Aroma Bead Ornies not working out

cswilson

13 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Actually, I DO have some really little ones.  LOL  Haven't tried those though.

So now I will throw one other thing out there:  I did some calculating, and I believe my 1.5 ounce aroma bead ornaments cost me less than a dollar including beads, oil, bag, label. 

GoldieMN

I have Some really small ones also and i use Them without the hole and sell them for people to put in the bottom of trash cans or gym lockers and they are a big hit! I sell Them for $3 each or 2 for $5!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 11:06 AM, Skk5233 said:

I have Some really small ones also and i use Them without the hole and sell them for people to put in the bottom of trash cans or gym lockers and they are a big hit! I sell Them for $3 each or 2 for $5!

Oh good idea!! I wonder if that would work with the smoke and odor eliminator fragrance oil 🤔

5 minutes ago, Skk5233 said:

I havent Had any issues since i have Switched beads to the PlasticPellets4Fun! They are great! Has anyone else baked any?

I had problems with a couple batches of PlasticPellets4Fun bead ornaments.  They started coming apart when I drilled holes in for hanging.  I noticed that area was softer and beads were flaking off so I put them back in the cutters and baked again.  I sure hope this won't affect the throw!  Now, I have to set my oven at 350 and bake for 13 minutes. 

GoldieMN

18 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

I had problems with a couple batches of PlasticPellets4Fun bead ornaments.  They started coming apart when I drilled holes in for hanging.  I noticed that area was softer and beads were flaking off so I put them back in the cutters and baked again.  I sure hope this won't affect the throw!  Now, I have to set my oven at 350 and bake for 13 minutes. 

GoldieMN

I have not had the issue .I think baking longer will solve the problem. I use a nail in mine also before baking to make the hole for the string . The throw should be fine.These beads are very long lasting ,your throw should be fine.😉

• Like 1

My oven is probably off, but at least now I know what to set it at and how long to bake the ornaments.  I know I have some roofing nails around here although drilling does tell me if the beads are not cooked enough.

My ornaments run in size from about 3" to 4".  Asking others about price, it has been suggested $2.25 to $7.00.  Right now I'm thinking $5 for all shapes/sizes.  Does that sound about right?  I am just selling them around town, no shipping, no online selling.

GoldieMN

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

My oven is probably off, but at least now I know what to set it at and how long to bake the ornaments.  I know I have some roofing nails around here although drilling does tell me if the beads are not cooked enough.

My ornaments run in size from about 3" to 4".  Asking others about price, it has been suggested $2.25 to $7.00.  Right now I'm thinking $5 for all shapes/sizes.  Does that sound about right?  I am just selling them around town, no shipping, no online selling.

GoldieMN

I sell mine for 5 also ,with the exception if 2 very large ones ,I get 7-8 . 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 1:35 PM, Skk5233 said:

I havent Had any issues since i have Switched beads to the PlasticPellets4Fun! They are great! Has anyone else baked any?

Yes aren't these beads Wonderful !I love the pp4f beads & performance is great . Lol I actually get tired of the scent before it loses its scent . Absolutely the best I have ever used ,price is great as well +Free shipping is a added bonus 😀

3 hours ago, cswilson said:

I’m getting ready to bake some tomorrow. What is the best temperature and time to bake them for?

I bake at 375 for 8-12 minutes , depending on the size of the cutters.

I have  some cutters that are larger size ,so these do take a bit longer

I also have started filling my cutters to the very top ,makes the ornies thicker.

I noticed they shrink down quite a bit after cooling ,so I try to make them on the thicker side .

I baked the new beads for the first time and I am so disappointed. It was a major failure..... I was so impressed by how fast the beads soaked up the scent and then I tried to bake them and it was a disaster. I pre-heated my oven to 350 and put the beads in for 8 minutes. The edges were so melted that they were liquid. So I tried again and baked them for 6 minutes and they weren't melted in the middle. I tried it again at 7 minutes and the edges were liquid again. I thought it was my oven to I went and bought an oven thermometer and my oven was a little off by about 3 degrees but nothing else. I tried again, I turned the oven down to 340 for 10 minutes and most of the beads were liquid. I was so frustrated that I turned the oven off and let it cool down to try again. I put my oven on 375 like someone said they did and baked for 5 minuted and all the beads were liquid. I stopped and called pelletts4fun and ask them what I was doing wrong. The guy said the outside of the cookie cutter is getting too hot and melting the beads before the middle can melt and that I needed to turn the oven down and bake them longer. I turned it down to 330 and baked 8 minutes and the middle wasn't melted. The ONLY thing I can think of is that I'm using a metal cookie cutter that is actually painted yellow instead of just the regular metal color. Has anyone had any experiences like this? I'm so frustrated with all this and trying to figure it out that I'm just about ready to quit all together. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by cswilson

