Slime Pillar

MrDan

Here’s an example of the experimenting I’ve been doing: the slime(d) pillar!

2” x 3.5”, using plain old dyed paraffin (no additives).

The pillar itself was just poured like any pillar. The slime was added after by pouring that lovely snotty colored wax at a cooler temp (I didn’t record the temp at the time, but it was right around when a skin started developing on the surface of the wax.

BB3216F0-6DE7-485D-AE5C-9F5292E43D0F.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, ya know there is no limit on what one can create when pouring a candle.............just to keep in mind is if you want to re-create any particular experiment.,  you will need to take notes on what you did........otherwise,  you are screwed but that does not stop you from creating another specimen and moving forward.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:38 PM, Pam W said:

Hey, ya know there is no limit on what one can create when pouring a candle.............just to keep in mind is if you want to re-create any particular experiment.,  you will need to take notes on what you did........otherwise,  you are screwed but that does not stop you from creating another specimen and moving forward.

I’ve been making candles for only a handful of months, but I have a couple of spiral notebooks full of experiments, recipes, tips, tricks, and techniques for just that reason! 

I don’t know if I’ll ever make another “slime” candle, but I’ve got the recipe if I decide to!

On 7/26/2018 at 11:13 AM, Sarah S said:

This one got the thumbs up from my 11 year old son, after I explained that it was SUPPOSED to look like that! 😆

He's been living too long with my own experiments I think. 😂

Very cool Mr Dan!

Thank you, and thank your son for me too!

I thought this kind of slime candle would appeal more to people my age (late 30s, early 40s) since we were the ones raised on Nickelodeon Slime! I’m not talking about that stuff you see all over social media now, but the slime they dumped on your head when you said “I don’t know?” Kids today might like it too, but I think it’s main audience is the “big” kid, like me!

Way back in another life, I made some candles that were similar but there were not referred to as slime pillars.  Once the pillar was pour and cooled some wax was laid around the top edges of the pillar and gently hit with a heat gun, making the wax drip down the side.  I used this method to make some pillars for a restaurant...they could not take the chance of a lit pillar burning out the side and causing a fire hazard(liability ya know) so I made some pillars with a deep inset to hold a votive candle.....that way the candle could be burned without the hazard of blowing out the side during the evening because it was certain that the staff could not spend the time watching the pillars and doing the necessary hugging,etc so the '''forever'' type candles were the answer but with the wax melted and dripped down the sides, it gave the appearance of a real candle burning.

But if you are making the slime pillars for individuals to burn, then just pour the initial candle then lay the different colored wax on top and gently melt with a heat gun to make the wax run down the sides........or you could melt some in a pour pot and GENTLY pour over the finished candle......whatever works best for you......kwim?