Scale that takes a lot but are very precise

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a scale that can hold a lot of weight but are also very precise.

I'm using this

1399881918_ScreenShot2018-07-11at10_53_45.png.dbeaebbb4a25c62d16d1f94c3addfb82.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SVQHWY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For heavier things, like pouring fragrance oils in bigger beakers to use for candle making. It's really good as it goes as precise as 0.1g. The bowl is also great for spills to put things on.

And then I'm using this

93412245_ScreenShot2018-07-11at10_53_49.png.9665067089a3163e0a5ddb2fd71136df.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C3G73U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For super detailed stuff, compiling tester room sprays in small amounts and perfume. It goes as precise as 0.005g

So when I compile room sprays in bigger beakers the first scale isn't precise enough and the second one won't hold enough weight.

Is there any reasonable scales out there that can hold more weight and be as precise as 0.005g that you use or would recommend?

With candles, soap, etc I use a my weigh kd7000 for anything larger what than my pocket gram scale will hold. 

precision to that degree with larger batches won’t make much of a difference for typical applications. Heck more than a gram of fo sticks inside the beaker when you pour it out. 

We have a scale at NASA that can weigh more than you'll ever need to 0.001g. I used to get weighed on it every day. They were doing a test on the system we developed for space station that takes the moisture out of the air, the waste water, and urine and turns it into drinking water. They would weigh us and then we would go inside a mock up of a space station module and walk on a treadmill. They would weigh us again when we were finished so that they knew precisely how much sweat we has lost. There is no better motivation for dieting than to be weighed daily to 0.001g. I suspect that one cost a lot of $. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I won't need it for the candles, nothing needs to be that precise for that.

I add fixatives and such in percentages of 0.5% or 0.1% of the compound so if I want to do compounds for 30 room sprays I'm down to 0.003oz of a certain fixative. A little overspill doesn't do much difference but 0.1g precision isn't enough.

Ideally, I  would be using a mason jar, add fragrance and fixatives and be able to do it and then spin that bottle with a magnetic stirrer as is. Now I have to do it in a smaller glass breaker and then transfer to a bigger mason jar for spinning. I lose a few grams like that but at least the compound sits together then, so it's a few grams overall.

Or I have to do a much bigger compound than I need to do which is unnecessary...

It might just be lab scales like this (can take 500 grams) that would accomplish this, breaks my current budget tho... :) 

https://www.amazon.com/Count-Resolution-Digital-Counting-Button/dp/B006X6XCSM/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1531408295&sr=1-5&keywords=scale+0.005g

But I thought there might be other options out there

Amazon has kitchen scales that will handle 500g down to 0.01g for under $20. The link below is a lab scale that would do the job for $169 if you wanted something better. Sadly now I realize how inadequate my scales are, I must get new scales. 

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Analytical-Electronic-Laboratory-Calibrated/dp/B074Q9QSF4/ref=sr_1_13?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1531416289&sr=1-13&keywords=digital+lab+scale+0.01g

36 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Amazon has kitchen scales that will handle 500g down to 0.01g for under $20. The link below is a lab scale that would do the job for $169 if you wanted something better. Sadly now I realize how inadequate my scales are, I must get new scales. 

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Analytical-Electronic-Laboratory-Calibrated/dp/B074Q9QSF4/ref=sr_1_13?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1531416289&sr=1-13&keywords=digital+lab+scale+0.01g

I realized how bad my scale was too when I did color samples of candles. Just one candle each. When you try to color dye 2-4 ounces of wax the scales are so incorrect by 0.5g that when you do a bigger candle later the coloring is completely off.

I always weigh all my dyes on the precise scale now, otherwise, it isn't accurate at all and final candles turn out too dark or too light.

Thanks for posting the link... I might be having to get something more expensive. Just looking at the reviews on that one I can see "For the "price it's an ok scale. It's not super accurate below 0.1 tho." among the reviews. I guess it's fine for weighing nutrients.

You might just get what you pay for :( 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LittleMissSunshine said:

@Forrest wow you work for NASA?? 😮

Yes, my little picture there is the rocket park where I work. I'm not a rocket scientist, just one of the thousands of engineers it takes to make our projects work. People think you have to be smart to work at NASA, I think you have to be smarter to make candles.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Forrest said:

Yes, my little picture there is the rocket park where I work. I'm not a rocket scientist, just one of the thousands of engineers it takes to make our projects work. People think you have to be smart to work at NASA, I think you have to be smarter to make candles.

Yes, including that you have to have the most patience ever making candles...  Super cool that you work @ NASA!!!! :)

• 3 months later...