe a hint of cassia sounds interesting.

• Like 2

I love this board. Y'all have give me a lot of great ideas that I can start trying tonight. I think I'll start with the Tobacco Leaf & Amber I got in the same order. I didn't love it but it could be just what the Burmese Wood needs.    

• Like 1

I'd combine some herbals with it or berries. Like a sage, rosemary and even some lemongrass come to mind. 

Berries, maybe some of the regular fruity stuff, but if you had a juniper berry, I bet it would be a nice combination. Maybe even something peppery. Either of these might be nice with a bit of a blood orange (just like it better than regular orange).  

Amber and wood I would imagine would be quite nice ... maybe even test out some vetiver with some patchouli. 

Quite possibly some grapefruit might make an interesting combination. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scented said:

I'd combine some herbals with it or berries. Like a sage, rosemary and even some lemongrass come to mind. 

Berries, maybe some of the regular fruity stuff, but if you had a juniper berry, I bet it would be a nice combination. Maybe even something peppery. Either of these might be nice with a bit of a blood orange (just like it better than regular orange).  

Amber and wood I would imagine would be quite nice ... maybe even test out some vetiver with some patchouli. 

Quite possibly some grapefruit might make an interesting combination. 

Thanks, I have a red current I haven't found a use for, and maybe I try a little Rosemary Pepper

Gee, I suggest that you try each and every suggestion made above.........ya just never know until you try a particular blend........and when you burn each and every experimental candle, you'll be in heaven.  For me, I'd be trying some floral scents(lightly) and some sandlewood....but then I'm a sandalwood junky..........anything with a base of sandlewood mixed with fruit, floral, other earthly scents just makes my day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2018 at 9:32 AM, moonshine said:

How about a little pine and bergamot or some tobacco or vanilla and amber, sandalwood or vetiver ...you could make some great woodsy men’s cologne type scents with that one - may have to put it on my bucket list of oils to try next time I order from them 

Who has a good vanilla & Amber ?

On 7/15/2018 at 10:43 PM, Pam W said:

Gee, I suggest that you try each and every suggestion made above.........ya just never know until you try a particular blend........and when you burn each and every experimental candle, you'll be in heaven.  For me, I'd be trying some floral scents(lightly) and some sandlewood....but then I'm a sandalwood junky..........anything with a base of sandlewood mixed with fruit, floral, other earthly scents just makes my day.

Good thing I have a limited supply of FOs and only two ounces of the Burmese Wood FO or I might be doing this 'till Christmas.

• Haha 1

Forrest,  consider what type of scents you are partial to, floral, earthy, fruity, etc, choose one of those to blend with your Wood FO.  Based on ''my nose'', almost anything can be blended with a woodsy scent.

Example:  I absolutely love Jasmine FO but by itself it can be too strong so mixing it with an earthy scent brings it down....when burning a candle with this mixture, the earthy scent is the dominate scent but with a hint of Jasmine.  I also like to blend woodsy scents with fruity fos....but the fruity scents need to be in the background(because of it's sweetness) compared to the woodsy scent being the dominate fragrance.(must come from my hippie days !!)

In the long run, there is absolutely nothing you can do wrong with blending experiments....IMHO.  Any experiments I do whether good or bad, scents my house with amazing scents and gives me ideas on future blends.  

side note:  one FO that I like to experiment with is honeysuckle....when I was a child, outside my bedroom window there was a honeysuckle vine the produced an amazing scent......going back to childhood memories, I might mix the woody fo with honeysuckle.

A good way to test blends is in making melts......that will give you an idea of how that blends works when combined.  Then you can go from there in making pillars/container candles.

Remember........this hobby is an obsession......but a good one, IMHO  :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, Forrest said:

I think my wife might disagree with you.😀

Well, let's not tell her that it is an addiction...that said, it is not an addiction that you need to seek medical help for....lol

And a heck of a lot more fun.  I have so many FOs that I won't even count them but I do use them for various things:  pillar candles, jar candles, lotion, body spray, body scrubs and the most important....fart spray for the bathroom.

Oh and one more:  I make my own carpet deodorizer.....put some baking soda in a jar, add a few drops of FO, let it sit for several day, shaking it often then shake it around on the carpet, let it set for a while, then vacuum.  This is really a nice way to freshen up the car too.

• Like 2

Forrest, you have opened an can of worms here....there are so many scents that can be blended with a woodsy scent......so I challenge you to come up with a scent combo that's off the charts.........fruits, woodys, etc, etc..................what ever you decide, I will blend the recommended scents and let you know what I think after I have burned it............

On 7/24/2018 at 10:09 PM, Pam W said:

Forrest, you have opened an can of worms here....there are so many scents that can be blended with a woodsy scent......so I challenge you to come up with a scent combo that's off the charts.........fruits, woodys, etc, etc..................what ever you decide, I will blend the recommended scents and let you know what I think after I have burned it............

Well so far I have failed miserably, but I've got some new FO on order that may do the trick