Wanting to give chunks a try

Timber

I'm interested in trying to make chunk melts (I think they look so cool & pretty), but I mostly have 6006 & 4630 on hand which would be too soft on their own, right?  However, I have recently received some glass glow & thought I could add a little to either of the above to harden it up a bit, maybe 15-30%?  I realize that wouldn't be enough palm to show any pattern, but just looking to firm up the softer wax. Sound reasonable?  

On 7/8/2018 at 1:15 PM, Timber said:

I'm interested in trying to make chunk melts (I think they look so cool & pretty), but I mostly have 6006 & 4630 on hand which would be too soft on their own, right?  However, I have recently received some glass glow & thought I could add a little to either of the above to harden it up a bit, maybe 15-30%?  I realize that wouldn't be enough palm to show any pattern, but just looking to firm up the softer wax. Sound reasonable?  

I think that would probably work, especially with 6006. Just experiment and see how it goes and have fun!

I mixed glass glow with soy - 415 and it was ugly.....It grew tumors like I never saw before after burn, totally hideous 😂 but it did the job of firming it up!

I am not familiar with 6006 but maybe with the paraffin in it you won’t get that look  and seeing it’s chunk melts and not candles burning with a flame I would for sure give it a try - might be the next best secret....post some pics for us to see and maybe start with 20%....6006 is kind of soft isn’t it?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, made some chunks & this is what I ended up with. 

I used 6006 with 15% glass glow for the chunks & that was still pretty soft.  The overpour is increased to 25% palm which was much firmer although maybe still just a slight bit oily feeling on the surface.  The pink is FC Bourbon Raisin 8%, tan is ICS Apple Strudel at 10% (haven't had much luck with that one, even a little weak oob). Overpour is ICS Vanilla Smoothie at 8%.

Since the chunks were pretty soft, I also decided to try a chunk candle with straight 6006 overpour in Mason with 44z wick.  Overfilled the jar a bit, but fingers crossed it works, haha!

20180717_203038.jpg

20180717_213642.jpg

20180721_121428.jpg

20180721_121502.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Trappeur.  If that candle burns well, I will make more!

Fran, they remind me of Brach's nougat candy my mom used to buy.  I'm shocked no one in my house tried one (or maybe they just won't admit it, lol).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments! HT is a bit lacking for me with both the melts & candle, but the burn is pretty good I think, without a hint of soot so far.  First 2 pics are the end of the first burn & last 2 are what it looks like at the halfway point.  Little bit of hangup but some of that is my son or husband being a little overzealous blowing out the candles.  (I've found more than once a candle that had perfectly clean sides one day have wax all over the place a day or 2 later.)

20180803_194519.jpg

20180804_093007.jpg

20180817_165405.jpg

20180817_165423.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 3:04 PM, Timber said:

Thanks Trappeur.  If that candle burns well, I will make more!

Fran, they remind me of Brach's nougat candy my mom used to buy.  I'm shocked no one in my house tried one (or maybe they just won't admit it, lol).

They do look like those Brachs candy ,I have not seen those candy nuggets around for years lol. If I remember correctly ,they were sold by weight .

I remember these  moons ago ,with many colors .😀