Today’s Failures

MrDan

These are today’s failures, and I couldn’t be happier!

I think I finally found the sweet spot for this lavender fragrance, so that’s a win!

The two toned look didn’t work like I wanted because I waited just a little too long, and there was some odd bleeding on the taller one, but the still look pretty cool to my eyes!

These are the results of my experimentation of wrapping bunches of foil around a seamless aluminum mold before pouring, and even switching out the foil coils (I don’t know what else to call them) for a cold one. The one in the back is a fully insulated foil cozy! Only one color, but we’ll see what happens with that one!

E3CEEE8C-37A8-4518-AA34-4B46B1652E00.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not failures...all pouring is a learning experience. I like both of these, they look good. If you don't like the finish, try rubbing away at it with a pair of pantyhose to fine tune or smooth out the finish. I like the color fade quite well. Was the bottom part supposed to be white, by chance? It seems to me that some of the dyes DO bleed, I just had that happen a few days ago with red. I thought I had let it set almost completely, but still got pink instead of white. Show us that third one, Mr. Dan, and keep on pouring! :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunday said:

Wow ...if that's a failure...your standard are higher than mine hahahahhaah:thumbsup2: awesome candles!!

I only consider them failures in that they didn’t turn out like I was hoping, lol. I’m pretty happy with them though.

11 hours ago, Hopie said:

Not failures...all pouring is a learning experience. I like both of these, they look good. If you don't like the finish, try rubbing away at it with a pair of pantyhose to fine tune or smooth out the finish. I like the color fade quite well. Was the bottom part supposed to be white, by chance? It seems to me that some of the dyes DO bleed, I just had that happen a few days ago with red. I thought I had let it set almost completely, but still got pink instead of white. Show us that third one, Mr. Dan, and keep on pouring! :)

Failures in that they didn’t turn out like I was hoping, but they still turned out rather well! The bottom part was actually not dyed at all. I was experimenting to see if it would even be needed for such a small amount to get the look I was going for; it is needed by the way, lol

The bleed was because the outside of the candle set much quicker than the inside because of my foil cozy. The inside wasn’t set enough and bled, but the outside had already pulled away from the mold. At least I think that’s why it happened, lol

The third one was a total failure, in that I dropped it on the garage floor while I was taking it out of the mold. It sucks, but it happens, and I can reuse the wax for more experiments!

Edited by MrDan
Adding info

10 hours ago, Sunday said:

Wow ...if that's a failure...your standard are higher than mine hahahahhaah:thumbsup2: awesome candles!!

I’ve always been hard on myself when it comes to creative and artistic things; it’s in the nature of the artist to be their own worst critic, and boy am I, lol

6 hours ago, MrDan said:

Failures in that they didn’t turn out like I was hoping, but they still turned out rather well! The bottom part was actually not dyed at all. I was experimenting to see if it would even be needed for such a small amount to get the look I was going for; it is needed by the way, lol

The bleed was because the outside of the candle set much quicker than the inside because of my foil cozy. The inside wasn’t set enough and bled, but the outside had already pulled away from the mold. At least I think that’s why it happened, lol

The third one was a total failure, in that I dropped it on the garage floor while I was taking it out of the mold. It sucks, but it happens, and I can reuse the wax for more experiments!

I like them quite a bit....love the fade that you got out of it...now you know how to get that cool effect!  Shame you dropped the last one, dang it, love to see everyone's creations, keep up the good work, Mr. Dan....and don't be so hard on yourself...sometimes, our "mistakes" can turn out quite stunning! 

15 minutes ago, Hopie said:

I like them quite a bit....love the fade that you got out of it...now you know how to get that cool effect!  Shame you dropped the last one, dang it, love to see everyone's creations, keep up the good work, Mr. Dan....and don't be so hard on yourself...sometimes, our "mistakes" can turn out quite stunning! 

I’ve already written down the process and the times in my notebook! I’m getting methodical with this, lol

YES, take notes so you know how to duplicate/modify your creations! I write down detailed notes about the wax, wick, oil, dyes I've used to get a certain effect....as well as how NOT to do something, LOL!