4 minutes ago, cswilson said:

I baked the new beads for the first time and I am so disappointed. It was a major failure..... I was so impressed by how fast the beads soaked up the scent and then I tried to bake them and it was a disaster. I pre-heated my oven to 350 and put the beads in for 8 minutes. The edges were so melted that they were liquid. So I tried again and baked them for 6 minutes and they weren't melted in the middle. I tried it again at 7 minutes and the edges were liquid again. I thought it was my oven to I went and bought an oven thermometer and my oven was a little off by about 3 degrees but nothing else. I tried again, I turned the oven down to 340 for 10 minutes and most of the beads were liquid. I was so frustrated that I turned the oven off and let it cool down to try again. I put my oven on 375 like someone said they did and baked for 5 minuted and all the beads were liquid. I stopped and called pelletts4fun and ask them what I was doing wrong. The guy said the outside of the cookie cutter is getting too hot and melting the beads before the middle can melt and that I needed to turn the oven down and bake them longer. I turned it down to 330 and baked 8 minutes and the middle wasn't melted. The ONLY thing I can think of is that I'm using a metal cookie cutter that is actually painted yellow instead of just the regular metal color. Has anyone had any experiences like this? I'm so frustrated with all this and trying to figure it out that I'm just about ready to quit all together. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Wow ,I am shocked to hear this . 

I have such great results with these same beads .Are you sure you received the correct beads ?

I have had no issues at all with 

my batches & have baked over 3-400 ornies already.  

Could possibly be the paint in the interior of your cutters ????? Puzzled on this & so sorry your having the issue .

Kat

3 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

Wow ,I am shocked to hear this . 

I have such great results with these same beads .Are you sure you received the correct beads ?

I have had no issues at all with 

my batches & have baked over 3-400 ornies already.  

Could possibly be the paint in the interior of your cutters ????? Puzzled on this & so sorry your having the issue .

Kat

I know I can't figure it out either. I just spoke to someone else and ask them if they have had any issues with the colored molds and they said no. Everything I'm doing seems to be the right thing, yet they still aren't coming out right.

9 minutes ago, cswilson said:

I know I can't figure it out either. I just spoke to someone else and ask them if they have had any issues with the colored molds and they said no. Everything I'm doing seems to be the right thing, yet they still aren't coming out right.

31 minutes ago, cswilson said:

I know I can't figure it out either. I ordered the premium beads and that's what I received as far as I can tell. Have you ever heard of anyone having problems with the painted ones?

Honestly I have never used any painted cutters ,seems to me this should not be the issue .

This is really a mystery to me ,as to why the beads are causing you these problems . I would ask for a refund or assistance with the co.

I have had such  great results so far & been thru many lbs already .

I hope you can get the problem solved ,it is discourageing to say the least 

Kat

2 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Honestly I have never used any painted cutters ,seems to me this should not be the issue .

This is really a mystery to me ,as to why the beads are causing you these problems . I would ask for a refund or assistance with the co.

I have had such  great results so far & been thru many lbs already .

I hope you can get the problem solved ,it is discourageing to say the least 

Kat

Yes it is! So just to confirm that you bake yours at 350 for about 8-9 minutes?

If when you baked the beads at 330 for 8 minutes the edges were good but the middle was not done, I would have continued to bake them.  I bake mine at 350 for 13 minutes.  My oven may be off slightly; I haven't checked it.  I would say the beads in the bottom half are melted but the tops still are beads but all stuck together.  I have used the plain metal as well as coated metal cutters with the same good results.  I am also using the Premium beads from that company. 

I just finished a three-day sale and sold a ton of them.  Hang in there, if possible, until you get the oven temp and beads fine tuned. :)

GoldieMN 

1 hour ago, cswilson said:

Yes it is! So just to confirm that you bake yours at 350 for about 8-9 minutes?

Also not everyones oven cooks the same ,so keep an eye on them during cook time . I have been watching my time more closely & turned my temp down since I started this project .Seems 7-9 mins was not long enough & 375 was a bit to high .