Warm Vs Cool Environment Test

Good topic here Forrest!  I found it very interesting.....Where are you located?

Trappeur

PS:   I'm not changing my ways of testing.....I would be bonkers.....more so than I am now.....lol, 

Edited by Trappeur
  • Thanks 1

I'm about 4 hours from you in Huntsville Alabama, but next weekend I'll be checking out your candles in the shops in Blue Ridge. My wife and and I are meeting my daughter and son in law for a weekend getaway.

Oh my gosh!  So your coming to Blue Ridge...have you ever been here b/4?   You renting a cabin here?   Well I'd love to meet you and your wife...maybe we could meet for lunch or even just to say hello somewhere in downtown Blue Ridge if you like?   Would be nice to meet a fellow chandler?  But that's if you have the time though.  If you have never been to Blue Ridge, I'll tell you some places that would be interesting to go to if you would like.  I've been here for 30 years.  Just let me know but of course I understand if you wouldn't have much time.

Trappeur

Here’s why I care... I tested, retested and tested some more over the winter and spring months, had a soy candle tin that burned textbook perfect. Was over the moon happy I had finally solved the problem. Sent a couple to moonshine as the weather changed in late spring. The two she burned looked at least a full size too big from the photos. I thought, how could that be? I’ve burned dozens and they were fine. I pulled one from the same batch that had a nice long cure, and sure enough, it burned too hot. Too hot by at least a full wick size even if trimmed to a nub. This was before the weather turned normal summer hot. When I burned one during our heat wave it was about 2 sizes too big. In the hands of some rando Customer it would be a tiki torch. 

In my area temps vary by over 100 degrees throughout the seasons. People stock up with a years worth of candles. Not knowing when someone will burn one, or where in the world they will be burned, I have to wick for the warmer end of the spectrum of conditions. Customers today were from all over the world. Someone burning their tin in New Orleans would have different conditions than the Canadian or Austrian.

So I wick for warmer climes and instruct those in cooler or varied climates to leave the wick slightly longer and burn for a longer period of time if under 70* to make up for it. 

• Like 3

This makes all the sense in the world. I'm going to now "underwick" the pyramids I've been pouring, they're still burning a bit too hot for my liking. I've now got the 21 ply, and that may just do the trick. 

• Like 1

Well this is about more than I can take. I’m testing 8oz tins and two of the wicks I’m testing are CD6 and CD8, and the CD6 had a consistently bigger melt pool than the CD8. I wanted to make some fall/holiday candles in tins but now I don’t know if I should wick up or down. I think I'll make some more and with some with bigger wicks and test them in the bedroom with the window unit on. I just love making candles.

Cd6 May not be big enough to consume the wax melted by the heat of that flame. 

Cd14 for instance draws more than cd12. Cd12 ends up with a bigger melt pool but cd14 tunnels. Cd16 in that case for most was my answer in my wax. 

The length of the wick at lighting plays a big part too. A tiny difference of 1/4” can mean a lot. Ever burn a bath and body works or white barn candle? Don’t trim and that thing melts 1” deep in no time. Trim to 1/8” and it burns nice for a Couple of hours. The wick is hot enough to throw their fragrances even when trimmed short. 

Teach your our customers to trim and most problems will be solved. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 6:30 PM, TallTayl said:

Teach your our customers to trim and most problems will be solved. 

Right now my customers are my two grown children and my sisters in law, and I can't teach them anything.

• Haha 1