Questions - 464 wax, FO %, curing

Hi everyone! I have been researching and experimenting with GB464 wax for 6+ months and am really enjoying it. I came across craftserver and I am SO glad I did, because there is a lot of great information on here! I have a few questions I was hoping to get some expert opinions on. I would appreciate any advice or thoughts you have. :) 

Regarding fragrance oils: I've read in many places the standard is 1oz of fragrance oil per pound of soy wax, but I've also read to use 1.5oz per pound. Is one better than the other for the GB464 wax? Is the difference noticeable? What do you recommend?

Regarding curing: I've been waiting ~1 day before putting lids on my container candles, and letting them cure for ~2 weeks before testing. I hope I'm doing this right! What I'm not sure about is how do you cure containers that don't have a lid? Do you put anything over top of them?

Looking forward to chatting! 

~Kay

(I'm sorry for the double post, I realized I posted in the wrong section.)

• 2 weeks later...

464 can handle up to 12% FO load, which would be 1.92 oz FO per lb of wax (or most just round to 2 oz).  I use 464 and 12% and not having much luck with my HT at the moment, so I need to start adjusting wicks, pour times, blending with another wax, etc.  

It is suggested to cover your containers.  If it doesn't have a lid, there's dust covers for candles you can buy, or you can basically make your own out of paper/card stock type material.  This will keep the dust (flies, etc) off your tops.

• Thanks 1

Just because it can hold 12% does not make it a great idea to use 12%. Speaking from experience I thought that at the beginning more FO=better candle. Not only is that not true AT ALL, but if you plan on selling these down the road at fairs or markets, using 12% FO load will ruin any profit you may get. It wont ruin all of it, but its just not needed.  Most people here use around 6% FO +/- 1%.  Fragrance oil is the single most expensive cost in making a candle.  At 12%, you are now using 2x the amount actually needed to make a great candle.  If you stay around the 6% target, you not only make a great burning candle but you save money and that will mean more in your pocket.

Also, I use 444 so if you want this information and much more as Trap or TT.  I know they both use 464 and can explain more on your wax. But the above statement holds true for most waxes anyways.  Unless of course you want to market your candles as holding as much fragrance as humanly possible then by all means go ahead.

Best of luck. -Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2018 at 11:01 AM, weisend24 said:

464 can handle up to 12% FO load, which would be 1.92 oz FO per lb of wax (or most just round to 2 oz).  I use 464 and 12% and not having much luck with my HT at the moment, so I need to start adjusting wicks, pour times, blending with another wax, etc.  

It is suggested to cover your containers.  If it doesn't have a lid, there's dust covers for candles you can buy, or you can basically make your own out of paper/card stock type material.  This will keep the dust (flies, etc) off your tops.

You may not be having great luck with your HT because of using 12% FO load. I learned this here years ago when I first started that more does not equal better. You wick may not be able to handle that much FO load and act as if it were drowning. Best bet is to ask TT and she can science the f*** out of that situation for you regarding FO load and no HT. There are many factors besides FO load like container, wick size, cure time, pour temps etc etc. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clear Black said:

OMG!  Clear Black! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:"go and ask TT cause she can "science the f....out of it" ....lol, lol Your killing me here!   I haven't laughed so hard since I don't know when....the poor girl or guy just got here with 1 post and I'm wondering if he/she even knows what your talking about like the rest of us do.   But your right...TT is a rocket scientist and knows her stuff that is for sure.  When she explains things my little pea brain just can't grasp so much of what she says....I swear so I just sit here looking dumbfounded which I am and go click on a thread that is more my speed...That was a great one Clear Black...

Trappeur

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:
7 hours ago, Clear Black said:

OMG!  Clear Black! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:"go and ask TT cause she can "science the f....out of it" ....lol, lol Your killing me here!   I haven't laughed so hard since I don't know when....the poor girl or guy just got here with 1 post and I'm wondering if he/she even knows what your talking about like the rest of us do.   But your right...TT is a rocket scientist and knows her stuff that is for sure.  When she explains things my little pea brain just can't grasp so much of what she says....I swear so I just sit here looking dumbfounded which I am and go click on a thread that is more my speed...That was a great one Clear Black...

Trappeur

HAHA!! It hurts my brain to Trap!